Balance beam powder scale

Mark II

I’m dead chuffed with it Alan..... I think consistency is key to all reloading and it pays dividends, last March I  reloaded a batch of .243’s and started using them in August....this was my first (and only) shot at 100m to check zero against the existing batch.

My regime is to de-cap, ultrasonic, salt anneal, trim as appropriate, run all cases through the rifle and neck-size or full size if they don’t chamber easily....works for me across my calibres....

My rifles are kept in the safe without scopes on ..... then it’s either a dayscope or the nv that gets fitted, with the .243 that’s several times a week at the moment (when it’s not bloody raining!)

76260F00-CD38-415F-AC46-A6BCA8FDE305.jpeg

17 hours ago, One on top of two said:

Just out of interest what type are they ? 

Frankfort Arsenal but I suspect you will find the same item with many names for the jewellery trade. Accurate enough for .303 British service rifle events but pushing things for events like the McQueens. Cost was something in the area of £45~65.

During the warmer weather the + .02gr error goes away! 

2 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

Frankfort Arsenal but I suspect you will find the same item with many names for the jewellery trade. Accurate enough for .303 British service rifle events but pushing things for events like the McQueens. Cost was something in the area of £45~65.

During the warmer weather the + .02gr error goes away! 

👍

On 2/23/2020 at 11:40 AM, 1066 said:

I think it depends to a certain extent on how much you want to spend, what sort of volume you intend to load and just what sort of accuracy you are looking for. A good beam scale, costing maybe £100 should work very well, certainly as accurate (and often better) than any of the electronic auto dispensers (RCBS, Lyman, Hornady), costing £200-400. A good beam scale will still be working just well in 10, 20 or 50 years but most of the electronic scales/dispensers will be in the bin within 10 years, and often half that,  in fact I believe most are only under warranty for 12 months

If time is of the essence, and you are not too concerned about a few kernels either way with your charges, then something like a Chargemaster might be just the thing for you. 

If you're looking for speed with even more accuracy (at a cost £6-900) then the Auto-trickler, which combines an automated powder measure, a powered trickler and a high quality lab grade digital scale into one package is the way to go.

What ever system you use, you need to bear in mind that a single kernel of something like Varget weighs around .02 of a grain, about 5 kernels to 10th grain (and many powders are considerably more chunky) so having a scale, as used in some atomic research lab that resolves to x figures, unless you intend to cut kernels in half, is a bit pointless.

If you do decide to go for an electronic set up it's always nice to have good beam scale to fall back and as a cross reference. You won't load better ammunition than you can with a good beam scale.

I still use my tuned Redding beam scale with its USB micro camera linked to my laptop. Awesome.

1 hour ago, Mark II said:

A little off topic but then I did start the thread.

On a standard day on wind etc etc how much point of aim difference would .5 grns of N140 in .308 make at 100 yards

That's not an easy thing to determine as barrel harmonics may change as well as muzzle velocity.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 9:36 AM, Mark II said:

Hello all

I am looking for a new powder scale as my old Lee scales are ok for .44 mag loading but I want something a bit more refined for reloading. 308.

I would prefer a balance beam type, so do you have any recommendations. 

Cheers Mark 

I have a Hornady balance beam, works great.