17 hornet or 17 remington

Del

Most Hogdons (and many other powders) don't comply with REACH, an EU chemical regulation, so they arent imported to the UK anymore.

With 25gr Vmax I think I finished up at 11.2gr of D063 in my 527. I would start closer to 10gr - as others have said 0.2gr is a huge increase in a hornet case compared to larger cals, and pressure can increase very quickly.

9 hours ago, skydancer said:

ok chaps have taken all your information in i have got the 20grain heads shooting ok with littlegun i dont know why the other hodgens powders are not available they say they are none compliance what ever that means

A quick search for REACH compliance will answer that: lots on this and other forums. 

Lil Gun (not little gun, they went cute with the name!) is REACH compliant, as are a few other Hodgdon powders like CFE223. However, they may become harder to obtain if importers aren’t placing orders for Hodgdon powders. I hope not as I use Lil Gun for the 20gr Vmax in 17Hornet and 300Blk loads.

A bit late here,   I run a 17AH,  so an Ackley hornet and the predecessor to 17HH, slightly more case capacity than 17HH.

For crows at 150/200 yards its a great round but i really dont like it for foxes unless I can get a head shot.      For an all round rifle 17FB ( also known as 17 M4) or the 17 Rem would be a far better bet if foxes are regular victims

A

2 hours ago, skydancer said:

Does any body know if reloading 243 win with 55grain heads would be a barrel burner my soaur 101is very accurate on this load what are your thoughts chaps

Depends how fast you drive it,   the hotter ( faster) the load the faster the wear rate,  from new 1500 rounds top accuracy,  then another 1500/2000 acceptable accuracy then its new tube time,  usually.    Extend the life by using cooler ( slower ) powders,   there used to be a site where you could calculate barrel wear for a given load/speed but it seems to have gone,  but have a look here:

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/07/09/practical-tips-to-extend-barrel-life/

Velocity is something you brag about to your friends but its accuracy that kills,  those two rarely go together.  Optimum accuracy is usually some way below max velocity..

A

14 hours ago, skydancer said:

Does any body know if reloading 243 win with 55grain heads would be a barrel burner my soaur 101is very accurate on this load what are your thoughts chaps

I have used 55 gr Blitzking in a previous 243 -  just before I had it re-barrelled in to a tight twist 22.250.   B)  

The 55gr or 58 gr pills are very potent Fox medicine and definitely have a splat factor.

I guess when shooters select these light weight bullets they are looking to drive them fast and flat,  Obviously this means more powder / more velocity / more pressure .....   which equals less barrel life.    Run them at 3500 fps and I don't think barrel life will suffer.

Personally I think the 70 grn SKB are a better choice  - They still have a very flat trajectory , but hit harder and better in the wind  - perfect for foxing IME

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, skydancer said:

Hello chaps purchased a quick trim die and cutter for the 17 hornet cases i have tried everything but it will not trim the cases the cases are .005thou over size any help would be good

Might be worth starting a separate thread in the appropriate sub forum, Skydancer. 

Is it the Lee quick trim die and cutter? I don’t use them myself, so can’t advise. A photo of your set-up with a case in position might help clarify. I assume you’ve set it all up according to the instructions. 

When you say 0.005thou over size, do you mean 5thou ie. 0.005inch (it can’t be 0.005thou unless you’ve got some extraordinary measuring kit!) 5 thou over length what value are you using for reference, ie. 5thou over what? The max trim length? The “trim to” length? What is the value/actual number you are using and where did you get the number? 

How many firings are the cases?

You might be trying to trim cases that don’t need trimming yet.

The 17Hornet is a small case, some set-ups need an extended shell-holder to work with it. 

