So . . . i have a 308 RPA - 16" barrel and i have to say - it's a tack driver, never let me down once and despite the lack of size - it still holds 1 moa at 1000yds !!

Now, i'm thinking of getting a 338 - but, undecided what to go for - i was all set for an RPA but . . . i've heard the 338's have issues with snapped firing pins - the 5 round mag puts me off and apparently they are just bloody uncomfortable to shoot!

The TRG doesn't appeal as i know they have had some issues in the past - triggers etc

Can anyone comment on the above? apparently 3 RPA's had to be pulled off the line at Bisley recently as they all had firing pin issues

Any info greatly received!!

10 minutes ago, DM308 said:

So . . . i have a 308 RPA - 16" barrel and i have to say - it's a tack driver, never let me down once and despite the lack of size - it still holds 1 moa at 1000yds !!

Now, i'm thinking of getting a 338 - but, undecided what to go for - i was all set for an RPA but . . . i've heard the 338's have issues with snapped firing pins - the 5 round mag puts me off and apparently they are just bloody uncomfortable to shoot!

The TRG doesn't appeal as i know they have had some issues in the past - triggers etc

Can anyone comment on the above? apparently 3 RPA's had to be pulled off the line at Bisley recently as they all had firing pin issues

Any info greatly received!!

Can't comment on RPA firing pin problems - seems rather worrying.

In general, depends what you want to do with it.  Custom or Factory ?

I have a Dolphin chassis Barnard PL with Truflite UM 32". No magazine as I load long and don't need one anyhow.  It's very accurate and didn't break the bank.  The Barnard trigger is excellent, the chassis is easily adjusted to fit perfectly (necessary when pounding yourself with .338)

AI also make a very nice rifle but a tad more dosh.

Make sure you're getting a twist rate suitable for big pills as 250gn doesn't cut it at 1mile plus.

My custom Defiance Mutant in Eliseo chassis has been flawless - no issues what so ever.

With a heavy barrel (mine is 27” inch, 1.30” at the shank, straight for 5” then gentle taper to 1.2” at muzzle), a decent muzzle brake (I’ve a 419 Sidewinder...don’t use the moddy much) and a straight recoiling stock, recoil is minimal. I liken mine to a .308 with heavy load...though the concussion/blast from the brake is significant.

I concur with Pops, get a good twist. I went with a 1.9-3” Bartlein and shoot 300gn Lapua Scenars into tiny holes.

5 shot groups during 100m load development below...new brass, hadn’t even adjusted seating depth or neck tension yet!!

E845D871-D6C4-49A6-8899-FC47FDAAE9F0.thumb.jpeg.315a39dd53a0f40f2d192e3504745a2e.jpeg84DC292D-7D34-40D3-AC67-18BEC3E30559.thumb.jpeg.4f90f1b929d57f9596537bccfb4d2f84.jpeg283D342F-0DD0-48CE-BA15-D8CC1BBBD502.thumb.jpeg.c9cea17750d97b7d5e281240695e063e.jpeg

I've been looking about for a while for my 338lm but as it's not going to get as much range time as my other rifles it keeps getting put back on the list..

I priced a savage 110BA stealth from McAvoy last week at £2200, they have good reviews. 

I also considered the RPR but tbh I use one in 308 for a while on a range day and the butt collapsed out off adjustment about 15 rounds in which put me off and there retailing about the same as the savage.

The savage is the cheapest best shooter if found through research so far 

catch 22 that is a sweet looking unit !!

I'm mainly looking to use it at eskdalemuir / roundhouse / valhalla for the prl (long range ) stuff - i have an AI in 308 / 6.5x47 which works well but i'm itching to get that 1 mile stuff - plus - who doesn't love a new gun!!

My RPA will outshoot my longer barrelled AI all day in 308 form - hence why i was looking at  the 338 version - plus compared to the AI you can pick a rangemaster fairly cheap (ish)

I may wait until the AI AXMC is within my budget - but youre talking 10 grand for the full set up including scope / mounts etc etc

still . . . . it's only money

20 hours ago, DM308 said:

catch 22 that is a sweet looking unit !!

I'm mainly looking to use it at eskdalemuir / roundhouse / valhalla for the prl (long range ) stuff - i have an AI in 308 / 6.5x47 which works well but i'm itching to get that 1 mile stuff - plus - who doesn't love a new gun!!

My RPA will outshoot my longer barrelled AI all day in 308 form - hence why i was looking at  the 338 version - plus compared to the AI you can pick a rangemaster fairly cheap (ish)

I may wait until the AI AXMC is within my budget - but youre talking 10 grand for the full set up including scope / mounts etc etc

still . . . . it's only money

Thanks bud.

The rifle was designed and built from the ground up as a switch barrel/calibre gun.

The chassis has an ‘upper’ and ‘lower’, meaning I can switch from long action lower to a short action lower. The lowers use AICS mags and work perfectly.

The action is a custom Defiance, designed specifically to work in the Eliseo chassis. I ordered multiple bolts, so I can shoot just about anything with a .308w case head all the way up to .338NM/LM.

The barrels I have spun up include 6.5x47, .30-06 (custom throat and lead) and .338NM. By simply changing the bolt, lower unit and unscrewing the barrel I can go from basically any calibre, long or short, in a few minutes using a barrel vice, torque wrench and action wrench. If I want another calibre, I just have a new barrel made - no need to lay down extra cash for more rifles, scopes, mounts etc. Simples!