17HMR what to get

Popgun

i have done a 1-4-1 & have 17hmr on the ticket due back any day now.

I have a superb Anchutz 1417 LR, Deluxe with Pard 008 lrf  that is a keeper & as i have paddock perms that req a quiet rifle

So wise ones what 17hmr do i get ???

I really like the 1417 but do i need to invest so much,in a 17. i fondled a Tikka this afternoon + & a Sako Quad & a Savage, the sako shouldered much nicer than the savage

I have just gained another 600 acres of rabbit corvid land 

tia

Roger

I have a quad and just got the T1X. Cant fault either. Still early days for T1X but jumped out the box shooting 1/2moa at 100yds so happy. I think its best bang for £500 right now if happy to stay with factory stock. Quad has been a good work horse but the switch barrel thing hasn't worked for me hence the new T1X and so have a .17HMR barrel to sell.

32 minutes ago, Popgun said:

Had i not found the 1417 i would have has the Tikka 22lr

Yes I remember and at the same price I think it's a tough and personal choice; but your annie is preferable in .22lr. New Annie at current price then its a T1X for me. I narrowed it down to CZ455 stainless and T1X .17HMR. Had both in .22lr to compare. T1X won and CZ455 stainless is gone. Now have 2 T1X's and not disappointed.

Anschutz , might be pricey but absolutely brilliant , i used to have a cz455 but sold it in favour of the annie  best move ever , lighter , laser accurate , just a lovely gun to carry , shoulder and shoot 

i already have the 1417 so knew what i was getting and wasnt dissappointed

9 minutes ago, telf said:

Anschutz , might be pricey but absolutely brilliant , i used to have a cz455 but sold it in favour of the annie  best move ever , lighter , laser accurate , just a lovely gun to carry , shoulder and shoot 

i already have the 1417 so knew what i was getting and wasnt dissappointed

Here is my 1417 .22LR with its new Pard 008 lrf

20200125_131448.jpg

Ta

could be a good option as scopes in stock, so no added items to buy above purchase price

When i bought my 1417 ..LR although a high initial price tag , take off what came with it reduced it to below a new Tikka .22 LR 

17 hmr is the first ever firearm i owned , marlin 917 i think . But i upgrade to an Anshutz 1517 TH cracking gun but gave up in the end due to bad inconsistent ammo . Not sure if things have changed . My Anni used to  prefer Federal ammo and shot tighter groups with it than Remington , hornady , cci . Weirauch do a hmr ? Thats who id try 

I’m not really a fan of the Quad although it is a very capable rifle in HMR my mate has one with NV permanently mounted on it...

the Finnfire is another step up though, the stock is much slicker for not being so ‘ambidextrous’  and isn’t trying to be all things to all men.... It’s a different rifle to the Quad and IMHO better for it.... 

try and find one to play with...

46 minutes ago, The Burpster said:

I’m not really a fan of the Quad although it is a very capable rifle in HMR my mate has one with NV permanently mounted on it...

the Finnfire is another step up though, the stock is much slicker for not being so ‘ambidextrous’  and isn’t trying to be all things to all men.... It’s a different rifle to the Quad and IMHO better for it.... 

try and find one to play with...

I think only the Finnfire 2 is available in .17hmr and not original finnfire, but I might be wrong, (someone on here will know). Anyway if that is so then probably more unpopular option than quad by all accounts. Really only a quad without barrel switch feature so not sure its a step up? Nothing wrong with Quad anyway; or most of the .17hmr rifle options. Most issues have been with ammo if at all. Like any its finding one that shoots the ammo available and probably CZ least fussy?  After that choice is personal preference.     

My feeling about HMRs is the same as .22LRs - the choice of gun doesn't make much difference, you just need to get lucky finding ammo that works in whichever you buy and then buy as much of the same lot as poss. I have a 1417 .22 and a Lithgow HMR which I'm very happy with - but they don't shoot any better than my mates CZ's in the same calibres, or another chaps Sako and Browning something-bolt. If I was buying again I'd probably get another Tikka due to the T3 foot print and the weight as my Lithgow is fairly hefty.

On 2/7/2020 at 5:25 PM, GT3_richy said:

My feeling about HMRs is the same as .22LRs - the choice of gun doesn't make much difference, you just need to get lucky finding ammo that works in whichever you buy and then buy as much of the same lot as poss. I have a 1417 .22 and a Lithgow HMR which I'm very happy with - but they don't shoot any better than my mates CZ's in the same calibres, or another chaps Sako and Browning something-bolt. If I was buying again I'd probably get another Tikka due to the T3 foot print and the weight as my Lithgow is fairly hefty.

Certificate came back today

17hmr + Mod + 600 rnds added
.22 air + mod removed
Oh its also an "open ticket" now
Collecting an Anshutz 1517 t/h on Saturday

Anchutz 1517 17hmr
In really unused condition, not a mark on it
Simmonds Expedition 6-18x42 ao scope - Wildcat Panther Mod - Garland Assult Rifle Slip 45
180 rounds

well pleased, would have preferred the 2 stage trigger, but hey ho
Im very pleased with the rifle & cant wait to get out

20200208_144255.jpg