Does anyone know the name off the club that shoot at Warcop and the distance they have ? Or any other ranges in Scotland - North England that have 1000yrd + NOT Eskdalemuir!! 

I have a 338LM slot but I'm sat on the fence as it's a expensive purchase if I cant get decent usage out the gun. I can only get out too 600yrds at the moment and that's not worth a 338LM.

Any help welcome 

I approached a while back and was told I had to attend the Longtown range 3 times before I could use Eskdalemuir.. I live 3hrs away so simply would cost me approx £500 and 21hrs off driving before I even set foot at Eskdalemuir. 

I've approached again asking for a shoot calendar as I shoot with multiply clubs and I only have one day off a week and want to be sure I could even make any shoots before I commit. I was emailed back with bank details, a form and informed shoots are posted a month in advance and I again I would have to attend longtown first. 

To be honest it sounds like a great range but I'm not paying £100 to join a club when I've never even seen the range or I am confident I'll make enough shoots to justify it and I'm certainly not doing multiply trips to longtown for safety classes after 24years off shooting with other clubs and various shooting qualifications. I understand the need for new shooters but not for a FAC holder with a NRA safety card .. let's be honest if you have a 338LM or likewise then it's not your first shoot.

I really want one and have the slot already, but it's a expensive piece off kit and a waste of not being pushed out to its potential,  I'd just end up resenting every time I opened the cabinet lol

10 minutes ago, Kipper said:

I approached a while back and was told I had to attend the Longtown range 3 times before I could use Eskdalemuir.. I live 3hrs away so simply would cost me approx £500 and 21hrs off driving before I even set foot at Eskdalemuir

Are you a current member of a target club?  If so you could book Eskdalemuir as a club day - if you can get sufficient persons to split the cost.

If you join ODRC you'll have to do probation irrespective of skill & experience (so I'm told on this forum)

I looked into it before for 10 shooters.... worked out a very very expensive day out so was a non starter.

A probation period is normally and totally acceptable,  travelling 3hrs for a safety day however . If also just noticed on the application the probationary member must attend 6 times in the first 6 months ( no chance for me with work and other shoot commitments) and must attend 4 shoots a year thus after to keep membership or it will be cancelled and local authority notified. I might make 1 or 15, without a calendar I cant be sure. It's just not the club for me, 

14 hours ago, Kipper said:

I looked into it before for 10 shooters.... worked out a very very expensive day out so was a non starter.

A probation period is normally and totally acceptable,  travelling 3hrs for a safety day however . If also just noticed on the application the probationary member must attend 6 times in the first 6 months ( no chance for me with work and other shoot commitments) and must attend 4 shoots a year thus after to keep membership or it will be cancelled and local authority notified. I might make 1 or 15, without a calendar I cant be sure. It's just not the club for me, 

^^ This is a shame! As a member of ODRC, it makes me sad to hear this 😔 

Personally I think it’s ridiculous to expect probationary shooters to attend 6 shoots in 6 months...especially considering that many shoots have been cancelled recently.

I can completely understand if you’re put off joining...I would too if I were in your position. This is not the attitude the club should exhibit if it is to both retain members and accept new ones.

As a member, I apologise that you’ve been treated this way.

29 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

^^ This is a shame! As a member of ODRC, it makes me sad to hear this 😔 

Personally I think it’s ridiculous to expect probationary shooters to attend 6 shoots in 6 months...especially considering that many shoots have been cancelled recently.

I can completely understand if you’re put off joining...I would too if I were in your position. This is not the attitude the club should exhibit if it is to both retain members and accept new ones.

As a member, I apologise that you’ve been treated this way.

don't think he means ODRC

Eskdalemuir gongs every 100 yards to 1000 then another at 1014 all ok with the 308  . Big one a t a mile , and more for the elr gang . Basic facilities so bring your own choc biscuits and sarnies . Weather has been great last 3 times . Photo was end of November cold but no wind . Try to go with an existing member as a guest or book it for yourselves with a few mates . 2.5 hour drive for us from Teesside but wort it . Cheers Rich 

17D423CB-F914-4390-88C9-D68A67F01CB3.jpeg

On 1/8/2020 at 11:03 PM, Kipper said:

I approached a while back and was told I had to attend the Longtown range 3 times before I could use Eskdalemuir.. I live 3hrs away so simply would cost me approx £500 and 21hrs off driving before I even set foot at Eskdalemuir. 

I've approached again asking for a shoot calendar as I shoot with multiply clubs and I only have one day off a week and want to be sure I could even make any shoots before I commit. I was emailed back with bank details, a form and informed shoots are posted a month in advance and I again I would have to attend longtown first. 

To be honest it sounds like a great range but I'm not paying £100 to join a club when I've never even seen the range or I am confident I'll make enough shoots to justify it and I'm certainly not doing multiply trips to longtown for safety classes after 24years off shooting with other clubs and various shooting qualifications. I understand the need for new shooters but not for a FAC holder with a NRA safety card .. let's be honest if you have a 338LM or likewise then it's not your first shoot.

I really want one and have the slot already, but it's a expensive piece off kit and a waste of not being pushed out to its potential,  I'd just end up resenting every time I opened the cabinet lol

Hi, 

Im not sure who you have spoken to in the past but the information you have isnt quite correct? Club days are planned and advertised to members months at a time, usually we set an entire years worth of dates at a time and notify the membership regularly with any updates or added dates too.

You can join our club as a full member direct, providing you are an existing full member of another club, we simply request that you contact us prior to you first visit so that we can ensure a training staff member is available to do the short safety assessment. This can be done either at Longtown or Eskdalemuir, the choice is yours. The safety assessment is irrespective of how many years you have shot, or what safety qualifications you have because all clubs and ranges have their own specific way of operating and the safety assessment is simply to enlighten new members of our range/club specific safety operating procedures.

You can attend a club day at Eskdalemuir initially as a guest to see if you are happy with our facilities and what we offer before deciding to join, again, let me know if this is of interest and i will let you know when upcoming club days are due to be held.

With regards to attendance, a Probationary member must attend the range at Longtown at least 6 times in the space of 1 year for training, im not sure where the 6 months comes from, the only other rule regarding Probationary members is that the training cannot take less than 3 months, both of these requirements are set by the Home Office and are in our Constitution as a fully Home Office Approved Club. However, i am sure that this would not apply to yourself as i understand you have full membership of other clubs already?

We ask that Full members try to attend at least 4 times in any 12 month period however we have members from all over Europe and members who work abroad for a significant portion of the year so this is relatively flexible and will depend on individual circumstances. We simply ask that you keep in touch with us and let us know if you dont think you will be able to make the required number of visits but that you still wish to remain a member of the club. Notification to the Police would only apply in the instance that your FAC was issued dependant on your membership of our club, should you then not be able to commit to 4 visits a year then the Police would need to decide if your having an FAC was appropriate. All of this is fairly standard rules for any Home Office Approved club, we dont require anyone to jump through hoops and are firmly committed to seeking new members and expanding the sport of shooting in all formats.

You can get in touch direct with me at helen.gardnersguns@gmail.com