Sassen cut rifled barrel

palo

11 hours ago, Moorlander said:

You are missing the point of retail , your rifle smith will no doubt use what ever components you request made to your spec  ...if he thinks they are suitable , however if you order direct and there`s an issue with with something its your problem not your rifle smiths , you then have to pay to send the defective items back ,  and dont forget you are taking a cut out of your rifle smiths income if you are cutting him out of the deal , in the automotive trade no self respecting garage will fit customer supplied parts.

Maybe you could go a step further and build the rifle yourself on a £300 Machine mart lathe and when its best group is 10 MOA you can rant at your supplier for selling you dodgy components , they`ll then ask you to send in your barreled action ... but you cant as you are not an RFD and your local rifle smith has gone out of business trying to compete with precious penny pinchers  :)

Any RFD`s and rifle smiths on here are welcome to offer me a discount for fighting their corner :)

If there's an issue yes my problem , and id take / drive or send the issue back to whoever it concerns . No, just because i supplied a blank doesn't mean iv taken a cut of the smith. He would charge according /time labor tooling etc . He even suggested i pay direct because it was soo pricey anyway !

Plus on your auto motive wont fit customer supplied parts is rubbish - i actually get my car / van / bike parts myself and have local mechanics carry out the work , again they wont have parts in stock so i source them , they charge according .. 

Also call me a penny Pincher ? And mock me about building myself ? Uuum that's why i use a professional to build for me it costs alot , plus i don't by cheap . Soo having a problem with cheap built rifle is a non starter . He's one of the best and properly trained , not like some so called gunsmiths that do mediocre work . With questionable background / training in sheds etc . Hell you even mention earlier - not much point in paying double for other brands ? Sounds like your penny Pinching . It's up to the buyer . They can get what they like . You also mention - why not just buy 2 from your local RFD - well they may not have specific caliber 17/20 for instance in the right profile twist etc . That why i had to source one . And took it to smith who charge according . So don't accuse people from taking profit . Hell daves even stated he would fit customer supplied barrel of good brands - but wouldn't warranty them - yup totally agree . Would never try that if i had an issue , im an honest person .

That my last input on this , i dont really know why im explaining myself to you anyway after mocking me building bloddy rifle  myself . Good day sir 

So what I’ve found with the cut Sassen barrel. My other competition rifles have worn either Bartlein or Benchmark until recently  

They are quick, if you have to order a premium US barrel and it isn’t held in the smiths stock then you are looking at a 6 month wait minimum. Sassen can supply much faster than this 

They have a great finish if you borescope them and I’ve had many rounds through mine at not shy competition loading and it still looks fine. They also clean up easily!

Theyre also accurate! 

22 hours ago, furrybean said:

So what I’ve found with the cut Sassen barrel. My other competition rifles have worn either Bartlein or Benchmark until recently  

They are quick, if you have to order a premium US barrel and it isn’t held in the smiths stock then you are looking at a 6 month wait minimum. Sassen can supply much faster than this 

They have a great finish if you borescope them and I’ve had many rounds through mine at not shy competition loading and it still looks fine. They also clean up easily!

Theyre also accurate! 

Bartlein ship to me 12 weeks from order plus a week or so shipping and getting through customs but I do buy 50-120 at a time so not six months. UK import license, US DSP83 and moving money abroad are a bit of hassle but more than worth it to get a premium product. All barrel makers make good barrels and they will all make some that are not perfect but it’s the companies that are prepared to put the not so perfect ones in the skip and not ship them that get my business. Not good barrels I see have oversize bores, poor bore to profile concentricity and have been badly lapped so the bore size varies along the tube. Most of these have been brought to me for fitting by a well known English gunmaker and sourced in the UK. This is not to say you cannot get a good UK barrel but ask your smith to lay 10 tubes, all the same calibre, twist and profile on the bench (if he has that many in stock) and gauge the bore size. If they are all within 0.0002” of the specified bore size and do not have any loose spots go ahead and have one. If they don’t buy something else. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've bought a Bergara blank for £209 posted, and a Brux blank for £420 from the same guys........... they had to wait 7 or 8 months for the Bergara, and a couple for the Brux.

The only thing wrong with Lothar is that you need an account with them before they'll sell you a blank...........the barrels (s/steel) themselves are s**t hot, and appear to last forever.

Pete

I've already had two Bergara 's (button rifled and honed) fitted, 6x47 and 6.5x47 and they're brilliant. The price on the Brux (cut rifled and lapped) was too good to miss, and that'll eventually replace the 13 year old Lothar on a 6BR, if I ever manage to wear it out.

