100m to 1000m

martin_b

Hi all, 

Im off to the NEC this weekend to pick out a new 6.5CM for myself. Ive got a fair idea of what i need in the rifle, but I dont have  much idea about a scope to go with it

Any suggestions on what i should be looking at in the  <£1K range?

TIA

Firstly work out whether you prefer Mils or MOA's. Then whether First Focal Plane or Second. Once your armed with this information, the number of scopes in your list will be much smaller. Also what magnification you want - at 1000m I use about 20-25x magnification, but others in my club like it higher.

For 1000m you'd benefit from scopes with fine adjustment in the turret- I've found the 0.25 minute clicks are too coarse, so use 0.125 minute ones.

At 1000m bullet drop on my favourite 6.5CM load is around 35MoA, so you'll need a scope with at least 70MoA of vertical adjustment and I'd suggest 100MoA would be more sensible OR get a rifle with a 20MoA rail. A friend has a Tik-Tak in 6.5CM and apparently they don't take replacement rails very easily, so he struggles with it at 1000x and will have to resort to swopping-out his favorite scope for one with greater elevation or using the adjustable Burris Signature mounts (which I've found to be a bit of a pain in the neck).

Talking of mounts, don't forget to budget for a decent set. The cheapest I'd go for are the Warne ones, which I've found reliable, but you can go much more £££ than them.

As for a brand, that's really personal choice. I like Sightron SIII 's so much I've got two. Others in my club love their Vortex's, IOR's etc. If you want something European, don't be scared of second-hand. Reticule choice is similarly a personal choice, but if you want to do more tactical shooting at different ranges, then the more complex reticules are better.

Triffid

Sound advice from Triffid.  If you go FFP, do check out the reticle at maximum magnification as some are 'thicker' than others.  Illumination is largely irrelevant unless you plan on low-light shooting.

I'd defo look at secondhand as you may get something near perfect and save a shed load for ammo.

2 hours ago, Triffid said:

Talking of mounts, don't forget to budget for a decent set. The cheapest I'd go for are the Warne ones, which I've found reliable, but you can go much more £££ than them.

As for a brand, that's really personal choice. I like Sightron SIII 's so much I've got two. Others in my club love their Vortex's, IOR's etc. If you want something European, don't be scared of second-hand. Reticule choice is similarly a personal choice, but if you want to do more tactical shooting at different ranges, then the more complex reticules are better.

Triffid

+1 on Warne mounts. I have them on my 6.5CM and my .223. Also +1 on the Sightron SIII which I think are great value. 
That being said, I have a Vortex Diamondback on my .223 which I assembled as a 300 yard plinker that shoots out to 1000 yards in favourable conditions.

Thanks Guys, 

Definalty Mils, ( I'm a physicist 🙂  )  and I already have an FFP scope on one of my rimfires ( a falcon)  which I like. What concerens me more is will most scope have enough "clicks" to get me from a zero at 100m out to maximum Bisley distances and  maybe beyond?

18 minutes ago, martin_b said:

Thanks Guys, 

Definalty Mils, ( I'm a physicist 🙂  )  and I already have an FFP scope on one of my rimfires ( a falcon)  which I like. What concerens me more is will most scope have enough "clicks" to get me from a zero at 100m out to maximum Bisley distances and  maybe beyond?

+1 for mils.   I'd strongly recommend a 20moa rail or mount.  Check specs for plenty of elevation.

As it's a new gun, you may as well go the full hog and start afresh.

get a 20moa rail to ensure you have loads of elevation.

id recommend you look at a vortex viper pst 5-25x50 FFP in Mrad 

the mrad scb ret is clear and easy to read - uncluttered unlike the moa one & being FFP it will be easy to read and adjust for fall of shot 

• 5 months later...

Just to round this off I got a Gen1 Vortex Viper 5-25 50.  Shot with it at 900 @ Bisley on Saturday. Very impressed.  

However I fear the day has opened another can of worms!

Welcome to the joy of long range shooting. Much to be learnt, and unfortunately the further you shoot the more it appears to be black magic... 
Seriously some of the people wind reading on Stickledown are like shamans or something I swear!

6 hours ago, Rem Imperri said:

Welcome to the joy of long range shooting. Much to be learnt, and unfortunately the further you shoot the more it appears to be black magic... 
Seriously some of the people wind reading on Stickledown are like shamans or something I swear!

That would be the art of S.W.A.G ( scientific wild ass guess). Tech, experience, intuition and let it rip and see what happens. A great way to look heroic or a confirmed goat. best wishes for good shooting.