Hi everyone I’m looking for some advice on joining the ODRC.

I’ve emailed about joining and had a response but need a signature from a full member. Being new to long range shooting I don’t know anyone that does it and therefore don’t know any members. 

any advice on how I can meet any current members and get the signature I need? 

thanks in advance

James

4 hours ago, JamesR said:

I’ve emailed about joining and had a response but need a signature from a full member. Being new to long range shooting I don’t know anyone that does it and therefore don’t know any members. 

thanks in advance

James

Err...a signature? Really? Bit weird, when I joined I didn’t know anyone and just turned up and got to know people. Personally I can see how if you don’t know anyone, how can you then join. Sounds unfair tbh.

Personally I would just reply back to the secretary and explain you don’t know anyone at the club. See if you can just attend one of the shoots as a visitor (not shooting, just taking a look) and meet some of the members. I’m sure that if you like what you see, the secretary or someone else will happily provide the signature should you wish to apply for probationary membership after an initial visit.

Do you already hold an FAC? If not, the club has rifles for probationary members. I’ll also happily let you shoot my rifle during your probation.

Where are you based? And which ODRC ranges do you expect to visit (they’re spread all over the place).

AFAIK even existing members who lapse membership now with ORDC have a mandatory obligation of going through a formal probationary period with them before allowing to become a full member, apparently due to new Home Office requirements (despite previously being full members which makes no sense at all....absolutely none!).  They're (HO) making things harder for everyone.  I wasn't aware that you needed the signature of an existing member but from my other memberships it's pretty standard practice with many clubs now otherwise anyone (with or without) a FAC could join who are not a known quantity, so many clubs are tightening up security to lower any potential risks associated with people unknown to their members joining.  You can either find someone who is a member and get to know them, but the circumstances and length of time known to them would probably be looked into as a common sense check.  It may seem unfair but I can see why some clubs are leaning this way.  Following Catch-22's advice might help you out...speak with Simon first though to make sure you would be welcome to just show up otherwise you may find you've had a wasted trip.  

I’ve been messaging Simon and it’s seems i can’t attend A range and observe as I wouldn’t be aloud on the range as I’m not a member. 

im guessing this is a common problem for someone new to long range shooting. 

I think I’m going to have to try elsewhere which is disappointing. 

1 hour ago, VarmLR said:

AFAIK even existing members who lapse membership now with ORDC have a mandatory obligation of going through a formal probationary period with them before allowing to become a full member, apparently due to new Home Office requirements (despite previously being full members which makes no sense at all....absolutely none!).  They're (HO) making things harder for everyone.  I wasn't aware that you needed the signature of an existing member but from my other memberships it's pretty standard practice with many clubs now otherwise anyone (with or without) a FAC could join who are not a known quantity, so many clubs are tightening up security to lower any potential risks associated with people unknown to their members joining.  You can either find someone who is a member and get to know them, but the circumstances and length of time known to them would probably be looked into as a common sense check.  It may seem unfair but I can see why some clubs are leaning this way.  Following Catch-22's advice might help you out...speak with Simon first though to make sure you would be welcome to just show up otherwise you may find you've had a wasted trip.  

There is no mandatory requirement to go through probation if already qualified.  HO Guidance 2016 is clear, it's up to the Committee to decide if, in exceptional circumstances, probation is to be waived.  I speak from a position of knowledge.  We have waived through five persons in the last few months (thanks to a club that's de-affiliated from NRA - cheers guys!).

Quote from HO Guidance 1/12/2016:  

" T. the probationary period may be waived, at the club’s discretion, for someone who is already a full member of another club which has been approved by the Secretary of State or Scottish Government in respect of the same type or types of firearm; or holds a firearm certificate; or has handled firearms in the course of his/her duty in the police or the armed services, and has a statement from his/her existing or former senior/commanding officer saying that he/she is fully trained in handling the type of firearms in respect of which the club has obtained approval and is able to use them safely without supervision; (see notes 14 & 17)"

Certainly ensuring suitability to be a member is a requirement - it's been so for years.  There are no HO changes to guidance, which has been the same since 1st Aug 2016 update.  If a person applying is not personally vouched for by current members then we require references to be given (not family).

ODRC seem to have some strange views recently.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

I’ve been messaging Simon and it’s seems i can’t attend A range and observe as I wouldn’t be aloud on the range as I’m not a member. 

im guessing this is a common problem for someone new to long range shooting. 

I think I’m going to have to try elsewhere which is disappointing. 

