VhitN140- 123grn

Furyan

Hi  just found a thread about using VhitN140 for 123grn in the 6.5x47 ,  just i am looking for a new powder to replace the Varget load .

The rifle i have was built by Ronin and is a Sako75 20" 1-8.5 twist . Loather Walther Match barrel .

Use for Deer ,vermin , making big rocks into little rocks lol.

Not tried it in mine, as I use Reload Swiss RS 60, but the Vihtavouri 2019 reloading manual (actually since the 2008 version) does list a load with N140 and a 123 gr bullet.

• Barrel length: 27" (700 mm)
  • Bullet: 123 gr (8.0 g) Scenar Lapua
  • COAL: 2.736" (69.5 mm)
  • Powder: N140
  • Min charge: 33.2 gr (2.15 g)
  • Min velocity: 2,520 fps (768 m/s)
  • Max charge: 36.4 gr (2.36 g)
  • Max velocity: 2,756 fps (840 m/s)

There's loads on the forum about loads with N140.

If not try one of the other powders recommended, there's so many suited to it.

Mark, was this the thread? 

Just had an amused 5 minutes re-reading it!😂😊

I'm a bit of a reload-nuance non-believer, so probably not the best person to take reloading advice from, I just expect sensible (consistently produced) stuff to work and I generally find it does. 

(I'd say absolute consistency of production (and shooting technique)  is more important at he target than a few fractions of a grain deliberate load changes - I think there's a bunch of interesting pschology affecting how people operate and interpret what they're seeing/doing in this area)

You'll see my results with 37.5gr, and the comments of others with far greater reloading knowledge.

Don't really have much to add to the findings in that - N140 is an excellent choice for 6.5x47  - especially when also taken in the 'holistic' sense - ease of supply, lot to lot consistency, temperature sensitivity.

[Edit: If I struggled to find n140, I'd look for a powder marketed as an equivalent, and with similar chemistry - without checking my memory, I think one of the reload swiss powders was in that category - but I wouldn't compare/contrast, just pick a sensible powder (and n140 definitely is one) produce totally consistent ammo, and expect it to work...and it will]

Been using N140 and 130g bullets in my ‘range’ 47 for a while, seems to be working well, 36g+ load, CCI450 primers. RS62 is working very well in my ‘deer’ 47 under slightly heavier bullets.

Lapua - off OP, true, on paper/psychologically  the Creed is slightly better than the 47, been shooting my 47 for over 10 years, misses are due to me not the cartridge but can see its appeal when you get into an arms race eg PRL

5 hours ago, lapua said:

Sensible thing would be change it to a creedmoor, 47l is so 2017! 😂

Hmm, I realise you are joking, but there's really so little between them ballistically it makes no sense to do this due to the cost of re-barrelling.

I can understand the advantage that the Creedmore brings, factory cases from more than one source and lots of factory-chambered firearms, but in reality, the 6.5 Creedmore is essentially a 'Made in America' version of the 6.5x47 Lapua.

As far as I can tell, the Lapua's failing commercially (not competitively) is that it wasn't really a factory-chambered round. If it had been, they'd have been no need for the 6.5 Creedmore and no doubt Hornaday, Starline, etc., would have been making 6.5x47 Lapua cases for some time. I wonder if it was simply Lapua being funny about allowing production by other companies, such as the licensing costs being too high, or simply the good old 'Made in America' bugbear again? I'm sure someone like Laurie (Holland) would know.

I think you're spot on - and it's little more than brain-in-neutral-crowd following internet fashion;  chasing imagined advantages that, empirically, are unrealisable. I don't think any of the 6.5s offer anything empirically different, to a field shooter, to 6.5x55. 

My personal mind game includes buying the best brass - and, to me,  that's Lapua.

Repeat after me:

"We are all individuals"

😂

Many thanks to all , having not shot the rifle for sometime need to get back upto loading / shooting with it , as i have been offered some goat culling .

Browndog  I like the way you think  I have read the whole thread hence getting intouch (PM) sorry again for that .

All the best Furyan

N140 is a great powder for the 6.5x47, especially with the 123gn.

Previous rifle had a 1-8” twist, 24” barrel. With un-coated bullets my MAX charge was 38.4gn N140 which gave me around 2930fps. This was safe in my rifle and showed no pressure until around 0.4gn higher.

Current rifle has a 1-8” twist, 26” Bartlein. Using HbN coated bullets, I’m currently using 38.8gn N140 which previously gave 2904fps. However my barrel has since sped up a bit and, with the same charge, now gives around 2940fps with ES 16, SD 6.

I have no pressure going even up to 39.4gn but the accuracy wasn’t there.

Tried RS52 but it simply didn’t work in my rifle, no matter what I tried. 
RS62 was a champ, very good accuracy and excellent ES/SD numbers, but couldn’t get the desired velocity. RS62 would suit a heavier bullet 130-150gn+.

1 hour ago, terryh said:

From memory N150 is the powder used by Lapua in its factory rounds, so probably optimised?

T

I tried n150 with 123gr amax, 

To get the accuracy I was looking for I had to push them hard but I gave up, it was trashing the brass.

The annoying thing is I had 200 factory rounds and they shot .3moa 10 shot group's. They were great in my gun

Furyan,

Not sure they'd go to that much both? Making two different near identical powders etc.?

The Factor ammo was observed to be accurate if somewhat slower than could be obtained/expected if reloaded, which seems to be bore out by others experiences?

T

On 11/12/2019 at 2:09 PM, Furyan said:

Thanks Terry Im used to shotgun manufactured load using commercial powder.

Anyway ive settled on N140 and 123grn ELD and 130 eld for now. when work allows ill get out to play

N140 is an excellent powder, I have no doubt you’ll find a good load.

In my experience you can go a fair bit higher than Lapua load data. But be careful as things can spike fairly quickly. I’d suggest loading in 0.3gn increments.

Good luck! 👍