Stock upgrade for Ruger American predator .223

Hi

I am pondering if i should upgrade the stock on my Ruger American  predator .223 . I read an article  on thames valley guns where he upraded his .308 predator using the Magpul hunter stock, he reported a significant gain in accuracy, I am quite happy with the current accuracy of mine, sub MOA (just) at 100 meters, using home loads 24.5gr N140 with 69 gr Sierra Tipped Match kings, but was wondering if i could squeeze a little more out of it, plus it woudl be nice to have a more adjustable stock.

However not sure what stock would be suitable ? it would appear that the Magpul stock is not suitable for a .223 rifle ? also looked at boyds but was not sure what would be suitable. So has anyone upgraded a .223 predator ? if so using what stock. Thanks Neil

https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/ruger-american-223-stock-replacement.6947542/page-2

This is an interesting topic on snipershide. The magpul stock uses AICS pattern magazines and doesn’t appear to feed properly unless you use accurate mag extended feed lip .223 magazines. 

MDT also make the Oryx stock also AICS comparable. 

The only factory magazine compatible stocks appear to be Bell and Carlson and Boyds 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2020 at 1:12 PM, Andrew said:

I have the MagPul on a Ruger Predator 6.5 and love it. If this mag ever materializes, I will use in in my 223.~Andrew

Same here, I was very happy with the performance of the Ruger,  it was just a shame it was let down by the Fisher-Price stock, I bought a MagPul for mine and it's now a much better rifle 

On 1/28/2020 at 10:56 PM, Gunny bedford said:

Hi

I am pondering if i should upgrade the stock on my Ruger American  predator .223 . I read an article  on thames valley guns where he upraded his .308 predator using the Magpul hunter stock, he reported a significant gain in accuracy, I am quite happy with the current accuracy of mine, sub MOA (just) at 100 meters, using home loads 24.5gr N140 with 69 gr Sierra Tipped Match kings, but was wondering if i could squeeze a little more out of it, plus it woudl be nice to have a more adjustable stock.

However not sure what stock would be suitable ? it would appear that the Magpul stock is not suitable for a .223 rifle ? also looked at boyds but was not sure what would be suitable. So has anyone upgraded a .223 predator ? if so using what stock. Thanks Neil

Is your current stock the newer AI magazine one? I've read there's a different in the bolts between the older and newer designs (this was for a 308 so may not be the same with the .223).

Where are you based? I' could pull the stock off my 6.5 for you to try if you're either in the North East or go to Bisley (I have some MDT AI .223 mags to try too).

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 2:05 PM, Deker said:

Same here, I was very happy with the performance of the Ruger,  it was just a shame it was let down by the Fisher-Price stock, I bought a MagPul for mine and it's now a much better rifle 

Well Gunny Bedford hows it going with the Magpul stock and R A Predator?