.22 rimfire match / training rifle scope finally sorted

One on top of two

Now then , 

carrying on from my last thread reading about finding  a scope for my new Anschütz MSR .22LR. I have finally made my mind up , I had originally made my mind up on using it as a 95% match rifle , and do a few comps ( club level / for fun ) however after owning this little thing for the past week I have fallen head over heels for it , it’s a marvellous thing to shoot . And with that in mind have come to the conclusion that’s it’s more than upto the job as a training rifle for my 6.5 Creedmoor. 
so it was time to gear it up for its intended use. 
first off don’t take a lot of notice of the mount , not that there’s nowt wrong with them , there just to get me on the road while I’m waiting for my Rail to arrive. .

so .... I opted for a Vortex Viper PST gen 2 in MRAD 5x25x50 IR like all my scopes it First focal plane with matched retical so fingers crossed it will fit the bill 

like I said I’m waiting for my rail , it’s a gen Anschütz model 64 M rail which will be topped with Vortex Precision matched mounts . But until then we’re good to go . 
obviously the rifle stand/ bipod is just for photo purposes ..... or is it 🤔😂.

any thoughts ? 

Stunning rifles mate and it'll be more than up to the job. 

Great fun and seriously good for training with for bigger calibres (mine isnt the MPR model but my dads is) 

I just need to get mine to shoot properly now. Previous owner had managed to damage the bedding area on the wooden stock, so need to go down the glass bedding route to fix it. 

Cheers colin , yes I don’t mind admitting it’s really grown on me over the past  week .

its just easy to shoot , so far had it out to 300 m on a 5” steel gong without to many issues , it’s the trigger that keeps catching me out haha , that said it’s slowing me down  no end and making me think about my trigger pull . 

12 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

Cheers colin , yes I don’t mind admitting it’s really grown on me over the past  week .

its just easy to shoot , so far had it out to 300 m on a 5” steel gong without to many issues , it’s the trigger that keeps catching me out haha , that said it’s slowing me down  no end and making me think about my trigger pull . 

300m is really good going mate. 

I've got my trigger down to 8oz, though I'm used to that from target prone shooting when in my teens. Breath on it and its away. 

Great Choice,

Earlier this week i took delivery of a Vortex Diamondback 6-24 X 50 FFP which is destined for my rimfire( probably an anshutz too) when i get my ticket.

I got it early as an offer was on that was too good to turn down. I am intending to get the viper for my main longer range rifle when the time comes, i am liking the idea of having the same ret on both rifles.

It looks great on your Anshutz, and is obviously performing great.

cheers

John

The gen 2 PST is a nice match to the rifle’s capabilities and your described use, I got to play with a couple earlier last year for the 1st time and was impressed.

The trigger’s are a bit on the light side, if you find the factory adjustment does not allow you to match your PRL rifle then JP products in the US do a set or alternatives that drop in to increase the pull.

accurate 22rf’s are underrated IMHO.

enjoy!!

Thanks terry , I going to try and set the trigger up properly over the weekend.i don’t think it’s way off , if I get chance I will try the rimfire and Fullbore alongside and adjust for a similar feel . 
I’m a big fan of the PST gen 2 , I feel they represent awesome value for money in the midrange area at 1K , nice glass , perfect tracking and very easy to live with day to day in the feild and the range .

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Yup. I'd like to see that as well.~Andrew

Yes me too ! Subs are generally shite at distance, but let’s be honest that’s NOT there intended use . 
if I may refer you back Andrew the post regarding the “ bug holes “ comment , I was not using subs ! I don’t think I have ever mentioned subs being that good other than the old Eley 40 grain subs being used for there intended use. 

I in fact was referring to an Anschütz match rifle ( MSR / MPR / model 64 ) which as I’m sure your aware all share the same action and using Tenex biathlon ammunition , bench rested  at a proper range . 
so it’s reasonable to assume One would achieve substantially better results than simple shooting at a paper target 100 yards away  with the rifle rested off the bonnet of the truck with good old Winnie subs . 
now as far as I know the dimensions of the “ bug hole “ have never been standardised  and so with that in mind I’m going to give the ball park figure of 10 mm C/C  so a raggedy cloverleaf/ touching . 
so with that in mind take a look at the video I posted of one of your fellow American shooters doing exactly the same thing with the same rifles / action that terry and myself have , shooting the same distance and getting what I would call bug holes .

or should I not believe  your fellow American ? 
I personally think he’s being about as honest as one can be . 

or is that not “ buggy “ enough ? 

Andrew

please take my post in the light and warm hearted manner in which it was written.

15 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Nice. I've owned M64's and they shoot. 

