Lovex S065 data / information ??

treetop

Hi, 

l am interested in finding some more information  on Lovex S065 

namely for the 6.5 creedmoor, but any information would be good .

before I get a barrage of info on other powders, let me first say that this & S070 ( old AA 4350 )  appeal to me as they are single base powders, apparently good with temperatures & are reasonable in price. 

i have Information for on the S070 but there doesn't seem to be much on the S065 

i should also add that I mainly shoot 100gr & 120gr Bullets 

cheers 

50 minutes ago, treetop said:

Hi, 

lim interested in finding some morin for on Lovex S065 

namely for the 6.5 creedmoor, but any information would be good .

before I get a barrage of info on other powders, let me first say that this & S070 ( old AA 4350 )  appeal to me as they are single base powders, apparently good with temperatures & are reasonable in price. 

i have Information for on the S070 but there doesn't seem to be much on the S065 

i should also add that I mainly shoot 100gr & 120gr Bullets 

cheers 

Two or three years ago I tried SO70 in my 6.5x47 with 123g Scenars.

It’s an accurate powder, producing nice groups, but a complete case full (compressed charge of around 41.5gn if memory serves) gave very disappointing velocities, around 2740fps from a 24” barrel.

With N140 and Varget I was easily up around 2900fps, so I ditched SO70. 

I do however think it might suit the heavier bullets, like the 140gn. I think because it’s so slow burning, it needs a heavy bullet to help it generate enough pressure, thus velocity. A light bullet exits the tube too quickly before the powder is able to reach its full pressure/velocity potential.

Though I’m now picking SO70 up again for use in a custom throated .30-06 with 185gn and 190gn bullets.

Cheers for the info ..

yeah, I did think that the S070 would be slightly to slow burning for the smaller Bullets , 

hence why I thought S065 would probably be a better choice.. 

I have looked on Shootersworld for information - smallest is the 123gr, but that's a start ! 

I have read earlier posts on here & SD about the S065 powder being compared to Varget & how this proved not to be the case, but alas no other info on it yet 

cheers 

If I’m honest, I’d have a preference for SO65 over SO70 if you’re intending to use the lighter 120-123gn class of bullet. Again, SO70 is a good powder and it gives good accuracy as long as you’re ok with super low velocities. 

SO65 will give you better velocity and case fill with the lighter bullets. Whether it duplicates or meets Varget’s reputation and performance, it probably won’t. Varget has an unusually high energy rating for a single based powder (circa 4000 joules). 

good luck!!

cheers ...

yeah Laurie (the reloading God ) did a post ages ago about how S065 was in no way a Varget replacement, but it never went further to sell the attributes of the powder itself.

im steering towards the S065 ( SW long rifle ) as the answer I am looking for,

i will keep looking for information, & while I wait to grab a tub & see how it goes.

cheers 

• 1 month later...

So, after grabbing some S065,

i can report that in my rifle neither showed pressure signs & all loads grouped fantastic - they did exactly what I wanted.

100gr Sierra HP at book lenght ( 2.650). The better load was the slightly slower one ( 3172 fps average) so I will work on this one some more 

the top end achieved average of 3250 fps - no pressure signed but group opened up, as did The SD