SIG 522 SWAT Trigger issue

D Johnson

Hi All 

I’ve a 522 swat model I’ve owned from new, probs no more than 500 rounds through it. Trigger has never been great to say the least and has from day one occasionally showed a problem when initially cocking and chambering a round, you go to pull the trigger and it pulls through it’s entire travel but fails to release the hammer. Trigger feels totally dead or disconnected, action taken was to re cock and carry on. I thought things would loosen up after a bit of use but the problem is still there. Just wonder if  any other 522 users had experienced anything similar??. Also any ideas as to any improvements to be made to the factory trigger units operation. 
cheers 

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

If you can cause it to happen without chambering a round, break it open and see what it is doing. I am not familiar with the kind of trigger arrangement the SIG has but it sounds like a bad disconnector.~Andrew

Problem is Andrew it is totally intermittent. I’ve had it open and manually cocked the hammer loads of times to try and duplicate it and have studied the release  etc when pulling the trigger to try and identify any irregularities. I’ve a couple of options left but as I said initially I was curious if anyone else had experienced anything similar. 
cheers 

Dave 

Since the hammer is cocked, and not following the bolt down, I would think it is the disconnector. or disconnector spring. I'm not sure if you have opened it up at the actual  time of failure but often things happen on firing that can't be replicated manually.  Next time it does this on it's own while firing, open it up and take a look. I tried to find a decent schematic of the trigger yesterday but couldn't. It's a puzzler.~Andrew

Never had an issue in 5 years of owning mine. Very early on I bent up a new trigger spring from piano wire. Tried several different grades until I found one that gave nice even 3lb pull but still allowed the hammer to work. Eased a bend into the hammer spring to lighten it up a bit and polished the sears with grinding paste. Performed faultlessly and still is with its new owner. It’s a very similar trigger unit to the AR layout but not the same components... ☺️

IIRC there was a YouTube vid on modifying the trigger components as I did. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2020 at 12:33 PM, Andrew said:

Dave,

Did you get it sorted out??~Andrew

Hi Andrew 

Unfortunately it’s not been out of  the cabinet lately due to work and the current events. I may well go the route as described by the burpster at some point. I do regret with hindsight  not punting it back to the dealer the first time it did it. Anyway if and when it gets sorted I’ll post it in here.

Cheers 

Dave