Recommendations for clubs to join in the south

Hi everyone,

could anybody recommend any clubs in the south (I’m in Salisbury) for long range shooting? 
I'm completely new to long range and I’m not a member to any shooting clubs so don’t know anybody else in the discipline.

I come from a hunting background and hold a FAC. 

thanks in advance

james 

Have you tried the Fifty Cal Association? You don't need a 50cal to join.

I was in ODRC, only ever went to shoots with FCSA at Salisbury. Never met anyone from ODRC or had application countersigned? Just had an FAC and full member of other clubs and that was enough to join.

Apart from that, depends what you call long range. You can shoot 1200yds at Bisley

6 minutes ago, Roy W said:

Have you tried the Fifty Cal Association? You don't need a 50cal to join.

I was in ODRC, only ever went to shoots with FCSA at Salisbury. Never met anyone from ODRC or had application countersigned? Just had an FAC and full member of other clubs and that was enough to join.

Apart from that, depends what you call long range. You can shoot 1200yds at Bisley

This....^^^^^

1 minute ago, Roy W said:

Join the NRA, shoot at Bisley when you want to 800, 900,1000,1200

Id go with this, there are some really good clubs to join at Bisley such as the North London and London and Middlesex. If you have an FAC, Id role up to one of the F Class training courses that either the NLRC or GBFCA run to get a flavour of long range shooting

Do you have target shooting on your FAC? If not, you'll have to probably do a probationary period with a club before getting full membership.

The Dorset Riflemen are not far from you and shoot at Bisley a lot, plus other ranges. South Hants R&PC in Portsmouth also shoot at Bisley once a month.

You will need to be a member of a club to get your Shooter Certification Card to be able to shoot at Bisley or any other MOD range. If you join the NRA direct then the cost of the probationer courses will set you back £500. So another club looks like your best option first, then join the NRA.

James,

FDPC shoots at Warminster and Langport regularity and also head up to Bisley quite often.

Good selection of types of shooting and competitions and associated club guns should you not have to appropriate firearm yourself.

Friendley bunch - not my main interest but the 22rf indoor practical shooting is good fun - especially with the lights off 😉

Brgds terry

10 minutes ago, Roy W said:

Do you have target shooting on your FAC? If not, you'll have to probably do a probationary period with a club before getting full membership.

The Dorset Riflemen are not far from you and shoot at Bisley a lot, plus other ranges. South Hants R&PC in Portsmouth also shoot at Bisley once a month.

You will need to be a member of a club to get your Shooter Certification Card to be able to shoot at Bisley or any other MOD range. If you join the NRA direct then the cost of the probationer courses will set you back £500. So another club looks like your best option first, then join the NRA.

I know quite a few of the Dorset guys and there is some very experienced good shots amongst them so good idea

If you do decide to apply to join Dorset Rifles you will find yourself in at the deep end as the standard of shooting is extremely high, in fact most of the GB F Open and FTR Team are members, they are a very friendly bunch but take no prisoners in their monthly comps.You will learn an awful lot very quickly. 

As Furrybean, Roy W and Justin say, the Dorset Riflemen is a club where the shooting standard is very high. The downside is, although I like to think we are a friendly bunch, there isn’t a lot of time to bring on new members with little experience because our main club day is always an F Class competition, and we are predominantly an F Class club.

We do have a practice day once a month and they alternate between Bisley and a 100 yard range near Lulworth.

I don’t meant to put you off but to start long range I suggest your best bet is to join one or more smaller clubs who are more geared up to introducing someone to long range shooting ( up to 1000 yards) and if that hooks you in enrol in the GBFCA course or one of those mentioned by Furrybean. 

Then you’ll be ready for the Dorset’s.

Otherwise, there are two Oxford based clubs, Ridgeway and Harwell. If they take your fancy and you can’t find contacts by Google I can point you at their secretarys.

25 minutes ago, Brillo said:

As Furrybean, Roy W and Justin say, the Dorset Riflemen is a club where the shooting standard is very high. The downside is, although I like to think we are a friendly bunch, there isn’t a lot of time to bring on new members with little experience because our main club day is always an F Class competition, and we are predominantly an F Class club.

We do have a practice day once a month and they alternate between Bisley and a 100 yard range near Lulworth.