There's other good clubs out there.  Pity you're outside of our catchment (Cheshire/Staffs/Derby/Shropshire)

1 hour ago, Popsbengo said:

There is no mandatory requirement to go through probation if already qualified.  HO Guidance 2016 is clear, it's up to the Committee to decide if, in exceptional circumstances, probation is to be waived.  I speak from a position of knowledge.  We have waived through five persons in the last few months (thanks to a club that's de-affiliated from NRA - cheers guys!).

Quote from HO Guidance 1/12/2016:  

" T. the probationary period may be waived, at the club’s discretion, for someone who is already a full member of another club which has been approved by the Secretary of State or Scottish Government in respect of the same type or types of firearm; or holds a firearm certificate; or has handled firearms in the course of his/her duty in the police or the armed services, and has a statement from his/her existing or former senior/commanding officer saying that he/she is fully trained in handling the type of firearms in respect of which the club has obtained approval and is able to use them safely without supervision; (see notes 14 & 17)"

Certainly ensuring suitability to be a member is a requirement - it's been so for years.  There are no HO changes to guidance, which has been the same since 1st Aug 2016 update.  If a person applying is not personally vouched for by current members then we require references to be given (not family).

ODRC seem to have some strange views recently.

I agree, but Simon was totally unequivocal when discussing it with me: Anyone leaving the club now will be required to undergo a full probationary period if returning....in his own words.  He did cite HO guidelines but having (just) checked myself following your post, you seem to be correct here so why he should tell me otherwise seems to point to it being specifically an ORDC  requirement, perhaps to avoid losing too many members this year?  The cynical view is that this looks to be the case anyway.  I think that's a bit low imho given the number of cancelled shoots last year. 

I think ODRC maybe over-reacting to unfamiliar territory: ie new committee people with next to no experience perhaps?

ODRC dropped the ball big-time last year by failing to renew their HO Approval and then failed to adequately communicate to the wider membership

I do hope they get their act together for the sake of the membership - a once great club under the old guard

I'm in a similar situation.  I was going to join Offas Dyke a couple of months ago when I got my first 308 (only calibre on my ticket that isn't passed on the land I shoot) and it was a bit of a pain in the backside. 

It took a few emails to one of the guys that deals with membership for any reply and when it eventually turned up it was very abrupt which put me on my back foot, a couple of other members I know have also stated that this chap can be a bit abrupt and standoffish? 

I had to get a sponsor according to the application form but luckily for me my local club has a few shooters that are OD members so I got the signature. 

I then read a couple of posts regarding the hassle of last minute cancellations at Kingsbury and some calibres being dropped (not sure if the latter is actually in effect as yet?), so with this in mind I've held off joining. 

I've read a few more issues regarding the unreliability of the ground due to one thing or another and now I don't know if it's actually going to be financially viable to join the club, it's a shame as it's only 30 minutes away. 

If you’re near to Warwick Trigger, try the Jaguar Rifle Club. They have a rimfire range in Coventry I believe and shoot at Bisley and Kingsbury too. I’m not a member but hear they’re a friendly bunch.

Alternative might be Warwickshire Armourers. ODRC are not necessarily always the best option.

I believe the calibre restriction is now lifted by the way.

56 minutes ago, SMLE said:

If you’re near to Warwick Trigger, try the Jaguar Rifle Club. They have a rimfire range in Coventry I believe and shoot at Bisley and Kingsbury too. I’m not a member but hear they’re a friendly bunch.

Alternative might be Warwickshire Armourers. ODRC are not necessarily always the best option.

I believe the calibre restriction is now lifted by the way.

Hello SMLE, 

When I moved over to Warwick a handful of months ago I joined Wedgnnock as it's a stones throw from me, great club but as you probably know it's only passed for a handful of calibres and when I bought the 308 I did so after talking to a few members that also shoot at OD. 

At that time I wasn't aware of the issues that have been brought to light on this forum along with chats I've had with current members and I hope I don't find myself in a position where the next club that allows for a 308 to be shot at distance is too far away?

As I've already mentioned and don't mind admitting, I'm very new to all of this so any positive advice I will take on board happily 👍

1 hour ago, Trigger73 said:

It took a few emails to one of the guys that deals with membership for any reply and when it eventually turned up it was very abrupt which put me on my back foot, a couple of other members I know have also stated that this chap can be a bit abrupt and standoffish? 

Don't take it personally! SW is not typical of shooting club organisers - we're all volunteers and the pressure put on us can be a right pain in the butt however most people I've had dealings with generally fall over backwards to be helpful.

3 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

Don't take it personally! SW is not typical of shooting club organisers - we're all volunteers and the pressure put on us can be a right pain in the butt however most people I've had dealings with generally fall over backwards to be helpful.

