6.5 Creedmoor - real world velocities

MJR

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Accuracy International AT with 26” 6.5 CM LW barrel.

Factory Ammo:

Sako TRG 136gr Ammo (Scenar-L) 2832FPS av.  (10.8SD)

Hornady 120gr ELD-M 2922FPS av. (27.5SD).

Hornady 120gr A-Max 2972FPS av.(20.0SD)

Hornady 140gr ELD-M 2789FPS BA. (20.0SD)

Home Loaded:

139gr Scenars, Lapua Brass, CCI BR4, 42gr H4350 2786FPS av. (5.4SD)

On 11/16/2019 at 6:02 PM, Re-Pete said:

Interesting..............so what's the advantage of the Creed over the 6.5x47 ? 

I get 136grain Scenar "L"'s going accurately at 2920fps using RS60 in my std 6.5x47.................

Pete

I should hope so with a 30” barrel !  And one of the hottest powders universe.. 

I just love the way 47 lap owners seem to have this incessant need validate the calibre and there choice haha 😂 

yes we all know it’s a great calibre! I have one sitting upstairs  and I love it , it’s in need of some TLC but it still shoots ok .   ( My creedmoor will kick it’s ass though 🖕🏻) sorry 😁 

if you really want to know the difference between the 6.5x47 - 6.5 creedmoor. - .260 

it’s easy .......NOWT really there all so very similar, to the point there is no clear advantage over any particular one  from a ballistics point of view . The main difference seems to be the type of shooter each calibre appeals too . 
for me , my creedmoor is a hunting rifle first and a range rifle second, as two is my .308  and with both calibres I have the option of factory ammo if for some reason I can’t obtain all of the components for my home loads  , it’s nice to have that little bit of reassurance in the form of a plan B 👍.with the 47 I don’t have the same options, I can’t remember the last I saw any 6.5x47 factory ammo . Either way it’s not readily available.

also I have found the Creedmoor with its slightly higher case capacity seems to handle the heavier 147 grains better than my 47 .

anyway ...IMO 

the best  all round 6.5 is .... and always has been and the foreseeable future is the 6.5 x55 

it wipes the deck with all of the above. .. end of . 

The big difference between them, and I'm sick of saying this, is the 47 was never designed for 140 grain bullets.

Its too much for the case, and you usually cant attain enough speed to achieve BC.

The Creed WAS designed to shoot 120 and 140 grain A-max initially.

The .260 has its own problems such as mag length.

29 minutes ago, baldie said:

The big difference between them, and I'm sick of saying this, is the 47 was never designed for 140 grain bullets.

Its too much for the case, and you usually cant attain enough speed to achieve BC.

The Creed WAS designed to shoot 120 and 140 grain A-max initially.

The .260 has its own problems such as mag length.

And for PRL shooting the 140’s are where its at. The signature on steel and splashes if you miss are disproportionately greater for the 140’s over the 123’s. I shot 6.5x47l for years, 3 different rifles, moved away to 6xc but have gone back to 6.5, in the mighty creed. For the cost of an extra set of dies in the house, I wouldn’t not go creedmoor, it is simply a better choice for PRL. 

So it looks like the only thing I'm really missing is the availability of factory ammo....................I'll take that.

And add that out of all the rifles I have, the very last one to go would be the 6BR.............

Pete

11 hours ago, No i deer said:

Si snipe uses the 147gr ELDM's in his 6.5x47 and rates it very highly 👍 

I know a lot of people that do.

They are always very accurate indeed, but you cannot ignore simple physics. If you cannot push the bullet at the speed the BC was measured at, its as relevant as jeremy Corbyn. ie, as much use as tits on a fish.

the 6.5 x 47 is, or can be a very dangerous little case. The knife edge between stupidly high speeds and abject disaster, is a very thin one indeed.

Loose primer pockets in a couple of tenths of a grain of powder, are all you get, then its Kaboom.

Used 47 for at least 13 years in numerous rifles, stupidly accurate and a very fine deer killer

I don’t use anything above 130g

I refuse to own a xxxxmoor

However, I am building something that will excel with 140-150 g projectiles that will mag feed, use all case capacity and not require magnum or 284 case 

27 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Used 47 for at least 13 years in numerous rifles, stupidly accurate and a very fine deer killer

I don’t use anything above 130g

I refuse to own a xxxxmoor

However, I am building something that will excel with 140-150 g projectiles that will mag feed, use all case capacity and not require magnum or 284 case 

Very interesting

6.5 x 55 AI is not short action.

