Wind damage at Eskdalemuir

Looks like it's been a bit windy at Eskdalemuir - for those that don't know, the benches used to be under a canopy with side & front screens !

firing point.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, saddler said:

To be fair, the roof elevated by 12" every time someone let off a 338 under it

Sad to see the damage...no doubt some local sheep have taken up scrap collecting

338's are tame. The .50's clear all your kit off your bench

I’m sure it will be replaced very soon - it shouldn’t affect range use anyway 

2 hours ago, gruntus said:

At least it will provide more ventilation, 🙂a number of people have felt ill (myself included) with the amount of fumes blown back into the area from the muzzle brakes of the larger calibres.

Its sometimes like a scene from Apocalypse Now! 😁

A thumping headache and feeling ill as I travel home tells me I've had a 'blast'  😁

12 minutes ago, Gluv said:

Concussions all round , it's not the fumes

You're probably right,  +400  .338's being loosed through muzzle brakes to the left, right and straight ahead does feel is a bit rough on the noggin even with double ear protection.

7 minutes ago, Kipper said:

Judging by the email I received this morning its not the end off the world. 

that email raised more questions than it settled for me

24 minutes ago, gruntus said:

I'm meant to be there next week and I haven't received any info, is there anything I need to be aware of? (you can PM me if its sensitive).

All the best

G

I suggest a call or email to Helen.  Members of Gardner's Guns should have had an email this morning.

2 hours ago, gruntus said:

I'm meant to be there next week and I haven't received any info, is there anything I need to be aware of? (you can PM me if its sensitive).

All the best

G

Anyone know the basic outline as to what’s actually happening here. E Mail has been read but the background to it all would be nice to know. You would have thought all shooting disciplines, clubs and organisations would pull together nowadays. Lot of people including myself signed off the petition and wrote to my MP ref the proposed 50cal ban even though I’ll more than likely never own one. As in all things there will be two sides to the story but an explanation from both parties would be interesting. 

From what I have heard there may have been some skulduggery regarding the lease on the ground by another club. If this Is true it is very disappointing behaviour on their part.
Unfortunately they do not sound to have secured the surrounding land so may not have an adequate danger area to allow safe use of the range. 
Perhaps a representative of the club in question could comment.

I've heard one side of the issue so I'm not prepared to take a position quite yet.  All I would say is, if what has been said is true then it's a damn shame.  We have enough problems with non-shooters causing grief, we should not be screwing ourselves.

34 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

I've heard one side of the issue so I'm not prepared to take a position quite yet.  All I would say is, if what has been said is true then it's a damn shame.  We have enough problems with non-shooters causing grief, we should not be screwing ourselves.

Totally agree that until both sides are aired that no position can be taken, that is why I have neither named nor attempted to speak gospel regarding the matter. I am a member of the Gardner’s Range so would definitely be interested in the other parties point of view. 

Believe there are members of the “other club”  who are on this site 

Have to agree with previous posts it would be extremely disappointing to lose the facility especially as the team at Gardners worked so hard to set it up in the first place 

The last words on the email said that members should expect a further mail over the weekend.Hope it is a favourable outcome for those that frequent the place. It has been my favourite range for a while and I have been enjoying the challenges of extreme long range shooting . Hope it continues