Thanks for that and reinstalling a bit more faith in me Pops 👍

Kingsbury is great when you can get on Trigger and imho, worth persevering with ODRC if you want any hope of shooting there with any hope of regularity.... cancellations notwithstanding. Their new training officer is a good bloke and I think some new blood coming into the club is starting to have a positive impact but these things take time.

A few of us now make regular trips to Bisley as it’s such a pleasure to shoot there. If you join the NRA and also hold a safe shooters card..... ODRC will help with this one, you’d be welcome to join us and share range and petrol costs.

3 hours ago, SMLE said:

Kingsbury is great when you can get on Trigger and imho, worth persevering with ODRC if you want any hope of shooting there with any hope of regularity.... cancellations notwithstanding. Their new training officer is a good bloke and I think some new blood coming into the club is starting to have a positive impact but these things take time.

A few of us now make regular trips to Bisley as it’s such a pleasure to shoot there. If you join the NRA and also hold a safe shooters card..... ODRC will help with this one, you’d be welcome to join us and share range and petrol costs.

Thanks 👍👍

1 hour ago, Gluv said:

Oh no I won't , it's been cancelled! 🙁

Gluv 🇬🇧

Buggr 😁  I'll be shooting on Sunday for sure!

9 hours ago, Gluv said:

I actually find the man in question quite amusing 🙂 He can be blunt,  but I suppose if I had to deal with annoying club members all the time , I would be too . 

At the end of the day there isn't a cue of people around the corner prepared to take on all the club duties is there ? 

Everybody gets offended too easily these days , the mans got character!

Offas has had a few problems recently, some of their own making and some not .

I have renewed my membership this year and will be shooting at Kingsbury the weekend 🙂

Gluv 🇬🇧

True that there's always a shortage of volunteers to take on club duties but this is common to most clubs I suspect.  There's no excuses for downright rudeness in many of these cases though Gluv.

Playing devil's advocate for a minute, it's a bit of a far stretch accusing everyone sharing similar experiences of ALL being "annoying club members...". That in itself is insulting to the people that keep things afloat financially, the club membership and is a position of arrogance even?

Yes, those running the clubs work hard and we shouldn't ever forget they volunteer for thankless tasks and generally do a great job (I'm always impressed by the dedication and hard work of those helping to run shooting clubs) which is appreciated especially by those of us who've had do do similar. But when many people, not just a few, report what has been reported, then it's not right to dismiss the comments as all being from "whinging snowflakes" because such views are demeaning, intolerant and undignified.  "Character" is one thing, and usually isn't defined as the knack of being unnecessarily rude.  Not a good trait for a club secretary especially is it?

To be fair to Offas, there was a transitional period and a mix up which wasn't all of their own doing but as the HO status quo got tangled up with the new committee appointments, balls were dropped and communication most certainly could have been a lot better a lot sooner.  The old guard worked their socks off but rarely did I witness much rudeness...they were the real characters if you like, and were guilty not of a lack of passion for the sport or for growing membership, but perhaps just needed a helping hand on the administrative side.  Again, this is not uncommon with many clubs but those running them if they want loyal membership need to be aware of the sensitivities of dealing with people. 

I would have renewed my membership if one or two ranges had been available in the forthcoming year and if we could have gone a year without being messed about so much on some of the longer ranges, plus been treated with a little more respect.  As it is, I'll be sitting this year out.

VarmLR hits the bullseye.  For anyone volunteering to help run a club I would respectfully remind them that  members "own" the club they subscribe to, they deserve to be treated as valued colleagues not awkward pains in the bum  Being blunt is ok if it's warranted but down right rudeness should never be acceptable should it?

On 12/29/2019 at 4:01 PM, JamesR said:

thanks in advance

James

Is there a specific reason you want to join ODRC? 

As mentioned by others there are other clubs to choose from and some smaller ones make it easy for new members. Ridgeway Firearms Club, one that was Secretary of until lack of time meant I had to pass on the banner, is based in Oxford and has access to ranges close to you. They also have regular monthly shoots at Bisley.

53 minutes ago, Brillo said:

Is there a specific reason you want to join ODRC? 

As mentioned by others there are other clubs to choose from and some smaller ones make it easy for new members. Ridgeway Firearms Club, one that was Secretary of until lack of time meant I had to pass on the banner, is based in Oxford and has access to ranges close to you. They also have regular monthly shoots at Bisley.

The only reason was the Warminster range was fairly close to me. I shall have a look at Ridgeway, thank you very much.