• 1 month later...

hello chaps loaded some 25grain hollow point up for my 17 hornet with lovex do63 worked the load up to 11grains cannot get the grouping at all they are hornady heads would balistic tips be any better not showing any signs of over pressure with the 11grains of do63 what do you think chaps thanks skydancer

7 hours ago, skydancer said:

hello chaps loaded some 25grain hollow point up for my 17 hornet with lovex do63 worked the load up to 11grains cannot get the grouping at all they are hornady heads would balistic tips be any better not showing any signs of over pressure with the 11grains of do63 what do you think chaps thanks skydancer

got to be worth trying 20 v max shoots great in mine below .5 moa but the 17 grn ballistic tip 2 moa so yeh there bullet fussy.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:27 PM, skydancer said:

I rather doubt that 55 grainer will cause any trouble at all, barrel life is largely about total round count and lbs of powder used, pressures ect. I don't use. the 55 in my 243 I prefer a 70 for all varmint uses. If i take it after deer or pronghorn then I go with any 100 grainer or 85 grain barnes tsx. I bought my 243 well used and I know I have shot at least 3k rounds , had it cattle branding hot and it still does half inch at 100 if I do my part. Best wishes for good shooting.

On 2/19/2020 at 3:59 AM, Sherlock said:

I have used 55 gr Blitzking in a previous 243 -  just before I had it re-barrelled in to a tight twist 22.250.   B)  

The 55gr or 58 gr pills are very potent Fox medicine and definitely have a splat factor.

I guess when shooters select these light weight bullets they are looking to drive them fast and flat,  Obviously this means more powder / more velocity / more pressure .....   which equals less barrel life.    Run them at 3500 fps and I don't think barrel life will suffer.

Personally I think the 70 grn SKB are a better choice  - They still have a very flat trajectory , but hit harder and better in the wind  - perfect for foxing IME

I am with you on the 70 grainers, I  worked a load with RL15 that will hit 3400 with that bullet and it has some splat factor indeed. My first version went even faster  however I tested it at 32 degrees F scale, worked fine, at 95 degrees F scale the bolt was sticky to open and this I self reminded test loads in the heat. I backed that load down at least 1 grain and now it works way better from safety standpoint.

29 minutes ago, KABOOM said:

I am with you on the 70 grainers, I  worked a load with RL15 that will hit 3400 with that bullet and it has some splat factor indeed. My first version went even faster  however I tested it at 32 degrees F scale, worked fine, at 95 degrees F scale the bolt was sticky to open and this I self reminded test loads in the heat. I backed that load down at least 1 grain and now it works way better from safety standpoint.

RL15 seems to be pretty temp sensitive - my 6BRA was mint at 8c with no pressure signs - in the summer at mid-20s it was stamped heads with the ejector and heavy to lift ;s

1 minute ago, GT3_richy said:

RL15 seems to be pretty temp sensitive - my 6BRA was mint at 8c with no pressure signs - in the summer at mid-20s it was stamped heads with the ejector and heavy to lift ;s

Part of my initial trouble was the load listed had a very short shank bullet, I loaded a same weight with a much longer shank and that sure didn't lower pressures any. RL15 was my go to powder for all prarie dog loads in 22-250 zero issues with it. I changed to IMR8208xbr when it came out and now to CFE223. I still use RL15 to duplicate 30 caliber ball loads for my M-1 and 1903 Springfields, US 1917 ect. Heat is sure a factor and the longer I do this (handloading ) the more I learn and tend to insert greater caution with development of loads.

14 hours ago, skydancer said:

thanks chaps so i can push the load up a bit on the 25grain hollow point i will try 11.2 and 11.4 see how they group this lovex do63 suppose to be the same burn rate as vitn120 any body tried that powder .

DO63 is double based, so N120 will perform very differently.

My Hornet never liked either of the Hornady VMax offerings, I never tried the hollow points.

Try the 20grn varmagedon with either DO63 or N120. Varms are also cheaper than Hornady if you buy the 250 box.
When the cartridge was first introduced Hornady published the recommended min/max for N120, which was;

N120            
20 Grn V Max    9.7/3200-10.8/3600 grns        
25 Grn V Max    9.3/2900-10.0/3100 grns        

For a better quality bullet try the Berger offerings.