22 BR velocity loss

Hi there gents can any one tell me the loss of MV in a

20"

22"

Compared with a 24" 8twist 80g Hornady ELD match

Would like to go 20" and end of tube mod, just want to know how much loss in velocity average i will incur compared to a 24" , thanks Lee

Hi Lee,

Berger manual predicts 31fps loss per inch from 24" downwards.

I shoot 50/52 grain through my 20" Shillen barrel and get 3650 fps.....more than enough in my opinion !

22BR with relatively fast powder will be fully burned by 16" (or so I'm reliably informed by the 'Smith who built the gun) so 20" barrel is fine. Mine is a very heavy profile and has almost no recoil. I love it !

Regards, Rob.

4 hours ago, Woodlander said:

Hi Lee, did you find out the velocity loss? If so, I’d be interested to know, I have a plan for a .22br in the future. Thanks

Paul

See last post cheers mate, thought it was about 100 ft dependant on powder, charge 😁

• 2 months later...

Bit late to this thread. My 22BR runs a 20” Shillen barrel 1:14 twist rate and using 52gn Sierra Match King and 30gn  Vit N135 gives velocities averaging around 3600. No recoil to talk about and capable of head shooting rabbits at over 400 yards when I was out with Richard Utting in summer last year