.243 comparisons to 6br

I’ve been saving for a T3 action and rebarrel in 6br, but all in, including cerakote, it’s coming in +/- £1500. Initially, I’d thought to supply my own donor, by buying a shot out rifle and selling off the stock, mag, trigger etc, to get some money back on that. It then evolved to buying a not so shot out .243 and putting a few hundred rounds through it, before getting it rebarreled and saving up a bit more. Now I’ve seen a nice T3 Varmint, with only a handful of shots through it, at half the price of a rebarrel.

Question is, would I be disappointed with the 6brs ugly sister, when the 6br is so sweet and accurate? 
I don’t think my shooting is good enough to know the difference between a custom barrel and a Tikka, so not too worried about that

I have plenty of 87gr Vmax, that should be good for a 1:10 twist.      .

Any advice from those who’ve shot both, would be most welcome   
Not worried about deer legal issues  

thanks

If you have a future change of heart the 243 will be easier to sell, but there’s clearly more to it than that....

A good second hand T3 Varmint with a bit of load development would (I would hope) shoot every bit as well

On the ranges the 243 might be a bit out of fashion and hasn’t got the “custom” bling factor, but I am sure the crows, foxes and v bulls won’t complain whether it was a 243 case or a 6br case spat the vmax their direction 

i assume you reload given the choice of 6 br cartridge, but at least with 243 you can pick up a box of rounds in any gunshop if you’re running low of unable to get components 

I’ll be dropping it into a chassis and fitting a Timney trigger.  It’s mostly for informal target/plinking and long range rabbits and geese, so accuracy is most important, more than just MOA.  A custom barrel fitted by a skilled smith could guarantee exceptional accuracy, could a heavy barreled factory Tikka? 

I've owned and shot both.

Both were on a Stiller single shot action and unusually with the same barrel. Initially chambered in 243Ackley and then re-chambered to 6BR when I fell out of love with the 243..........I then fell out of love with the 6BR and have had the action barrelled in a 284.

I personally found absolutely no accuracy difference between the two chambering. Obviously the 243Ackley held much more powder and was therefore faster than the BR with the same bullet (85grn game kings) which resulted in not a lot more than a few less clicks of elevation !

I've got to buck the trend here and say I did not particularly enjoy shooting the 6BR.....nothing to do with the case per se as i've got a 22BR and absolutely love that.....I just couldn't fall in love with it.

I know the current thinking is that the short/fat case is inherently more accurate and that may be so in the world of benchrest shooting but I personally think in a hunting application you won't find any difference..........just my opinion for what it's worth.

Regards, Rob. 

I’ve got a couple of 243’s, both very accurate, but I’m having the same thoughts as you. A mate now has a 22br and gets almost no velocity variations through my chrono, and now shoots better at long range than me. I’ve seen him use my magneto and achieve results I’m keen to replicate.  My 243’s fps  vary significantly more. We both home load well, and I’m obsessive with it, but can’t match the variations.

im wondering whether to go 6br or dasher next,  in case, no pun intended, that the SD of the BR contributes to its accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

If you’re doing some informal plinking but mostly hunting, I’d stick with the 243. Excellent cartridge, inherently accurate, easy to tune and mild recoiling. If you’ve an appropriate barrel twist and throat, so can load the heavier bullets (115gn), you have a great all rounder. Obviously don’t get the barrel screaming hot as the 243 suffers from poor barrel life if pushed.

I’d enjoy it for what it is, you’ll bag many a rabbit and goose before needing a rebarrel. Gives you plenty of time to save up and have a custom barrel spun up in whatever flavour you want next.

Regarding lowering ES/SD, I switched primers early on with my previous 6.5x47 and saw the SD drop from around 52fps to 6fps. ES is 16fps. A simple change like that can bring it all together. 

58 minutes ago, n8ess said:

Without wanting to hijack the post, l would be interested in the loads you were using and changes you made to the lo 6.5x47. 

No worries. PM me if I can help further.

New rifle/barrel OCW findings: http://ukvarminting.com/topic/45941-defiance-eliseo-65x47-ocw/

Old rifle/barrel load: http://ukvarminting.com/topic/43032-replacement-options-for-varget-in-65x47lapua-123scenar/?do=findComment&comment=333448

Hi, currently have 6br for Benchrest and fclass shooting. It's on my ticket also for pest control. But weighing in at 14lb it's Heavy profile barrel 28".

I shoot  mollys in 90 and 105 gn bullets I've fallen for my 6br and have 7mm which is my second favourite rifle. 

Thanks nick