338 Lap Mag powder choice

DM308

Anyone use Reload Swiss powders for 338 Lap mag? 

Looking at load data on their website (even the customer supplied data) speeds don't look that impressive

Got Viht i can use - i'm just curious . . . 

Not a .338LM, but my .338 Norma Magnum has only 6% less case capacity. So it’s close.

Using a 300gn Lapua Scenar, Ive tried RAMSHOT Magnum and got good accuracy but it was very dirty and my ES/SD was all over the shop.

I now use RS80 (bought 12KG) and my current load of 94.5gn gives me 2780fps from a 27” barrel. ES = 20fps. SD = 7fps.

RS80 is an excellent powder, very consistent, yields excellent accuracy, clean burning and gives good velocity without being too ‘hot’ like the VV560, VV565 and VV570 powders are.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:56 PM, meles meles said:

That sounds quite a hot load, Plecotus ! We're closer to 85 grains with the same powder, bullet weight and barrel length. Accurate though...

That’s a very low charge of RS80. The RS website lists a starting load of 82.6gn RS80 with a 300gn Sierra SMK. Max load is 96.6gn.

Obviously it’s all down to load length and how the chamber/throat was cut. But I would think you can go a fair bit higher safely without kaning your barrel. 

hmmm i have used rs powder in the past - with 308 and 223 but i must admit i wasnt that impressed.

I may give rs80 a go though . . providing i can source some cheap enough.

I'm using 250 lapua scenars (at the minute)

Standard ax 27" barrel

9 hours ago, DM308 said:

hmmm i have used rs powder in the past - with 308 and 223 but i must admit i wasnt that impressed.

I may give rs80 a go though . . providing i can source some cheap enough.

I'm using 250 lapua scenars (at the minute)

Standard ax 27" barrel

Hmm, a 250gn bullet. Tbh, I suspect you may struggle to generate the velocity you want/need. I think RS80 may be just a tad too slow. It really is better suited to the 300gn bullets to help it generate good velocity. My opinion anyway.

If I were shooting the 250s, I’d look at a slightly faster burning powder, like RS70 ( although RS70 and all the VVN5xx series are quite hot burning) or possibly the single base (and cooler) VVN165. VVN165 will definitely produce less barrel heat but may lack top velocity...if you chase that sort of thing. But it will suit the 250s better I think.

Might be worth another .338LM who shoots the 250s chiming in.

If it's of any interest I use 95g of N570 with the 250g scenars to get 2950fps from a 30 inch barrel.

I hear what is said about the N5 series and barrel life but with a 338 you don't fire huge amounts unless you have deep pockets!

8 hours ago, DaveT said:

If it's of any interest I use 95g of N570 with the 250g scenars to get 2950fps from a 30 inch barrel.

I hear what is said about the N5 series and barrel life but with a 338 you don't fire huge amounts unless you have deep pockets!

Ha, I wish this was true.

Last time out with my 338NM, I went through 125 rounds. I definitely don’t have deep pockets...but I had a bloody big smile on my face 😆

9 hours ago, DaveT said:

cheers for that. I'll work up some loads looking at the book 96 is max load? should be able to get something to work.

Catch - 22 - i like your style !!!!! 

Apologies for the late return to commenting on this thread - my wife has been unwell and in hospital.  On the mend now, I'm pleased to say.

I've had no pressre signs at all with my 98grn of RS80 behind a 300grn Berger bullet.  I will admit, I've not not shot it that much, thanks to other issues getting in the way but the 130 rounds I've put through it thus far have worked as well as I was hoping. 

Glad your Mrs is on the mend!

On the point about zero pressure, using the 94.5tn RS80, I too have no pressure signs at all. I will stoke it up a bit more to see where the max is, but so far I’m happy with the speed of launching a 300gn pill.

But I do think RS80 is one of those powders that seems very stable and doesn’t pressure spike, unlike how some powders do.

2 hours ago, Plecotus said:

Apologies for the late return to commenting on this thread - my wife has been unwell and in hospital.  On the mend now, I'm pleased to say.

I've had no pressre signs at all with my 98grn of RS80 behind a 300grn Berger bullet.  I will admit, I've not not shot it that much, thanks to other issues getting in the way but the 130 rounds I've put through it thus far have worked as well as I was hoping. 

ok great, giving me something to go on - thanks - hope your wife is on the mend !!

Thanks, guys.  My missus is home now.  Not 100% bt well on the way.

Only problem I've had with RS80 is that it's the only powder I've tried, thius farr, which doesn't flow well in my autothrow.  I've got a few suggestions I'm going to trym next time I load some.  Other than that, I find it's great and I use RS powders for pretty much eveyrthing with the exception of my .44 these days.