Ambition - The magic mile

Morning :-) 
Just wanted to say hi and thanks. I’ve been using this site last year to gleen information on hand loads for my Tikka TAC3 6.5 creedmoor, came in very handy and very quickly established a quality load (139g Scenars 42.5g of RS62) which gives me under .5 moa consistency. 
I’ve stretched it out to 1000yards at bisley with results so good I couldn’t believe it! I’m interested in trying to get out to the mile mark this year so may need to pick your collective brains a bit more on where I can look to achieve that. I’m a full time dad so my spare time is a little limited but I hope from March onwards I can give one day per month to try an achieve this goal. A chap kindly chronod my loads at Oundle range this week and there running around 2620fps. So I’m wondering if this is sufficient to try and achieve the “magic mile”or is it back to load testing to try and run a little hotter? Thanks 

Just had a quick look at the data for you and although your round is good at 1000, I don’t think it’s going to work at a mile. I think a more suited bullet would be a Hornady 147 ELDM at around 2800 ft/sec and this is still pushing it and i’m not sure how they handle transonic. I’ve had good results at 1400 yards with the 147 at 2650 ft/sec but never tried the mile. You will need a good spotter at that range or a target with an indicator. Good luck with the project.

39759FCD-09D1-400F-AF1C-1ACDBCC95471.png

A9730EAA-758E-4924-A6D3-33AEA7E76E98.png

This may be of interest, lots of information on YouTube from these guys but what strikes me is that the desert situation they have is optimal for spotting bullet strike. In the UK the wetter environment tends to kill the really helpful puff of dust. At Eskdalemuir you get almost no splash at many ranges which makes life challenging to say the least. I too am hoping to pop my 1 mile cherry this year too so all the best of luck to you!!

I would also love to pop my one mile cherry. Furthest I have shot to date is 1000 metres at J3A, but that seems no longer available currently. I have a Sabatti MRR chambered in .300 win mag and using my current load it will go transonic at about 1200metres 😥

Perhaps I might win the lottery and be able to afford a 50cal 😂 Tad unlikely as I can't afford to spend money on tickets LOL

Also go on YouTube and watch some of the episodes of king of 2 miles..

They start at nearly a mile and work there way out..

Quite often they don't make it past the first target as they need 1 hit to move on to the next target..

This is proper specialized equipment and it's still difficult...

no need for a 50cal.  .338LM with 300gn Lapua Scenar or 285 ELD-M Hornday will be plenty accurate beyond 1 mile.  My pal was doing well at 1mile with 6.5CM even given the extreme elevation required (plumb bob and protractor time)

I've shot at a mile a few times with a shooting mates Barret 98b 338 lapua magnum and thoroughly enjoyed it. ETR targets and the furthest 1800yds. Used 300gr scenars and 250gr lockbases. I did have a 338 on my FAC for a while then had it removed. I might get one sometime providing I've good places to use it...

On 1/8/2020 at 7:13 AM, Chris Johnstone said:

Morning 🙂
Just wanted to say hi and thanks. I’ve been using this site last year to gleen information on hand loads for my Tikka TAC3 6.5 creedmoor, came in very handy and very quickly established a quality load (139g Scenars 42.5g of RS62) which gives me under .5 moa consistency. 
I’ve stretched it out to 1000yards at bisley with results so good I couldn’t believe it! I’m interested in trying to get out to the mile mark this year so may need to pick your collective brains a bit more on where I can look to achieve that. I’m a full time dad so my spare time is a little limited but I hope from March onwards I can give one day per month to try an achieve this goal. A chap kindly chronod my loads at Oundle range this week and there running around 2620fps. So I’m wondering if this is sufficient to try and achieve the “magic mile”or is it back to load testing to try and run a little hotter? Thanks 

Thanks very much for all the feedback, very much appreciated 😀 Really handy to see how it was done using an identical set up. 
I originally chose the Creedmoor round as my RPA .223 is pretty awesome to 600 yards with 69g matchkings, but struggled in windy conditions. I did consider some of the more punchy calibers but the running cost are just a bit too steep for my pockets at the moment. Looks like the 147g ELD match are the way to go paired up with RS60. Reckon I’ll start the load ladder tests in the spring, let’s see where it take me. Thanks again for all your input, I literally couldn’t achieve this goal without your help. 

I’ve been toying with doing this myself with my Savage 12LRP in 6.5CM but sucked it up and went for a 300wm to do it instead!

However for the creed I found a good but hot load, running 147eld M over 43.6gr of Hunter. In Hornady brass it was OK but in lap brass it’s piercing the small primers (at 2degrees C).
But it was pushing them 2712 with a 4.5sd

Given the pending 300wm (if the yanks actually export any) I’m going back to a lower node for the 6.5 for up to 1000 but thought this might be useful, always good to have options! 

147 ELDMs over 46.9gr RS70 in Lapua SRP brass & going at 2810fps. Took these, along with my A1 to Eskdalemuir a few years ago for my first pop at a mile, and they were quite the thing... :)

Dialled to known DOPE and the 7mph L-R wind at 950m, and they were spot on. Then dialled (using my own custom drag-curve in Strelok Pro) straight to the Mile Target (actually just over a mile, at 1640m, it's a 1.5m gong with a 450mm Red Centre Bull).

Anyway, big moment... a wee crowd had actually gathered to look in... others interestedly spotting from their rifles at the other benches... 1st round went 1 target Low & Right... while after a click or two's correction, the 2nd hit at 8 o'clock, 50mm inside the Red :))

So that was a Mile... Second Shot... Bull... Spotters were laughing... :)))

Ok, so, follow up wasn't so great... where the next 13 rounds yielded 2 further hits on the outer, while the rest peppered within 2 meters of the Target in the slightly choppy wind and the elevation loss stringing (which I now know affects the rifle from about round 8 onwards when it's in my preferred configuration... i.e. wearing its big Wildcat Mod).

In summary, when coupled with the right rifle, bullet and load, a mile is child's play for 6.5CM... 😉