Advice for a .22 LR scope , informal BR and bunny bashing

One on top of two

I've been doing the same and I've made my mind up on a 3 -9 x 40 leupold vx freedom rimfire scope and 1 moa recticle. Great glass,great reticle and a 60yds set parallax with capped turrets... 

Use hunting and a bit of plinking as realistically 100yds is a stretch with subs..

I want a point and aim scope.. as much as I like twiddling turrets a reticle I've tried and record aiming points for reference will be perfect for my needs,

I don't wanna keep adjusting side parallax and don't really need to take shots past 100yds very often.ive had this 22 for nearly 20 years so I know it's capabilities.

3 hours ago, One on top of two said:

For you maybe 😂

joking aside yes the leupold does look good. Funny enough I was just looking at a VX3 i 

I did try a 4x12x40 ir vxr cds on it but parallax was set for 150yds. It didn't work.. it was a great scope...

One of the nicest scopes I've ever used 

1 minute ago, No i deer said:

I did try a 4x12x40 ir vxr cds on it but parallax was set for 150yds. It didn't work.. it was a great scope...

One of the nicest scopes I've ever used 

I’m a big leupold fan , I have a lad at out club with a VX3 with duplex retical and for a 1” tube it’s fantastic! 

my problem is the rifle is 95% target and like I said bit of bunny bashing once in a blue moon , 

one of my clubs do a 100 m small bore comp with a couple of other clubs , nothing too serious, but enough to be competitive and great fun. 
so a highish mag would be handy hence the side PA .

ive been shooting long enough to know what I want / need but  this time there are other things to consider I spose . 

I've had 2 x Mk4's..

A 20 and 25 mag and they are brilliant scopes..

I sold one to get a sightron with more mag for longrange target and for hunting with a illuminated dot which is pure genius and the other for a vortex golden eagle for f class. That too is a great scope. Superb glass

I used up some CCI subs I was trying and rezeroed for 42gr Winnie subs which shoot best in my CZ452. Groups shot prone from 50yds. Right group was adjusted down 2 clicks and shot the left group to keep 0.5 inches high. My Simmonds diamond mag is slightly blurred on 12 mag and feel I could hold more accurately with some better glass.

Redfield Revolution 4-12x40? (I believe made in the Leupold Oregon factory to the older vxii spec) or an older leupold 6.5-20x40 target?

Redfield would be about £250 ish

older leupold maybe a few quid more, Edinburgh Rifles has one on their guntrader listing https://www.guntrader.uk/dealers/edinburgh/edinburgh-rifles-sporting-goods/equipment/sights-optics/6-5-20x40-vari-x-191108095004527

👍🏻

1 hour ago, Stumpy said:

Redfield Revolution 4-12x40? (I believe made in the Leupold Oregon factory to the older vxii spec) or an older leupold 6.5-20x40 target?

Redfield would be about £250 ish

older leupold maybe a few quid more, Edinburgh Rifles has one on their guntrader listing https://www.guntrader.uk/dealers/edinburgh/edinburgh-rifles-sporting-goods/equipment/sights-optics/6-5-20x40-vari-x-191108095004527

👍🏻

Yeah that’s more like it , why didn’t I think of that ... doh !

an old  6.5-20x40 Vari-X 

out of all my posh glass , my leup’s take first place hands down ! 

These are a bit more than your budget and rear focus not side but these are really class act. I have competed LSR wth mine and excellent point and shoot scope....

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/sightron-siii-10x42-rear-focus-mmd/

2 hours ago, One on top of two said:

Yeah that’s more like it , why didn’t I think of that ... doh !

an old  6.5-20x40 Vari-X 

out of all my posh glass , my leup’s take first place hands down ! 

I’m a big fan of vxiii’s myself, have two (8.5-25x50 and 4.5-14x50 ill) and picked a redfield 3-9x40 for my 308 woodland stalker, lifetime warranty too!

There is a vortex 10x42 thing on eBay with target turrets..

10 mag is too much for me..

9 mag is likely to be too much but for the hunting purpose I would normally use it on x 7 or/and x 9 for long shots or plinking.

Thank you terry , 

I know it’s just a rimmy to some , but this thing is gonna be loads of fun and put a big cheesy grin on my face if I ever win one of entry level comps haha . It’s all about the fun factor terry . 
I have had a play with the single shot version , using tenex biathlon I couldn’t believe how accurate these rifles are ( benchrested ) it’s bug holes at 100m .. it’s ridiculous ! 

oh and the trigger .......... I’ll leave it there ! 

OoToT,

Comletly agree, a good 22rf is not to be underrated, I’ve an MPR with probably the same trigger (they are rather good !) and the ability to put shot no shot with the ammo it likes does induce a grin. With a bit of W effort dropped mine into a CF stock.

A good semi is also required for the other stuff i.e. not bench.

As to a scope, it deserves a nice one.

200 yards is very do-able with a 22rf, after that the wind has far too much influence IMHO.

Brgds T