AI-AX / SSG08

bobthenailer

Now, as much as i dislike the "What do you think I should buy ?" posts i find myself asking something similar...

BUT I would like to hear from genuine users not gun shop perverts that stroke the odd rifle on a rack, scratch their operator beard whilst fondling themselves thru the "Issue" 511 Tactical pants and declare  Rifle "XYZ" cool as S**T and the Dogs danglers. 

Recently I have sold my TRG22, A fine rifle that ticked all of my boxes except... I just didn't like the position or operation of the safety catch (Pre 2013 Model)

If the bolt was lifted out of the locked pposition by just a couple of mills the the safety would become difficult to dis-engage, especially with cold and wet fingers following a long stalk in the hills whilst culling. That was and is my only gripe with the TRG22 and this problem was evident on all of the three TRG's that I have owned.

It was a fault that I was aware of and I was happy to excuse the small niggle for what was an otherwise fine rifle.

I have recently been in the market for a replacement and I had settled on the SSG08 as I am a fan of the Safbolt system, I have used the SSG69's in one form or another for some serious culling contracts and I must say they never let me down but unfortunately they are out of production. I'm fully aware that the SSG08 and the 69's are completely different in just about everything except the SSG name.

Now the problem, I have owned 2 full  blown AI AW's and not wishing to upset anyone with their own AW's i found them difficult to live with, They seemed much heavier and for me difficult to get into field positions behind, (The TRG with folding stock was almost the same weight as the AI). I used the first one for a couple of years and sold it on. The second one I had for only a matter of months before I returned to the TRG.

Looking at the new AI-Ax it feels much more user friendly and less cumbersome and the quick change barrel is an added bonus.

I'm asking for those users for a genuine assessment in using either the AX or the SSG08 for field use / contract culling work etc How they both work when out in all weathers in the dirt and grime.  

Kind regards,

Bob.

Haven’t used SSG08 but have Ai Ax for cull work which I carry out in a regular basis - that work is busy within target rich environments (I’m not expanding further but sure you get the gist)

The Ax was 2013 model (old butt assembly) it never failed in all weathers 

Just damn heavy, even when working from a Gator or Polaris side by side atv 

You May want to consider an alternative less spendy rifke in the form of SSG 3000

They are reliable , offer locked bolt with safe applied and also just plain work 

Less weight than the Ai or Ssg08

As accurate from my experience 

Mag is single stack (no great shakes there) rifle designed to work in all weathers that Scandinavia will throw at you

Cheers Ronin, Thank you for that, I understand your cull work, Until last season I was in the same line as work :-) 

I did look at an SSG 3000 Patrol, It seemed to tick all the boxes but unfortunately the dealer that had a couple of new ones in stock has since sold them.

Not so worried about the cost (Not trying to sound a knob there) I'm hoping to find something to last me the next 10 years plus...Told myself that many times ha ha.

Kind regards,

Bob.

Understood 😄

There are others available in the UK

several places are advertising them and second hand is better value 

Barrels to be had from Sykerlinken (spelling) in Norway or use extension and fit custom (as I have done)

Also thinking outside the box - consider PGW Coyote - three position safety that locks the bolt and interrupts firing mech mechanically 

very safe - not common here but they do come up

Set in a PSE E tac the action is also perfect for cull work (that’s my other working rifle ) 

some available in Mac A5 whixh is lighter than their alloy chassis 

Bob,

as a carry over from  the other thread given that you appreciate shorter barrels then the DTA srs is probably worth consideration. I had one of these along with the aw and axmc for a few years it worked well in 338lm and as a 16” barrel 308 covert - required a suppressor otherwise the scope was longer than the barrel.

I prefer the AXMC for what I think is a better quality rifle but your mileage may vary. I do think it is one of the platforms to be considered though. From experience of having TRG 21, rpa, blaser lrs2, AWs, cz 700 and others it’s surprisingly hard to come up with anything new or original between the Ax, SSG 3k and DTA  that is not boutique. The only one that  I have not used would be a Sako M10 but I have picked one up next to a humble Tikka tac A1 and wondered why so much weight.

Evening,

Having had a few SSG69’s  (currently a 243) and enjoyed the experience,  I bought a carbon stocked SSG08 with 600mm barrel in 308 and fitted with the Fortmeier bipod The experience has been all positive and one advantage over the ‘69 is the threaded barrel for when that time arrives. Its current diet of 168gr Sierra TMKs /VV N150 is yielding .3 moa groups (3shot) out to 425 metres - haven’t got access to longer range.

Sure, it’s heavy and I’m no giant but it beats going to the gym...

I have a ssg08, it’s a fantastic bit of kit but it is heavy to carry round. Super accurate with anything I’ve put in it, as you would expect with this quality of rifle. Hasn’t been out the cabinet for well over a year, could do you very good deal if your interested.

Evening, I have put a deposit against a new SSG08 but my Son in Law wants one too so I’m definitely interested if yours was at the right price? 

Can you please send me the specs and the price that you will be looking for?
I have tried to PM you but it says you cannot accept messages?

Kind regards,

Bob.

• 1 month later...