A&D scales with autotrickler/autothrower

cheshirelad

15 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

I still use the v2 and haven’t had issues with large kernel powders (i use RS80 too) since adjusting the screw in the Auto-thrower.

Could you tell me what screw you adjusted, please?  I keep having problems with RS80 in my V2.

5 hours ago, Plecotus said:

Could you tell me what screw you adjusted, please?  I keep having problems with RS80 in my V2.

On the outside of the round drum (thrower) there’s a small Philips head screw. 
Per the instructions, it needs just fine adjustments. Essentially it loosens or tightens the operation of the thrower, changing how different powders flow through it.

I’d originally tightened it a bit for use with RAMSHOT Magnum (ball powder) but had trouble with RS80. Unscrewing that screw, thereby loosening it a bit, made RS80 flow through it better. Also worth mentioning is the fact that I also followed Adam’s suggestion of coating the inside of the thrower drum with graphite or HbN (I used HbN on a Q-tip) to make the internals just that much smoother. That might have also helped a bit?!??

I quite often still roughly throw with a cheapo Lee thing then trickle if I'm not loading a large number, save cleaning out the autothrow. I doubt you will be disappointed either way.

21 minutes ago, cheshirelad said:

Thanks for all the posts.

I have a Harrells powder thrower so my current thoughts are start with the scales and the autotrickler, then buy the autothrower if I feel the need.

This is where I’m at currently, works very well and does not slow my loading process significantly, I can live with 2-3 seconds 😎

but being fully auto the V3 with iPad connection does look rather tempting

T

18 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

On the outside of the round drum (thrower) there’s a small Philips head screw. 
Per the instructions, it needs just fine adjustments. Essentially it loosens or tightens the operation of the thrower, changing how different powders flow through it.

I’d originally tightened it a bit for use with RAMSHOT Magnum (ball powder) but had trouble with RS80. Unscrewing that screw, thereby loosening it a bit, made RS80 flow through it better. Also worth mentioning is the fact that I also followed Adam’s suggestion of coating the inside of the thrower drum with graphite or HbN (I used HbN on a Q-tip) to make the internals just that much smoother. That might have also helped a bit?!??

Thanks for that.  I have tried adjusting that screw a bit but it didn't seem to make a great deal of difference.  I ust admit, I didn't lube the inside but, based on your experience, it's probably worth trying. 

I've never used graphite of HbN before and I had to look up what HbN was.   I presume with HbN you just dab it onto the plastic?  All the products I've seen thus far seem to be powders so perhaps I'm missing something?

Sorry if I'm being thick....I just want to make sure I don't end up contaminating my loads with lube.

1 hour ago, Plecotus said:

Thanks for that.  I have tried adjusting that screw a bit but it didn't seem to make a great deal of difference.  I ust admit, I didn't lube the inside but, based on your experience, it's probably worth trying. 

I've never used graphite of HbN before and I had to look up what HbN was.   I presume with HbN you just dab it onto the plastic?  All the products I've seen thus far seem to be powders so perhaps I'm missing something?

Sorry if I'm being thick....I just want to make sure I don't end up contaminating my loads with lube.

Yeah that’s right. If you have some graphite (or similar) just swab a little on the internal plastics of the thrower. I believe Adam puts some details in his instruction manual.

I used HbN because I coat my bullets with it. But I could have also used just a dab from the Redding Dry Lube (graphite) I use for sizing brass.

Neither graphite nor HbN will affect powder in a case. I believe most powders have a slight graphite coating (or similar) applied to them anyway.

Coating the internals may help (it did for me) but may not. Worth giving a go. If it doesn’t work and loosening the screw doesn’t work either, no matter how much you loosen it, then it might be worth getting the v3. For me it worked well enough to not need to upgrade to v3. 

9 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Yeah that’s right. If you have some graphite (or similar) just swab a little on the internal plastics of the thrower. I believe Adam puts some details in his instruction manual.

I used HbN because I coat my bullets with it. But I could have also used just a dab from the Redding Dry Lube (graphite) I use for sizing brass.

Neither graphite nor HbN will affect powder in a case. I believe most powders have a slight graphite coating (or similar) applied to them anyway.

Coating the internals may help (it did for me) but may not. Worth giving a go. If it doesn’t work and loosening the screw doesn’t work either, no matter how much you loosen it, then it might be worth getting the v3. For me it worked well enough to not need to upgrade to v3. 

Thanks for that - very informative.  I'm going to have another go.  RS80 is the only powder I've really had any problems with so, if I can crack that, I'm sorted and if this worked for you, no reason why it shouldn't work for me.

I have looked at the V3 but I've not had the V2 a year and loathe to spend the extra cash, no matter how tempted I am.  To be honest, I load relatively few rounds with RS80 (I only use it for .338) that I would always manually charge and auto-trickle up but it would be nice to get it working properly.

Fingers crossed that we get back on the MOD ranges with HME calibres soon.  I think you shoot with ODRC so maybe catch up(!) with you there. 

I could not get on with the Lee thrower...it would crunch on large kernels and leak finer stuff.

Forever fiddling with the tension srew just degraded the whole setup.

The Lee was never meant to be motorised.

The V3 thrower is a transformation.

1 hour ago, DaveT said:

I could not get on with the Lee thrower...it would crunch on large kernels and leak finer stuff.

Forever fiddling with the tension srew just degraded the whole setup.

The Lee was never meant to be motorised.

The V3 thrower is a transformation.

Agree completely, I gave up with D063 and generally found the placky Lee bit a massive let down to the whole package. The V3 billet thrower is a huuuuge improvement.

On 12/2/2019 at 3:21 PM, cheshirelad said:

Don't suppose anyone knows where there might be a second hand system for sale.

Unlikely to get a full kit but I have a V2 thrower with Area 419 upgrades and a V1 trickler lying around at home, all that is missing is the stepper motors which you would have to procure yourself, these are generic items available from many sources on the www but you would need to clarify which type to get from Adam McDonald. Working away at the moment but should be home just before Christmas. You would still need to get the scale.

I don't know the kernel size of N160 but N550/ N560 kernels are circa .04 grains if that gives some sort of guide.

I just tried it and the kernal sizes vary alot. 2 big ones 3 medium ones or 4 smaller ones could all weigh 1/10. Until you have a close up look you can see the variety of sizes. H1000 is about 0.04grs a kernal which I work to when trickling up..

• 1 month later...