Barrel Tuner for PRS

rangerunner

Hi.

Anybody have any experience of barrel tuners?  Going down the road of a 224 Valkyrie for it's low recoil and supposed  accuracy for next seasons PRL matches. I know some Fclass bods use barrel tuners on rifles handled with kid gloves but do you think the products out there would be suitable for the PRL environment?

Thanks

Can’t say i’ve come across anyone else on the circuit using them and there I suppose speaks volumes. I don’t have any experience with the 224 Valkyrie but I have heard it can be a fussy round. I don’t know how tight the tuners lock up with the grub screws but may give it a whirl and report back.

RR,

Only ever used one on a 22rf and they are pretty effective, but that’s for 22rf where you ‘need’ to tune the rifle to the ammo.

As you are looking at the 224 Valkyrie then you are, I assume, able to tune the ammo to the rifle?

If you feel you need to add weight for harmonics (or whatever) perhaps use a supressor?

T

I understood the “best shooters” were moving from 6.5 to 6mm for “this years season”

Will there also be trends in fashion appearing for “this years season too”

🙈

6 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

And next year there be back on 6.5 

damn good job there isn't a 6.25 or we'd be even more conflicted  😁

5 minutes ago, John MH said:

Who are the best shooters?

I don’t know John

It was a comment made in a previous thread by one of last years competitors that inferred that the better shots would be using 6mm based cartridges this year (if I recall correctly it was a discussion involving a chap called Satterlee)  

Might be US shooters, UK shooters in the PRL that place in the top ten last year are now 'classified' this season as 'Pro' shooters, 11th to 20th placed are 'Semi-Pro', 21 and below remain 'Amateur'; not sure what effect that will have and how the classifications will be used but there was a thought about pairing a 'Pro'/'Semi-Pro' with an 'Amateur' for some shoots, something they did at the Guardian shoot apparently but don't quote me.

I know that at least two 'Pro' shooters were using 6mm (both 6XC) last year possibly more and in the top 4 it there were at least 50% using 6mm.

Sorting through my brass from the Orion Final I seem to have picked up some 6mm Creedmoor so thats another 6mm calibre besides the 6-6.5x47, 6XC and .243 Win being used.

I'm sticking with 6XC.

11 minutes ago, Ronin said:

I don’t know John

It was a comment made in a previous thread by one of last years competitors that inferred that the better shots would be using 6mm based cartridges this year (if I recall correctly it was a discussion involving a chap called Satterlee)  

You might be referring to the American PRS shooter Scott Scatterlee 

https://www.precisionrifleseries.com/profiles/shooter/312/

I believe some interviews with him, and others, and the data presented by the Precision Rifle Blog suggest a trend amongst quite a few PRA shooters to move towards the 6mm cartridges (6dasher, 6BRA, 6BRDX, 6BR) for a number of reasons.

However their shooting conditions tend to be slightly different to ours with a lot of locations being more arid, and open plains, which perhaps makes it easier to see bullet splash when compared to our grassland and heather/brush.

• 1 month later...