The .260 AI has real potential, mainly due to the advent of the small primered Peterson brass. Mine is giving 3050 with a 142 grain bullet, and the barrel hasn't broken in yet.

Not stupid speeds, and limited by my large diameter firing pin a little. A very useful and marked increase over the Creedmoor though.

I've never been one to shove a cartridge as absolutely hard as it will go.

Guns are never pleasant to shoot like that. Use enough cartridge/bullet, and run it properly.

I have a 6.5 x 55 AI reamer, and plan to give that a go shortly too.

I've had a 6.5-06 and it was superb.

I'd agree that the 6.5x47 cartridge has its limitation but it's not about all out powder and velocity..

Accuracy is all..!!!

If you want all out powder then the 6.5x284 will suit all your needs...

I only tried some 123gr amaxs once in my 47 and couldn't see any reason to change from the 139s or 140s..

The small variation in BC means is so little from 140 to 147 I doubt if us mere mortals would notice....

Marginal increase in recoil over the “trendy” cartridge using similar bullet weight

”Best shooters using smaller calibre”  - that may be in the states where bullet  splash on misses can be seen (drier dustier conditions) but I don’t think the 6mm cartridges offer any advantage unless you push the projectile at very fast velocities to maximise BC

The trade off being barrel wear and throat erosion of course which will be increased with rapid courses of fire 

6mm not much use in factory class either unless you use a 243

Many of the Skandinavian shooters are using straight 6.5/55 Skan to good advantage with 123, 130, 140 class bullets, 6.5/55 improvers is popular too

No recoil disadvantage from what I’ve seen from their “top shooters”

Lets not forget either that at the birth of steel plate shooting of this type the 260, 260 AI and 6.5/47 were class leaders used to great effect by the likes of George Gardner, Terry Cross and Zac Smith

Exiting times indeed and I concur with Dave in the direction we’re both pursuing though using different platforms to do so

Health permitting I hope to attend as many comps as possible next year if not I’ll be looking for a suitable candidate to use my rifle and mix it with “the best” 🙈

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

Marginal increase in recoil over the “trendy” cartridge using similar bullet weight

”Best shooters using smaller calibre”  - that may be in the states where bullet  splash on misses can be seen (drier dustier conditions) but I don’t think the 6mm cartridges offer any advantage unless you push the projectile at very fast velocities to maximise BC

The trade off being barrel wear and throat erosion of course which will be increased with rapid courses of fire 

6mm not much use in factory class either unless you use a 243

Many of the Skandinavian shooters are using straight 6.5/55 Skan to good advantage with 123, 130, 140 class bullets, 6.5/55 improvers is popular too

No recoil disadvantage from what I’ve seen from their “top shooters”

Lets not forget either that at the birth of steel plate shooting of this type the 260, 260 AI and 6.5/47 were class leaders used to great effect by the likes of George Gardner, Terry Cross and Zac Smith

Exiting times indeed and I concur with Dave in the direction we’re both pursuing though using different platforms to do so

Health permitting I hope to attend as many comps as possible next year if not I’ll be looking for a suitable candidate to use my rifle and mix it with “the best” 🙈

Plenty of 6 Creedmoor factory options available that will out perform a 243 and more components become available by the month. When 6.5 barrels are being swapped at 2-2200 rounds barrel life isn't really a consideration 

The bulk of the top Americans aren't wringing the the necks of cartridges for MV, rather leaning towards lower MV and pressure for increased consistency and function in all the conditions encountered. I'm sure they wouldn't do this without an advantage. The Irish guys showed how well the 6mm's can perform in the UK by doing rather well, the general consensus being avoid the issue of spotting splash by hitting first time!

Next year is going to be a great one to watch from an equipment perspective, with so many different variations. I can't wait for it!

Barrel life will be significantly less in the 6mm if used in repeat string situation (such as Precision Rifle Competition)  

I’m sure it will be a great year for manufacturers and suppliers now the market is “hooked” on chasing the next best thing

Anyway all this is dissolving the OP thread content a little

Any more real world velocities for the cartridge referred to