Pete

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, Ronin said:

Reamers - there’s no issue asking your RFD to order the exact reamers spec you want and then holding it for you to only use on your builds 

This is OK sure but not when I will be charged for the reamer in full for very likely a one-off barrel; then its not really my reamer and available to be used for others - then I have an issue and stopped a build right there. 

14 hours ago, One on top of two said:

Got my first border in 2000 . Had a few over the years. Funny enough I’m thinking about another 👍

What would be your choice and why?

A Sessen cut or button rifled barrel?

Or a GB cut barrel?

Both outfits are made up of former Border employees. I believe the GB guys were those who worked on the Border cut barrels as they don’t offer buttoned barrels. And the guys who are with Sassen worked on the Archer barrels are they were button. Though I believe the Sassen chaps offer cut barrels now (though unsure if they’re doing it themselves or having the barrels cut by their friends of GB barrels?

Anyone know the deal/partnership between the two outfits? 

I’ve not used the button barrels but I recommend the cut barrels. 

Adam and the guys are doing all the work themselves and don’t outsource the rifling or honing. I don’t think there are many of them so if they have a large order there may be a slightly longer wait while they finish that run. 

Better that than them cutting corners, they take pride in what they produce and the results show!

We are lucky to have a barrel manufacturer such as Sassen based in the UK

edit

I think you are correct that when Border split, the cut machine was in Scotland and the button in Birmingham then Sassen added cut rifling to there products later

6 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Or a GB cut barrel?

Both outfits are made up of former Border employees. I believe the GB guys were those who worked on the Border cut barrels as they don’t offer buttoned barrels. And the guys who are with Sassen worked on the Archer barrels are they were button. Though I believe the Sassen chaps offer cut barrels now (though unsure if they’re doing it themselves or having the barrels cut by their friends of GB barrels?

Catch . 
I have had x2 button and x1 cut and thought they were Superb ! Regarding accuracy there was no difference that I could tell , both types were very hard wearing ( they were in .243 ackley ) and was doing 115 DT at 3200 FPS +  both types cleaned very well and didn’t really foul up that bad , I’ve certainly had a lot worse . 
the only real difference I could tell was the price in the button/ cut 

and belive me when I say the button riffled barrels looked better than a lots of the top cut rifled barrels I can tell you ! 
 The finish is fantastic , non of this cleaning  shot after shot breaking in malarkey..

clean ... 20 shots... clean  and your done ! 

looks like I have just talked myself into another 👍

17 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Or a GB cut barrel?

Sassen make both button and cut rifled blanks completely in-house. Nothing is farmed out or outsourced.

The cut rifling machines were reconditioned and installed from Scotland. The button rifling machines were there from the start.

They have added a lot of new machinery, such as a very high tech honing machine specific to barrel making.

I believe all they have done for GB, is deep gun drilling.

2 hours ago, baldie said:

Sassen make both button and cut rifled blanks completely in-house. Nothing is farmed out or outsourced.

The cut rifling machines were reconditioned and installed from Scotland. The button rifling machines were there from the start.

They have added a lot of new machinery, such as a very high tech honing machine specific to barrel making.

I believe all they have done for GB, is deep gun drilling.

Thanks Baldie. I knew the GB chaps did some work for the Sassen guys but couldn’t recollect what exactly.

And I believe the chaps at GB get their barrel bar stock from Sassen? Isn’t it Barmond steel?

With regards to the cut rifling machines, do the GB chaps also have a machine from Scotland? Or did they source a completely new machine?

Cheers

Wrong way round.

Sassen do all their own work.

GB have no input into Sassen at all.

Sassen deep gun drill for GB, that's all.

I also believe that GB have supplied their own steel for drilling in the past .

GB's rifling machine was one of the old border machines that wasn't in use, and the lads at GB meticulously restored it.

There is no " Deal" or association between the two entirely separate companies. Sassen is part of a much bigger CNC/Engineering company .

1 hour ago, baldie said:

Wrong way round.

Sassen do all their own work.

GB have no input into Sassen at all.

Sassen deep gun drill for GB, that's all.

I also believe that GB have supplied their own steel for drilling in the past .

GB's rifling machine was one of the old border machines that wasn't in use, and the lads at GB meticulously restored it.

There is no " Deal" or association between the two entirely separate companies. Sassen is part of a much bigger CNC/Engineering company .

Interesting - thanks for the clarification and correction.

Cheers