If you had a choice Vortex or Nightforce... which one?

Bertie Bee

I really want a S&B if I was spending £1500-1800 on a second hand 5-25 ish scope ie Kahles, S&B, IOR etc

But I am limited my budget to £800 second hand, which throws in Nightforce NXS 8-32 or Vortex Gen II PST 5-25.... which would you choose?

A side ball... or an older Leupold Mk.4 5-25

vortex pst2 excellent warranty if you ever needed it,  s+b best choice but pricey nightforce,had lots of issues with an shv so that went back i own a. 8x25x50 leupold never had an issue but look through the scope before buying,good luck

39 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

PST gen 2 gets my vote !

got both of the scopes you mention. Vortex is mounted ..... the NXS in a box ..... says it all.

What makes you choose the vortex and not the NXS ? I have never handled the PST gen 2

1 hour ago, topscots1 said:

What makes you choose the vortex and not the NXS ? I have never handled the PST gen 2

Obviously it’s just an opinion and sight pictures are subjective . 
but for me  the vortex does 99% everything the NF can just as well . And for half the price ! 

I have tall target tested both scopes and to be fare I can’t find fault with either. They both track nearly perfect. The NF does have the edge on glass but with its bigger objective it’s not a fair comparison. I will add though in some light conditions I have noticed vortex will have better/ less CA . (Subjective ) 
I love the zerostop on the vortex , I also like the turrets . 
 The vortex is just and honest scope  that doesn’t  mind a few knocks from real world use. It’s very easy to live with day to day in the feild and on range for some informal long range targets .

and then there’s the warranty .... vortex have absolutely NO interest in what , why or how your scope is faulty or damaged or how old it is, even if you bought it from some  pikey on eBay. As long as the serial number is genuine they just give you a new one ! 

don’t get me wrong the NF is a lovely scope , it looks great and has got all the F class street creditably you could want . But ...... that PST is nipping at its heels ! 

4 minutes ago, topscots1 said:

Thank you, i had debated changing all my scopes over to vortex for the warranty, i think that is the financial sensible thing to do..  I have used the Razor which is a lovely scope, i had my doubts on the PST Line, this puts those to bed.

Fitted with quality mounts there tough to beat , all mine are FFP and mrad  ( matched ret/ turrets ) 

it may not matter to some but with the spuhr one piece mount the mechanical centre/zero of the windage is spot on . 

I’m fortunate to own some very nice classic  glass that I have worked very hard obtain 

from Swarovski to leupold and Kahles .  My PST will never go homeless .

• 1 month later...

If you look at a Nightforce used, I'd advise not looking at the SHV when you can still pick up a (better) NSX.  Few scopes offer the same build and optical quality for the price as a decen used NSX, although you will find brighter glass (not always an indicator of quality).  I wouldn't swap my NSX on my hunting rifle for anything else.

The curve ball not yet mentioned and probably THE best VFM used are the Bushnell DMR 34mm tubed scopes.  Simply awesome performance for around £450 to £650 on the used market.