No! Not a political thread!

When brexit eventually happens, how will it affect shooters coming from the EU?

I notice many EU number plates about Bisley, and not just around big competitions like the Imperial. As a marker I have regular shooters from the EU. Will they stop coming?

It'll be more difficult but I would suspect not much, after all Americans, Canadians, Indians etc shoot at Bisley - why should it be different for French, German, Swedish etc?

2 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

It'll be more difficult but I would suspect not much, after all Americans, Canadians, Indians etc shoot at Bisley - why should it be different for French, German, Swedish etc?

Crikey! Sounds like Pops is accepting that Brexit will happen..... 😊

Have we worn you down mate?

49 minutes ago, SMLE said:

Crikey! Sounds like Pops is accepting that Brexit will happen..... 😊

Have we worn you down mate?

Never!  I was indulging in fanciful speculation...

🇪🇺😁

7 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

Never!  I was indulging in fanciful speculation...

🇪🇺😁

I think my earnest belief that my vote mattered is rapidly becoming fanciful speculation too 😥

1 minute ago, SMLE said:

I think my earnest belief that my vote mattered is rapidly becoming fanciful speculation too 😥

Don't worry you can have another go - just get it right this time 😉😲😯

(I'm expecting Glov along any minute..)

It will make absolutely no difference to them, the European Firearms Pass (EFP) although issued to us by UK firearms Depts, to have free access to take our forearms to the EU, is not recognised here at all.

For a foreign shooter to bring their home registered guns here they must obtain a visitors permit from Police FA dept in which they will shoot, and would normally need a UK sponsor, this is done all the time at Bisley and as long as the reason is genuine no real issue and I believe takes about 8 weeks. This situation will not change after Brexit, deal or not.

The big change will be for us, those of us who have EFP's and travel abroad for competitions with no more restriction than a gun owning citizen in the EU,  i.e. we just travel and present our EFP's as we would our passport, BUT if we leave with out a deal, the EFP's will be cancelled immediately!

In that situation we will then have to conform to the specific countries Visitor's firearms regulations. which are different country to county.  When we did it pre EU and EFP's it meant getting the organiser of the event we were travelling to, to issue an official invite, and gain our personal, and gun details, and apply on our behalf for temporary visitor permits, this usually took at least 8 weeks so we had to enter early. As I remember that was the norm,  but some were more restrictive, but some just accepted a UK FAC,  but that was some time ago pre EU.

If we leave with a deal, nothing will change, certainly May's deal it was the same, not so sure on Johnson's as its not been fully published, but I believe it is the same on EFP's.

So for them no change what ever, for us depends if its no deal or deal!

Have Fun

Robin

Robin C, excellent reply. Just to add that at least regarding CZ pre EFP days when CZ was not in the EU, UK competitors could apply to the Czech  embassy in London for a temporary  firearms pass..... with a copy of competition invite or hunting invite. Protocol was to grant a 30 day pass. This should now be the situation if the U.K. leaves with a no deal.

One fly in the ointment however is if one travels by car with firearms through several European countries ( assuming no deal and no EFP) you would need a temporary pass from each of the countries you pass through. Some UK competitors who came to a CZ comp earlier this year were anticipating this but obviously the EFP continued so no issues.....which was just as well as FLO’s we’re clueless.

For any foreign folk coming here nothing will change, but with no deal It will be very difficult for us travelling to the EU.

And travelling through several countries by car is exactly what we do!  It was difficult pre EU and pre EFP's,  I remember several instances of being held at a border for hours, the problem was it was so infrequent  a situation for the border officer that they did not even understand their own countries documents, so you wait while they check everything,  but now with more terrorism risk, many of the EU countries are now much more restrictive. Some already require security in the car, i.e. a system such that the gun case must be secure, and can not just be lifted out.

Its not just business's who export who can't plan, we are in the same boat, we did one event in Holland this year, but cancelled one in Austria as the time we would have been in the EU crossed an "exit" date, and we did not know if it would be with or with out a deal, or with or with out an EFP! And now, here we go again! What do we plan for next year?

I'm also hearing that some forces are reluctant to issue new EFP's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...