6.5 Creedmoor - real world velocities

MJR

6 hours ago, Ronin said:

It’s a heap of fun experimenting with different cartridges to see what suits YOURSELF  best though and excellent discussion  

😃

+1    keep up the good work.............this forum is a gold mine.😁

Pete

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Ronin said:

“Charlts” 

There is no agenda to push and all is factual

Simply one persons view point is equal to another’s

I mentioned the 6.5/55 improved as it is and has been used by a named “top” shot in on line video in which  they say this is the cartridge they are using I have no idea when the video were made - they are on line and do not look old 

Linked reference to the video and information one can navigate to the article in question here ;

https://ultimatereloader.com/2018/02/18/expanded-10-shot-load-development-for-6-5-creedmoor/

I believe you made reference to the “best shots” moving to 6mm - on that point another contributor to the discussion said this is possibly down to the visible flashing target markers used at some comps making hits with smaller calibre easier to spot

My own view is if all things are equal the calibre of the user is what matters rather than a particular cartridge - but the physics of 6mm vs 6.5 will allow the larger calibre to provide better indication of hit

It’s a heap of fun experimenting with different cartridges to see what suits YOURSELF  best though and excellent discussion 

I have my 6.5/47 which is used in competition and for killing deer (very effectively)

My other deer rifle is about to be decommissioned as it’s seen 15- 18yrs of service as 6.5/284,  on its fourth barrel in that guise and I am changing it for another make and cartridge to again do double duty as deer killer and Comp gun (just like the 6.5/47) - the only thing I want is an effective, accurate tool which works for the purpose I want it to do.

😃

I agree it's great fun seeing how things are moving along, having been on the firing line across the pond it's rare seeing anyone winning and not shooting a sedate 6. Already this year a lot of the PRL top ten are building 6mm's and the trend across Precision Rifle competitions is for smaller 6's, here's a link to a more recent survey - https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/14/rifle-caliber/ This seasons would likely show a greater movement. Flashers will definitely help things in the UK, as will increasing the standard of spotting hits for score - It's always going to be difficult with some of the awful spotting scope setups that have used this year. The NRL and PRS tend to use the flashers just for long range targets.

Personally I just want to get out and shoot, there's far too much talking gets done when the weather is bad and not enough folk go shooting. Also curious why you'd move away from the easy to shoot 6.5x47, which you've found very effective. The first two rounds of the PRL before I started stoking my Creedmoor up I was running around 2600fps with 140's which is around what I'd expect from the smaller case, I found it very nice to shoot and it certainly took some scalps up at Gardners at round 2.

The 47 is one of two rifles I use for  culling and occasional competition  that isn’t going anywhere

The 6.5/284 is being retired very soon as the action is not worth doing any more to keep going - it was bought second hand as 25-06 and had already had a hard life prior to my tenure 

As a 6.5/284 it’s had a very hard life used in all weathers (4 barrels and a lot of deer) and now the Sako extractor occasionally “self strips” , the action is worn at the secondary cam and there are a couple of other issues which means the action is going to be decommissioned very soon - it simply isn’t worth any more time and effort to keep it going  

The replacement action being a platform I can use in any cartridge of .473” diameter case head with the exception of the 284 cartridge - which prompted the search for a similar performance case that will feed from the chosen mag, be a able to use in any weather with a plus of the ability to swap barrels with ease in a few minutes should that be necessary. 

Primacy being reliable mag feed for “multiples” when culling, which also helps when playing at Precision Rifle Competitions which I enjoy immensly

Ive shot numerous competitions over the years in the UK, Eastern Europe and the USA  (the pinnacle being GB team level)  so have a reasonable idea of what’s needed to make the weapon accurate and reliable - the end user being the weakest link usually

I no longer shoot as often now in serious competition but still like to keep my hand in when work and home life permits 

Re. OP

Some ‘real world’ data for factory Hornady 143g ELD-X Precision hunter ammunition:

Tikka Tac 21.   2620 fps

Ruger RPR.      2660 FPS

Re. Balance of associated mail ref calibre's and cartridges etc.

always interesting to chase different goals, what makes rifle shooting interesting for some. But you do have to wonder at 20+ pound rifles shooting small bores and light bullets? 😳

A few years back, way before PRL etc, when everyone was started using ‘wind cheaters’ (think 1st one at a comp was George gardener turning up with a 243 and 115g DTAC’s against everyone else’s 308’s) RO ran a 308 only comp using issued ammo to level the playing field and put it all down to the shooter (fyi CORE BON manf. ammo, 175g SMK’s in both Lapua and Win brass - worked in everything ).

It echoed one of the comments above, learn how to shoot , strive for hits rather than spotting misses, or, tongue in cheek:

529F5F6A-62AD-4AB9-8615-AD6A1105FEEA.thumb.png.bfc98b2b22372f1252f88e88f5f3f8a2.png

• 4 weeks later...

Been out of things ill for months so just seen this thread.

My "go to" load for CM is 44gr RS62 under a 139 Scenar/SRP brass and this results in bang on 2700fps@20 degreesC for me and from data others have supplied, closer to 42.5 to 43gr RS62 using LRP brass seems to average 2750fps to 2800fps or thereabouts (don't use the 44gr load as for the SRP brass!).  Tikka Tac A1/24inch barrel/lapua SRP Brass/Murom KVB223-M primers/RS62/139Scenar