UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Sign in to follow this  
sean223

22-250 Sierra 69gr TMKs

Hi all. 
going to have a 22-250 varminting machine build on a Remington action with a 26” barrel, and have the 69gr TMK in mind for the job, the 53gr Vmax also is a possibility. Is a 1-10 twist ok for the job or is it marginal? Not wanting to shoot anything heavier as i have a .284 for longer range  stuff. Cheers. 

I use the 60gn TMKs in mine and they are pretty good! Also used 55gn HPBT and they just as good but more susceptible to wind out beyond 400. 
never looked at using 69TMKs but 1:10 should be enough to spin them up as long as build up a load to find which load suits your barrel. 
what you using N140? 

Nooooo go 1 in 8  do it all twist and throat for 75,s,,,,looking to go down this route when 243 gives up,,,,,,,,,,?

Agree with Onehole - I have had an 2 tight twist 22.250 rifles   - (8 Twist and a 9 Twist)

I also currently run , a 22BR with an 8 twist,  and shoot both the 77 grn TMK's and 55grn SBK .    Both of the 22.250's I have owned also would do this with great accuracy.  

I don't really see any positives from fitting a 10 twist and hope that it will stabilise your bullet of choice  - why limit yourself , or take a chance  ??

Go for 8 twist.

I have a 7 twist 22-250 and it shoots both the 77gr TMK and the 55gr SBK really really well, why limit yourself by going for less twist is my opinion

Cheers guys. That’s that bit sorted 8 twist it is. Could yous give me some info on loads please, powder,speed,bullets,barrel length etc. As always will work my own load up safely. Cheers. 

Anybody any loads,powder,bullet,barrel length,speeds etc. My thinking is 26” 1:8 twist 69gr TMKs N150!

My tikka 595 has a 26" 1:8 tube and I use 75grn Amax with Swiss RS 60 and running at 3360 fps and hellish accurate 😉

it it helps at all 69gr tipped match kings shoot really well out of my .223 ruger predator. It has 1 in 8 twist, i am loading 24.5 gr N140, get sub MOA 5 round groups at 100 meters,  cheers Neil

1 hour ago, Akeld said:

MIne is 1:9, using 38gn of RS60

What speed and barrel length? Cheers. 

20 hours ago, sean223 said:

What speed and barrel length? Cheers. 

22", 3300fps