CSR Optic

JDT

I intend to get into CSR and from what I understand from looking into it a scope must have a maximum magnification of 4x to be allowed for use. With that in mind I started a search for a 1-4 x 24 from all the usual mid-high end manufacturers but surprisingly found very few offerings!

The only ones I've really found are:

Steiner P4Xi -  https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/p4xi-1-4x24 and

Trijicon Credo - https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-credo-1-4x24-riflescope

Are there any more suitable ones that folk in the UK have found? Does anyone in the UK have any experience / comments / reviews regarding these scopes that I found? I also noticed that both were significantly lower than MSRP on the US site opticsplanet.com, with the Trijicon coming in at $700 ($300 cheaper) and the Steiner only $570 (a massive $430 saving) and since international secure shipping to the UK was $80, purchasing from here seems like a no-brainer to me.

Any answers most welcome.

Cheers.

4.5x max magnification is Service Optic Class only, you can still have a high zoom capable scope so long as you can turn it down to 4.5x . If using a zoom capable scope that can go higher than 4.5x you must shoot and observe your shots at no more than 4.5x if you are shooting in  SO Class.

If your scope cannot be set at or below 4.5x then it can still be used but only in Practical Optic Class.

Ah right I didn't realise that, thanks for the response! Clarified a lot for me there. Means I don't have to be so restrictive. That said, I'd still like to know if anyone has any experience with these close-range optics?

Lots of people use 1-4/1-5/1-6/1-8 power scopes in service optic and keep them wound down to 4.5x as JMH said.

Choose what class you want to shoot in and choose a scope to suit you. If you are shooting in SO class then get a reticle that suits you and isn't cluttered and adjustable turrets so you can dial in ranges quickly for run downs etc.

Apart from that it's personal choice and budget.

Get a good strong mount

The top scores in both classes are similar with SO often outperforming PO, so scope magnification is often irrelevant.

If you want a high power scope and bipod, choose PO.

Both the scopes you show have capped turrets. Steiner used to do a 1-5x24 M5Xi which if you can get 2nd hand is superb and has tactical turrets. Look at the M range not the T range scopes.

Or Vortex/ S&B / Trijicon and Steiner do 1-8x24 's with tactical turrets.

Go along to a CSR shoot and see what others are using.

1 hour ago, Roy W said:

Lots of people use 1-4/1-5/1-6/1-8 power scopes in service optic and keep them wound down to 4.5x as JMH said.

Choose what class you want to shoot in and choose a scope to suit you. If you are shooting in SO class then get a reticle that suits you and isn't cluttered and adjustable turrets so you can dial in ranges quickly for run downs etc.

Get a good strong mount

The top scores in both classes are similar with SO often outperforming PO, so scope magnification is often irrelevant.

Both the scopes you show have capped turrets. Steiner used to do a 1-5x24 M5Xi which if you can get 2nd hand is superb and has tactical turrets. Look at the M range not the T range scopes.

What he said, good advice.

12 hours ago, Roy W said:

Get a good strong mount

Thanks for that mate, from what you've said I'd probably go for one of the 1-8 x 24's you mentioned and just max it out at 4.5x for service optic. I like the way SO sounds over PO (seems more restrictive and therefore challenging) but never know, may change my mind once I actually try it, as you said.

Absolutely agree on what you said about reticles, really not a fan of the increasingly cluttered ones that are coming out lately.

• 5 months later...

I'm curious regarding CSR scopes too. With the AR15 style rifle seemingly being quite popular along with the Service Optic restrictions as they are, why are the Trijicon ACOG scopes not more popular?

With the ACOG, you cannot quickly dial elevation settings for different ranges, you have to use the BDC settings on the reticle. These may not match the ammunition used, so do not give precise elevation settings, especially at the longer ranges.

You also can't readily dial for windage. Some CSR shooters dial for wind, some aim off.

With an ACOG, you have to concentrate on which elevation hash mark to use, and your point of aim on the target, for 10 shots against a time limit.

With other scopes, you just put the crosshair in the middle of the target and concentrate on squeezing he trigger instead.

ACOG's are great for their intended uses, where you don't know what range the next target is going to be, and may need to shoot in low light, but not the best choice for CSR.

Well, thank you very much sir. Rifle is ordered and should hopefully be here in Sept/Oct, I just need to sort out an optic for it. My usual shooting buddies are from the West Dorset Rifle and Pistol club and I believe they shoot in the P.O. class, so that will influence my choice of optic.

All the best
Bob

1 hour ago, BobSki said:

Well, thank you very much sir. Rifle is ordered and should hopefully be here in Sept/Oct, I just need to sort out an optic for it. My usual shooting buddies are from the West Dorset Rifle and Pistol club and I believe they shoot in the P.O. class, so that will influence my choice of optic.

All the best
Bob

I wouldn't choose a class because someone else shoots in it. Choose the class that you feel is right for you.