.204 data

G4ZZ

Hi all 
I’m new to the .204 and reloading but not new to rifles. 
Has anyone by any chance got any load data for Vihtavuori N133 with 39grn blitzking please.
If not I was going to go by what is on the Vihtavuori app for the 40grn vmax and N133 would that be safe?

2 hours ago, Bob57 said:

.204r  25.5 --  26.8 grns  VN133  39grn s/b/k.

Thanks Bob 

Any idea on what Fps range might be? I would have bought N135 for which I have data for but there wasn't any available. 

I was getting great accuracy with 26.8 grns of vn133 with hbn coated 39 grn s/b/k doing just shy of 3800 fps, im using vn 530 at the moment but will go back to vn133 when that's  used up as there seems to be a  lot more pressure with 530 !!

26.8 grns vn133 was quoted at 3900fps with naked 39grn sbk's but I don't think you'll get that, a lot depends on barrel length, what rifle do have a barrel length?

Work your load up, and br4 or rem 71/2 primers with thicker cup will be a good idea in the 204, although I was using fed gold medal primers with the vn133 with no problems, but vn530 is a different matter!!

Good luck

49 minutes ago, Bob57 said:

I was getting great accuracy with 26.8 grns of vn133 with hbn coated 39 grn s/b/k doing just shy of 3800 fps, im using vn 530 at the moment but will go back to vn133 when that's  used up as there seems to be a  lot more pressure with 530 !!

26.8 grns vn133 was quoted at 3900fps with naked 39grn sbk's but I don't think you'll get that, a lot depends on barrel length, what rifle do have a barrel length?

Work your load up, and br4 or rem 71/2 primers with thicker cup will be a good idea in the 204, although I was using fed gold medal primers with the vn133 with no problems, but vn530 is a different matter!!

Good luck

Hi Bob 

I have Tikka T3 lite 20 inch sporter so will no doubt loose a hell of a lot of velocity. Funny you mention the BR4 primers as that’s what I have but as far as brass goes I can only get Hornady 

9 hours ago, G4ZZ said:

Hi Bob 

I have Tikka T3 lite 20 inch sporter so will no doubt loose a hell of a lot of velocity. Funny you mention the BR4 primers as that’s what I have but as far as brass goes I can only get Hornady 

It will be interesting to see what fps you get with your load with the 20"barrel, mines 24"and both my loads with vn530 and vn133 give me similar velocity around 3800fps, i found the rem 71/2 primers more consistent than br4's.

You should be able to get Norma or nosler brass for the 204 but it's not cheap 😕, I bought 300 Norma cases with my rifle and I'm hoping they'll see the barrel out!!

1 hour ago, Bob57 said:

It will be interesting to see what fps you get with your load with the 20"barrel, mines 24"and both my loads with vn530 and vn133 give me similar velocity around 3800fps, i found the rem 71/2 primers more consistent than br4's.

You should be able to get Norma or nosler brass for the 204 but it's not cheap 😕, I bought 300 Norma cases with my rifle and I'm hoping they'll see the barrel out!!

Once I have made some rounds up and found a consistent group I shall have to borrow a chrono to see how the rounds are performing. I just hope the Hornady brass will be ok for the time being. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, G4ZZ said:

Well I finally made some loads up and gave them a go. 
here are the results using: Norma cases, N133, Br4 primers and 39grn Sierra Blitzking.

9FDB6AEA-FA08-426C-A8CF-F467A15FD83A.jpeg

Looks promising mate, have you decided where to go from there? Or are you done?

2 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Looks promising mate, have you decided where to go from there? Or are you done?

I had another go today as there was no wind again I went up to 25.4 and this is what happened

0B887416-D6D5-4C77-8008-17156E576C82.jpeg

AD7D958D-F91D-4149-9626-DC6EB4C6337D.jpeg

13A447D0-6A38-46F2-9684-44229629C607.jpeg

You can't beat putting your rounds through a chronograph to see what's going on .

25.2.    3540 av fps

25.4.    3551 av fps.   +11 fps

25.6.    3660 av fps.   + 109 fps

Big jump with that extra .2 of a grn.

you're only .2 of a grn over start load at 25.6 , so if it was me and pressure all seems fine I'd load some more batches jumping up .2 of a grn and see how they group, shoot the lower grain loads first you can allways pull ones you don't want to shoot if a batch starts showing pressure!!

But if you're happy where you are with the accuracy and speed leave it there.

My .20Prac got better groups once I pushed the 39grn SBK's over the 3600fps threshold for the better ballistic coefficient value

Its .270 for the 3400-3599fps range and .287 for 3600fps and above.... I'm using N133 and now, CCI450's (Tested in April last year and came out with a tighter ES than Rem7.5's,  CCI400's and BR4's ) 

Cheers

Fizz

2 hours ago, Bob57 said:

you're only .2 of a grn over start load at 25.6

Is that from the Sierra book? Viht give a max load for N133 and 40vmax as 25.3gr on their app, dunno where my Sierra book is but dont recall N133 being listed for 204.

2 hours ago, GT3_richy said:

Is that from the Sierra book? Viht give a max load for N133 and 40vmax as 25.3gr on their app, dunno where my Sierra book is but dont recall N133 being listed for 204.

I honestly can't remember where my load data came from, had it a few years, written down in my book, but you're right, I've been looking and same as you can't find much else apart from vhit's 25.3 max for 40grn vmax.

I will carry on using 26.8grns with hbn coated bullets though, as I get good speed and great accuracy and no pressure signs with that load.

Maybe you best stop where you are g4zz just to be on the safe side😃

3 hours ago, GT3_richy said:

It’s the N133 load for the 40grn Vmax off of the Vihtavuori site I’ve used as my starting point.  

1 hour ago, Bob57 said:

I honestly can't remember where my load data came from, had it a few years, written down in my book, but you're right, I've been looking and same as you can't find much else apart from vhit's 25.3 max for 40grn vmax.

I will carry on using 26.8grns with hbn coated bullets though, as I get good speed and great accuracy and no pressure signs with that load.

Maybe you best stop where you are g4zz just to be on the safe side😃

I will try a little higher as long as accuracy isn’t affected, my cases and primers aren’t damaged in any way with the above loads. 

16 minutes ago, G4ZZ said:

I will try a little higher as long as accuracy isn’t affected, my cases and primers aren’t damaged in any way with the above loads. 

I'm sure you'll be ok going more, just be aware of pressure signs, and also when you settle on a load you could try different bullet seating depths, mine likes a jump to the lands.

Did you shoot a group with the 25.6 load while putting through a chronograph?

5 minutes ago, Bob57 said:

I'm sure you'll be ok going more, just be aware of pressure signs, and also when you settle on a load you could try different bullet seating depths, mine likes a jump to the lands.

Did you shoot a group with the 25.6 load while putting through a chronograph?

I should have tried a group but unfortunately didn’t, I’ll have to knock a few more up and wait for a wind free day yet again. 

23 hours ago, GT3_richy said:

What chrono did you use out of interest? you are shooting a 20" Tikka, right?

Sorry I’ve only now spotted your reply.

It was a Shooting Chrony chronograph, the rifle is a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless with 20” barrel.