VFG Paste Users - Effective Carbon Remover ?

Martin52

20 hours ago, Elwood said:

There was a big discussion on one of the Aussie shooting forums titled The death of a barrel. The thread seems to have been taken down which is a pity. Anyway the gist of it was that the gentleman was using JB or losso with a nylon brush and add to that a cleaning rod that wasn't turning or turning properly he totally destroyed his barrel. 

https://www.ozfclass.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5898&start=105

That was a very good post, I've read it a few times. The primary cause seemed to be the faulty non-turning rod that caused the bronze brush (with paste) to skip over the lands and grooves resulting in the 'vine' looking damage down the bore . 

On 1/7/2020 at 2:59 AM, Phaeton said:

sometimes, too clean a barrel shoots worse than slightly fouled like yours. I used to scrub clean my barrels (bronze brush) to bare metal and guess what? i had to foul them every time i shot.. sometimes taking up to 10 rounds to settle AND the barrel life went downhill. Now  i just patch and nylon brush  till patches come out clean. Barrels take far less rounds to settle during fouling (3 is enough) and life has gone up as well. 

I found the same thing to be true when competing in small bore rifle in my youth other than my barrel was fine when I sold the rifle.