SCAM ALERT!

Christian..

Just a heads up gents,

I placed an ad as I'm still looking for a 223 AR-15 Aero Precision. Today I received an email from a member on here who joined on Wednesday "annexgunz1" hopefully admin can delete.  telling me he knows a guy called Baros in Cumbria selling exactly that and passed me his email. (cokerbaros@gmail.com)

Lo and behold Baros replies with pictures and a description of the perfect rifle.  After asking for details I received the following. When I said I could collet it all went quiet. 

686536338_Screenshot2020-02-15at23_32_31.thumb.png.f00f11c9bbda2ff49489c2c63038c678.png

502526393_Screenshot2020-02-15at23_32_57.thumb.png.5220f16228864403ee5797e55e60ead8.png

A quick searched revealed the exact same rifle for sale in Nebraska. here is the link http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/1735231/ also sporting the same description.  I'm not sure if this is a common scam but be warned there is people out there trying to rob you of you're hard earned cash. 

I'm still on the hunt for something similar to the AR in the scam so if any genuine sellers are out there feel free to contact me. 

49 minutes ago, Christian.. said:

Yeah I continued the email conversation They wanted me to drive to an address down a lane in Kirkby Stephen to do the deal with cash. Not good at all.  

This is extreme an attempt to set up an ambush style robbery, i am hoping you have reported it to the police.  At best they intended to rob you, at worst they may have had the idea of using you to gain access to your firearms.  If it was a mere robbery a bank transfer or paypal fraud would have worked, although traceable.

Hello Christian,

Here is the mail I received from him. Giving me an address.  Will you report this to the Police?   

cokerbaros@gmail.com

Good day to you Philip.
My full name is Coker Baros. Address -  Silver street, Kirkby Steven,
Cumbria CA17 4HA. I am selling it because I have two and both are in
excellent condition, so I decided to sell one of it. Yes I accept paypal
payment, the paypal you will make the payment to is myorders59@gmail.com
After you make the payment send me a screenshot of it so as I can confirm
payment. Kindly email me your postage address I will be shipping the
Holosun to. Thank you and it is a pleasure doing business with you.

Baros.

Kind Regards  Philip

35 minutes ago, pwinnall said:

Hello Christian,

Here is the mail I received from him. Giving me an address.  Will you report this to the Police?   

cokerbaros@gmail.com

Good day to you Philip.
My full name is Coker Baros. Address -  Silver street, Kirkby Steven,
Cumbria CA17 4HA. I am selling it because I have two and both are in
excellent condition, so I decided to sell one of it. Yes I accept paypal
payment, the paypal you will make the payment to is myorders59@gmail.com
After you make the payment send me a screenshot of it so as I can confirm
payment. Kindly email me your postage address I will be shipping the
Holosun to. Thank you and it is a pleasure doing business with you.

Baros.

Kind Regards  Philip

Hi, 

Phill I also got the same address where they wanted me to go and collect the firearm from. I did pass it onto the Police although it's probably just been picked at random off the internet. 

1 hour ago, Admin 0A said:

Definitely a police issue.   Yes it could be 'normal' ne'er do wells, but I sniff a potential 'access to firearms' counter-terror issue, hopefully the police have flagged it as such and will follow up with vigour.

The user has been marked as a spammer, which prevents access.

I don't think much will be done about it from what I could ascertain. My logic was, if they where willing to meet me down a lane with cash for a firearm that I was buying. The worst outcome would be to give me a kicking and take the cash. If they where willing to do that then what's to stop them arranging to buy a firearm and doing the same. 

This needs picking up by CTB, you could be looking at simple robbery set up (meet in isolated environment and have money removed under duress) or forced to return home and have cabinet emptied 

either way the person has gone to great lengths to entice firearms holder to meet , they have also forged Driving Licence, it’s pinging numerous radars on my spectrum   

What response have you had from reporting this ?

I too had this.....there was a highlighted warning on the stalking directory. I have sent two emails to the "contact us " heading on here without reply. I also sent the same paypal account details to SD admin team yesterday, so far no response from them either ? Dissapointed !

1 hour ago, rutland12 said:

I too had this.....there was a highlighted warning on the stalking directory. I have sent two emails to the "contact us " heading on here without reply. I also sent the same paypal account details to SD admin team yesterday, so far no response from them either ? Dissapointed !

Doyou think you may be confusing the role of forum administrators with the role executed by the police?  

Similarly, if you wish to raise the issue to paypal, the prudent route may be to actually contact paypal.

Just an idea.🤔

This raises all sorts of concerns about buying firearms related goods through any shooting forum.

in the time I’ve been a forum member I’ve got to know many other members so buying or selling to them again is not a concern. But what about those not dealt with  be? It’s relatively simple to sort out obvious trustworthy members by their association with other known members. But it still leaves a few unknowns.

It’s very difficult to spot scammers, but you tune into clues if you’ve been close to being hooked in before.

For me, the key learnings from this episode is:

1. Never meet in a remote location. Choose a site like Bisley or Diggle.

2. Don’t invite an unknown to your home.

3. Assuming 1 and 2, never pay until you’ve confirmed the item is genuine.

3 hours ago, Brillo said:

This raises all sorts of concerns about buying firearms related goods through any shooting forum.

in the time I’ve been a forum member I’ve got to know many other members so buying or selling to them again is not a concern. But what about those not dealt with  be? It’s relatively simple to sort out obvious trustworthy members by their association with other known members. But it still leaves a few unknowns.

It’s very difficult to spot scammers, but you tune into clues if you’ve been close to being hooked in before.

For me, the key learnings from this episode is:

1. Never meet in a remote location. Choose a site like Bisley or Diggle.

3. Assuming 1 and 2, never pay until you’ve confirmed the item is genuine.

I would add to talk on the phone, it should be reasonably easy to sniff out a fraud with a few questions.  If they claim an FAC ask for an image of it.

3 hours ago, Brillo said:

It’s very difficult to spot scammers.

Yep there's some real scumbags out there, not firearm related but about a year ago my wife's uncle who's in his 80's and is still driving came out of Sainsbury's to be greeted in the car park by some lowlifes who said he'd reversed into their car and demanded a lot of money, he knew he hadn't so got in his car and drove home, unbeknown to him they followed him home,  next thing he was being marched up his path and bundled into his house, he was made to get his building society books then driven to the town and taken in to draw out around £3000!! and all the time to scared to do anything.