Wind damage at Eskdalemuir

Is Eskadale muir range not planned to close anyway and the new range that’s being built to take over in April? Mark was taking people round it last Saturday.

It would certainly be a real shame to loose the opportunity to use this sort of facility. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that Marc was opening another range for Police and Military use based upon 2k max with moving targets etc whilst keeping the Eskdalemuir range open as normal . In the meantime it appears that the land owner and the 50 cal club have had secret talks to setup the same range but run by the 50 cal club . Gardners have control of the land around the existing range which I'm guessing would have issues for anyone wanting to run the current range due to the fall out area and with the land owner going behind Marc's back I can't see that being an option . Please don't take this as gospel as this is what I've gathered speaking to a reliable source.

I would Imagine that my membership along with others would be used at the new range ????????

OSOK

1 hour ago, OSOK said:

My understanding is that Marc was opening another range for Police and Military use based upon 2k max with moving targets etc whilst keeping the Eskdalemuir range open as normal . In the meantime it appears that the land owner and the 50 cal club have had secret talks to setup the same range but run by the 50 cal club . Gardners have control of the land around the existing range which I'm guessing would have issues for anyone wanting to run the current range due to the fall out area and with the land owner going behind Marc's back I can't see that being an option . Please don't take this as gospel as this is what I've gathered speaking to a reliable source.

I would Imagine that my membership along with others would be used at the new range ????????

OSOK

Well as had  been said In several posts until the facts are out then it’s best to reserve judgement upon what’s actually gone on. But if any other club or organisation has gone behind another’s back to better its own situation at the expense of others then quite frankly it’s a disgusting low trick to pull. If and that’s a big if, the 50 cal club has done what is being suggested then it’s a total snub to all those whom backed what is basically an elite or at least for most a financially unobtainable form of shooting when the drive to ban it was in motion. Hopefully the 50 cal club or at least a member will enlighten people as to how they view all this. 

If what has been posted in the last couple of updates it’s true , it beggars belief 

I wonder what liabilities are incurred for people conducting such underhand activities if the above post information is true ,,

This raises some questions:

Was the intention for Gardner's to run both ranges going forward?

Would the new 2K range take over for GGC members anyway?

Could FCSA negotiate the danger area leases?

9 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

But maybe the biggest question is why FCSA think it's a good idea to take over a facility and make it exclusive to them and affiliates?  Please do tell.

You know pops I was just in the middle of asking pretty much the same. But you have hit the nail better On the head  than me. 

1 hour ago, Popsbengo said:

But maybe the biggest question is why FCSA think it's a good idea to take over a facility and make it exclusive to them and affiliates?  Please do tell.

Hi, 

yes it was our intention to run both ranges going forward, along with others we have currently in development elsewhere

GGRR club members will be using the new range, and they will have access, via their membership, to ANY long range facility we operate

No, FCSA cannot negotiate a lease on the RDA as this is held by Marc Gardner personally for many years yet to come

Good question, i have no idea what FCSA were planning for the future but all they have achieved is the closure of the facility.

Anybody interested in this situation can read our public announcement that i put on Facebook just now

38 minutes ago, Marc Gardner said:

Hi, 

yes it was our intention to run both ranges going forward, along with others we have currently in development elsewhere

GGRR club members will be using the new range, and they will have access, via their membership, to ANY long range facility we operate

No, FCSA cannot negotiate a lease on the RDA as this is held by Marc Gardner personally for many years yet to come

Good question, i have no idea what FCSA were planning for the future but all they have achieved is the closure of the facility.

Anybody interested in this situation can read our public announcement that i put on Facebook just now

Marc, some of us avoid Facebook like the plague - any chance Helen could send out the post to members please?

On 2/17/2020 at 3:31 PM, Popsbengo said:

Marc, some of us avoid Facebook like the plague - any chance Helen could send out the post to members please?

