Case lube

Mark II

7 hours ago, saddler said:

Imperial Case Sizing Wax works well for me - I also keep meaning to make some of the "Dillon type" spray lube, which is an alcohol liquid mixed with lanolin.

I was thinking of making the home lube up but my life is busy enough as it is at the moment so I think I will try one shot for a start, reloading my 44 mag is a lot simpler 

10 hours ago, saddler said:

- I also keep meaning to make some of the "Dillon type" spray lube, which is an alcohol liquid mixed with lanolin.

I haven't bought any commercial lube for a long while now, I make it 100% lanolin : propan-2-ol (99.9%) in the ratio  between 1:20 and 1:25. Let the alcohol evaporate and you're good to go, smells nice too (don't sniff it, it'll make your eyes water!)

If you want to make it, one 5lt can of alcohol and two small (118ml?) bottles of 100% lanolin will give a near lifetime's supply at approx 1:21 ratio. Just need a small spray bottle to apply. Do try to get the liquid lanolin rather than the wax as it's easier to mix (especially if you keep the bottle in your pocket for a bit before trying to pour it out).

16 hours ago, terryh said:

Mk2

buy a carbide sizing die and remove the need for putting lube on and cleaning it off perhaps?

That is ok with straight wall cases like my 44mag as I use lee carbide for those but I read that with bottle neck cases lube was still needed but I could be wrong 

13 hours ago, Mattnall said:

I haven't bought any commercial lube for a long while now, I make it 100% lanolin : propan-2-ol (99.9%) in the ratio  between 1:20 and 1:25. Let the alcohol evaporate and you're good to go, smells nice too (don't sniff it, it'll make your eyes water!)

If you want to make it, one 5lt can of alcohol and two small (118ml?) bottles of 100% lanolin will give a near lifetime's supply at approx 1:21 ratio. Just need a small spray bottle to apply. Do try to get the liquid lanolin rather than the wax as it's easier to mix (especially if you keep the bottle in your pocket for a bit before trying to pour it out).

Ok that doesn't sound like to much hard work where do you get the alcohol from and do you need a special spray bottle to handle it 

Mark,

The Now Foods lanolin is the stuff I use, just warm it up first (I put it in my pocket for a bit to get to body temp) and it'll pour OK, if it's cold it'll be a bit thick.

5Lt of alcohol - (use the above links or stick this number into the eBay search box;  221251615194)
Mix the above with 2 of these;
and you'll have the correct proportions at about 21:1.

Pour/mix in one of these (173353480609) and you're good to lube.

Or make it in small batches and keep the alcohol bottle sealed as it might evaporate over time.

24 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

Mark,

The Now Foods lanolin is the stuff I use, just warm it up first (I put it in my pocket for a bit to get to body temp) and it'll pour OK, if it's cold it'll be a bit thick.

5Lt of alcohol - (use the above links or stick this number into the eBay search box;  221251615194)

Or make it in small batches and keep the alcohol bottle sealed as it might evaporate over time.

Thank you I shall get some ordered 

• 1 month later...

I have made some now and work well. 

On 11/24/2019 at 3:46 PM, Mattnall said:

Mark,

Thank you I shall get some ordered 

2 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Vaseline works..............a lot cheaper than Imperial wax.

Pete

yes, but works for what purpose ??  😁

Lanolin mixed in alcohol is no more messy than any of the other commercial case lubes out there that I've tried, it is clean and easy to mix as it comes in a great dispenser bottle (if you buy from the link above).

But sheep and alcohol - that's a different pastime and I'll not say another word.

Been following this thread and just had a go to see how it goes next to ISW.

I followed a 1:10 ratio of lanolin/alcohol per a 6.5 guys video but note that Mattnal uses 1:20 which may change my observations.

1 My lanolin was sold by Amazon as liquid but arrived more like a vaseline consistency.....defo needed warming in water to make it mix.

2 Sprays ok but you need a catcher for the overspray....  no surprises there.

3 Seems to lube the FLS process just fine.

4 Seems quite a lot more difficult to remove with paper towel than ISW....

Could that be my mix ratio?

Any experiences of residue causing false pressure signs if cases not gripping the chamber around the neck area?

How do users clean? .....by repeating the cleaning cycle which is  generally done prior to case sizing....  if so then this seems to create more work than spray lubing saves iver manual application of ISW.

Overall it works......only the cleanup seems more effort than I am used to.

Your thoughts much appreciated.

I use wet tumbling as well but before sizing so as not to get firing residues etc into dies etc.

I don't really want to do that twice.

Dave, I size and trim and then wet tumble, comes up a treat. If the brass is particularly dirty I'll vibro clean first just to get the worst off before I resize/decap.

The 1:20 ratio was recommended by a shooter I know overseas that swears by it, I guess it's a larger range of ratios than I thought that still works, not had one stick yet. I lay the cases in a Gratnell tray (other trays are available) before spraying and then blow with an airline to remove the alcohol, or leave to evaporate if I have time. I guess if you leave the oil on it might thicken up again (when cold the lanolin is very viscus, I keep the bottle in my pocket for a while before I start measuring out as it'll not pour otherwise). Maybe if you warm it up first it'll come off easier. I'll not see pressure signs from the oil as I've cleaned the brass before loading it up, it's already dry.

Cheers Mattnall....I certainly have no reservations about its effectiveness as a lube.