I'm also from Montana where we would call that a 1 inch, four shot group!  :)

Did he say what ammo he was using??~Andrew

No Andrew, but I intend to drop him an email later and see if he is kind enough to let me know . 

What with the wind here today being a solid 8-10 mph I jumped at the chance this afternoon it have a practice. First off  I had a pay at the  25 m range this morning with some Eley action ( standard MV 1090 FPS ) and then off to the farm .

set my 5” steel up with wind blowing left to right at 8-10 mph .

Shooting at 200 yards my data gave 8.2 mils elev and 1.8 mils windage , turned out to be 8.5 mils elev ( I will test some on my chrono tomorrow as there obviously not the quoted speed . 
even though I was shooting from the truck I was nicely tucked up so no real excuses there . 
finished with a 1.05 MOA group which I’m quite chuffed with to be honest as it was blowing . And to be honest the barrel has only had 150 rounds through it from new. 
But I have to say it was great fun 👍😂 and cost sod all too 

I know it’s a bit of a cheat but I have not counted the 2 flyers. I got caught out with the trigger ( 4OZ pull )  and just not thinking , so with that in mind I’m not going to count it as a proper grouping , more of a glimpse of what to expect . 

Nice start, just need to find the ‘sweat’ ammo for that particular rifle - sometimes it comes from the outfield! 😳

My MPR likes R50 & R100 which are my basic items., tried Eley, Tenex, Match & Club, the black cased stuff was crap, various flavours of SK (good but not great), CCI standard was OK but what surprised me was the HV CCI AR stuff - very good. I’ve just picked up some Lapua CenterX and Midas to try (hoping the Midas is crap due to cost 😉). The non-lubed  Bi-Athlon Lapua sounds interesting?

T

Thanks Colin , I hoping tomorrow will be kinder with the weather and getting some more lead in the barrel , that said I’m still very happy with my effort. 
I did learn a bit too , the wind takes NO prisoners even in a moderate wind with that little .22 chugging along haha 😂 

I can't deny it's a beautiful rifle and capable of excellent accuracy, as demonstrated on the steel plates, but I think the video is an poor demonstration of it's true capabilities. Showing a video of four shots with one, I would class as a flyer, and calling it "done job" is really no test at all. Having made a few videos myself, it's just so easy to show the results you want with some very simple editing. He shows four shot, three consecutive very tight then immediately cuts the video, did the fifth shot land an inch away? Was that the best three shots of a bunch of targets, it's obviously not the first as it's on top of others, so was that a cold barrel shot or not? Did he do the voice over after he had shot the target to explain why the first one was a flyer? Who knows - Three or four five shot groups on the same target might have given some genuine information - Once you are set up on the range a few extra shots takes hardy any time at all, the length of the video can be kept short if required, by double or treble speeding the dead bits.

This is a series of six x five shot groups I shot some time ago - 30 consecutive shots - Eley HP subs with a £40 forty year old semi-auto - I could easily crop out the top and bottom right groups on the right hand target and claim I have a .5moa rifle but, of course, this is not so.

You only need to look at the Eley lot testing system to see how when lots/batches of top quality match ammunition is shot through four different match barrels fixed in their solid test rig how the groups form. 

E85FTe1l.png

6 minutes ago, 1066 said:

I can't deny it's a beautiful rifle and capable of excellent accuracy, as demonstrated on the steel plates, but I think the video is an poor demonstration of it's true capabilities. Showing a video of four shots with one, I would class as a flyer, and calling it "done job" is really no test at all. Having made a few videos myself, it's just so easy to show the results you want with some very simple editing. He shows four shot, three consecutive very tight then immediately cuts the video, did the fifth shot land an inch away? Was that the best three shots of a bunch of targets, it's obviously not the first as it's on top of others, so was that a cold barrel shot or not? Did he do the voice over after he had shot the target to explain why the first one was a flyer? Who knows - Three or four five shot groups on the same target might have given some genuine information - Once you are set up on the range a few extra shots takes hardy any time at all, the length of the video can be kept short if required, by double or treble speeding the dead bits.

This is a series of six x five shot groups I shot some time ago - 30 consecutive shots - Eley HP subs with a £40 forty year old semi-auto - I could easily crop out the top and bottom right groups on the right hand target and claim I have a .5moa rifle but, of course, this is not so.

You only need to look at the Eley lot testing system to see how when lots/batches of top quality match ammunition is shot through four different match barrels fixed in their solid test rig how the groups form. 

E85FTe1l.png

Yes you have a valid point , I would like to think he’s telling the truth , naive maybe but  I don’t like being to quick to dismiss. 
with my rifle I got a 50m test group target consisting of 10 shots all neatly presented in a folder , shot by one of the chaps at Anschütz. I will go and measure it and see what we get .