Cut & Paste job

There has been a lot of speculation and mis-understanding so here is an account of what has happened regarding Eskdalemuir 2 Mile Range.

Marc Gardner set up the range in partnership with the landowner over 2 years ago and it was an incredible achievement involving a significant amount of work and site meetings with all the authorities necessary to get the Approvals and permissions in place. Whilst the firing point and targets themselves are all sited within the boundaries of Over Cassock Farm, the Range Danger Area encompasses neighboring properties for which Marc had taken on the Lease for sporting rights, alongside this, the neighboring landowner gave Marc and his club, Gardners Guns Rifle Range permission to use the additional landmass for use as the RDA and to 'Over shoot'.

Two years and a lot of blood, sweat and tears later and the range was starting to gain worldwide renown with bookings for both our club and outside clubs increasing and interest from all over Europe to use the facility for specific training events, then the owner of Over Cassock dropped a bombshell on us just before Christmas saying he was going to close the facility and we would need to vacate by 31st March 2020.

Obviously we were upset, however, we have had another range in development for the past 8 months that was aimed at being a purpose built College of Policing Training facility which we could utilize for our membership instead, so plans were made to move our base of operations to the new site for a seamless transfer at the end of March.

As part of the Scottish Government Home Office Approval for Eskdalemuir 2 Mile Range and our club, we are legally required to notify them of any changes including a move of venue, which we have done, we also had to notify Police Scotland Firearms dept, and due to the fact we were in the middle of a planning application on the site which needed to be withdrawn, Dumfries and Galloway Council were notified also. Our own firearms dept, Cumbria Constabulary have also been notified as they are in charge of our club on the other side of the border.

Moving forward to just after Christmas and we were told by our club members that they had been told by the farm manager of Over Cassock that the range wouldn't in fact be closing but that the FCSA were taking over instead and we were told that this had been negotiated between the FCSA and landowner for a number of months previously. At this point we tried, without success to point out to the involved parties that the range could not exist without the additional permissions given to Marc personally, and via the lease, due to Over Cassock not having sufficient landmass for a legally required Range Danger Area, and requested that the landowner reconsider his position with regards to asking Gardners Guns Rifle Range Club to withdraw. We have received no replies to this other than a change of date asking us to withdraw by 12th Feb instead of the previously agreed 31st March.

Following on from several phone calls to Marc this weekend it is apparent that FCSA have gone public with their intention to take over the range despite our advise that it is no longer fit for purpose, and Marc was contacted by Police Scotland advising us to ensure non of our club members shoot at Over Cassock as the range is no longer fit for purpose.

Going forward...... GGRR Club members will still have a long range shooting facility, no need to panic, just drop me an email for more info helen.gardnersguns@gmail.comMarc is confident that any of you that has previously visited our 2 Mile range will have their socks blown off at the new one!

I wonder how the area of forestry behind the 1000 yd targetry is to be removed / protected as that is immediately behind the targets and within the danger area template  and, as has been posted before, it appears not to be within the area of permission for the people using the firing point ?

The post lifted from the FCSA creates more questions than answers 

not sure I would be happy using the range without full resolution of the situation of the area beyond 1000 yds 

I value my FAC too much for that

10 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

FCSA members are very quiet on this.  Care to share a view?

Would much rather collate the facts of the situation and see what drops out than speculate . I have seen many threads deteriorate into a non sensical slanging match based on hearsay .

Obviously keen to see a shooter friendly outcome as we have precious little by way of these type of facilities in this country .Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

45 minutes ago, gazzarM1 said:

Would much rather collate the facts of the situation and see what drops out than speculate . I have seen many threads deteriorate into a non sensical slanging match based on hearsay .

Obviously keen to see a shooter friendly outcome as we have precious little by way of these type of facilities in this country .Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Very true but it’s looking like there is a huge disparity in the facts/detail contained within the information that is coming from both the concerned parties !!

• 2 weeks later...