I don’t meant to put you off but to start long range I suggest your best bet is to join one or more smaller clubs who are more geared up to introducing someone to long range shooting ( up to 1000 yards) and if that hooks you in enrol in the GBFCA course or one of those mentioned by Furrybean. 

Then you’ll be ready for the Dorset’s.

Otherwise, there are two Oxford based clubs, Ridgeway and Harwell. If they take your fancy and you can’t find contacts by Google I can point you at their secretarys.

Thanks for the input, I’ve emailed Ridgeway and am waiting to hear back. 

I shoot in a club called London practical shooting club. We shoot at bisley and other ranges nearby..

We shoot gallery,small bore and fullbore. Centre rifle shooting like snapshooting 200 and 300yds McQueens and 600,900 and 1000yds snapshooting which is great fun and is very competitive..

There is quite a few ukv members who are members.

I too am also a member of Dorset rifleman. A great club with great shooters who collectively have a vast knowledge on most calibres.

Offa's Dyke Shoot at Warminster IR2 (1000yards) once most months on a Thursday and are allied to the 50cal club, though all the field firing ranges seem off limits currently. They also shoot at Kingsbury, North of Birmingham, Sennybridge (Brecon) and Rogiet Moor when it comes back on line. Good bunch o lads at Offa's Dyke.

Frome and District Pistol Club use Langport (600yards), Yoxter (600yards), Warminster (not sure which ranges they use) and Bulford (500yards) I am in the process of applying to join them, but despite being a member of two other clubs and holder of a safe shooters card I will still most likely have to do a 6 month probation. 

1 hour ago, Ralpharama said:

Offa's Dyke ............. I am in the process of applying to join them, but despite being a member of two other clubs and holder of a safe shooters card I will still most likely have to do a 6 month probation. 

Which is an unnecessary imposition on skilled shooters as discussed on another thread.  An ODRC rule that has now't to do with Home Office regs compliance.

I'm already a member of ODRC, it's Frome & District Pistol Club I want to join to get more opportunities to shoot.

All the clubs I have ever spoken to suggest that they are legally bound to have a probationary period for all new members, even those who are members of other clubs. I have to say that it sounds strange, but then again the rules surrounding FACs are pretty odd at the best of times. From a clubs perspective I guess it makes sense to ensure that a joining member is going to fit in and not upset other members.

22 minutes ago, Ralpharama said:

I'm already a member of ODRC, it's Frome & District Pistol Club I want to join to get more opportunities to shoot.

All the clubs I have ever spoken to suggest that they are legally bound to have a probationary period for all new members, even those who are members of other clubs. I have to say that it sounds strange, but then again the rules surrounding FACs are pretty odd at the best of times. From a clubs perspective I guess it makes sense to ensure that a joining member is going to fit in and not upset other members.

Unfortunately, even that doesn’t guarantee anything. We had a probationary member  who ticked all the boxes. But as soon as he became a full member he became a real pain. I won’t go into details but he didn’t keep full membership very long.

1 hour ago, Ralpharama said:

You are correct regarding "new members" that are novices.  The Club Committee can legally waive probation in "exceptional circumstances" such as a person who is a full member of another club or otherwise skilled with firearms.  Holding a SCC helps.  The HO Regs are straightforward and readily available on the .gov website.  Clubs may have their own policy forcing probation on all members and that can avoid issues later.  My club may accept someone as a direct full member but only if a 'trusted person' within our club can firmly vouch for the suitability and character of the applicant.  As Brillo hints at, skill is not the only issue making someone "suitable".

I would also recommend ODRC. A great bunch and regular shoots at Warminster and others (when MoD don’t cancel!), plus can join the 50 cal boys and girls when you want. 

I had a FAC and didn’t have to do any ‘probationary’ period, and obtained my SCC through them rather than my local club. Only probationers I know at the club haven’t yet got their FAC!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 8:07 PM, Adam SInfield said:

I would also recommend ODRC. A great bunch and regular shoots at Warminster and others (when MoD don’t cancel!), plus can join the 50 cal boys and girls when you want. 

I had a FAC and didn’t have to do any ‘probationary’ period, and obtained my SCC through them rather than my local club. Only probationers I know at the club haven’t yet got their FAC!

Like me, you probably joined when John was at the helm. I have a feeling that a there has been a tightening up of rules.