.22 LR ELR Bullets from Cutting Edge

Lot of interesting things going on in the 22rf world outside the standard 25 & 50 yard target competitions.

Be interesting to see how they turn out - do not think you could use them at Bisley though being ‘solids’?

Also see that faster twist barrels are featured in a few posts elsewhere, 1:9 (or faster) as opposed to the normal 1:16’ish twists  of most barrels?

There is mention of only 60% of the 22rf’s BC being utilised by 1:16 barrels, interesting but i cannot find any real info on this - only the usual, mostly anecdotal, stuff? If anyone can point me at good info, even empirical, please do?

Terry

I get to shoot .22lr out to 200, 300, 400 and even 500 yds with decent results shooting an Annie 54. Im a member of the LRRFC. Some interesting information can be found on the site. 

https://sites.google.com/site/thelongrangerimfireclub/home/longrange-rimfire-ballistics

14 hours ago, aleale13 said:

I get to shoot .22lr out to 200, 300, 400 and even 500 yds with decent results shooting an Annie 54. I'm a member of the LRRFC. Some interesting information can be found on the site. 

https://sites.google.com/site/thelongrangerimfireclub/home/longrange-rimfire-ballistics

Thank you for the link, had a look thru'.

Does not appear that anyone is doing anything re. faster twists vs barrel lengths etc?

T

• 1 month later...

Certainly interesting to see how this pans out. Personally I think it's a bit of a longshot, you are still stuck with a heeled bullet design which can't do the BC any favours, and being a solid copper bullet I can't see it seating into the rifling easily  as a lead bullet does on a short throated match rifle chamber.

On the other hand, it would be great to see a .22lr being able to approach the accuracy at 100 yards we have come to expect from a good centrefire.

Yes, AGUILA do a 60gn (950fps - 120ftlb) but I would have thought stability would be an issue with a standard 16 twist.

That Aguila round, the SubSonic Sniper, was designed by a friend of mine and was specifically designed to be used in the Ruger Poseidon rifle with a 1-9" twist. It will function well enough in most 1-16" rifles to 25-30 yards, but to utilize it's true capability it needs 1:9 or faster. My old Brno #5 would shoot it very well to 75 yards if there was NO wind. This always surprised my friend. The Poseidon rifles came with a scope serial numbered to the rifle, with stadia set to zero at 25 yards, laddering up to 150 yards. They are very accurate rifles. Even at 950 fps the 60 grain bullet hits very hard.~Andrew

On 3/9/2020 at 10:37 PM, No i deer said:

I tried some of them aguila and they were real bad but I think the twist wasn't fast enough to stablize them....

I've got some of these 60gn SSS (Sniper Sub Sonic) ammo and you're correct they are crap in a standard 22 barrel.

But put them through an AR with a 22conversion kit (in a 1:8" barrel) they are extremely good, I was surprised. Not tried them at great distances but up to 50 they are very good, I wonder how the sub-sonic mv will affect longer range performance.

If they could make them faster then the longer distances would be interesting to see, but perhaps then you might as well get a WMR.

5 hours ago, Mattnall said:

I've got some of these 60gn SSS (Sniper Sub Sonic) ammo and you're correct they are crap in a standard 22 barrel.

But put them through an AR with a 22conversion kit (in a 1:8" barrel) they are extremely good, I was surprised. Not tried them at great distances but up to 50 they are very good, I wonder how the sub-sonic mv will affect longer range performance.

If they could make them faster then the longer distances would be interesting to see, but perhaps then you might as well get a WMR.

Trouble is they would then go trans sonic pretty soon and that might well spoil the accuracy. Also the supersonic crack would negate some of the gains of a good moderator.

David.