sako

Rimfires kill plenty of foxes, as do 20 cf but 300+ yard shots are regular around me, and the light bullets struggle. The 22s are better for longer ranges as are 6mms, and for those shots when you’re just not sure how far it is (I’m sure you’ll know, being interested in nv) why limit yourself

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Chikentikka said:

Rimfires kill plenty of foxes, as do 20 cf but 300+ yard shots are regular around me, and the light bullets struggle. The 22s are better for longer ranges as are 6mms, and for those shots when you’re just not sure how far it is (I’m sure you’ll know, being interested in nv) why limit yourself

I suppose we could all go on forever about what's the best calibre for fox, but at the end of the day a lot of it boils down to day/night, kit,etc and landscape you shoot over, down here in Essex I feel the 22-250  is enough and the 204 just as good, but i could imagine where you are up north a 6mm flat out would be a better bet👍

4 hours ago, Chikentikka said:

Youre right bob, i suppose there will be different trends around the country and everyone has their preference, just have to look at what you want from said 204 sako 

.204 with 39grn sbk's topped with a Drone pro👌

I wonder if sako who started this post has decided what to buy, I see he hasn't been back on to post!!

never had any issues with 40 gr on my 20 tac,

nor the same can be said about the 50 gr from my 222

and again with the 70g from my 6mmbr

speed is not the factor that matters consistency and accuracy are the ones that matter.

so practice more and make the bullet splatter,

bob.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 7:38 PM, KABOOM said:

Shot placement is paramount, a 39 grn sierra would be my choice, with no worries about run offs.

Hi kaboom,

what is the round you use and what do you shoot with the 39grn sbk ? 

Hi Bob I shoot a Ruger no1V stainless laminate, 39 grn sierra blitzkings over 27.3 grns IMR 8208XBR. Soon to change to 29.0 of 223 to help reduce the copper fouling. Nosler Brass and Br4 primers.

16 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Hi kaboom,

what is the round you use and what do you shoot with the 39grn sbk ? 

Total brain fade I forgot what you asked about my targets, prarie dogs, jack rabbit and coyote.

6 hours ago, KABOOM said:

Hi Bob I shoot a Ruger no1V stainless laminate, 39 grn sierra blitzkings over 27.3 grns IMR 8208XBR. Soon to change to 29.0 of 223 to help reduce the copper fouling. Nosler Brass and Br4 primers.

So is that a .204ruger ?

Good to here that you don't get coyote runners with the 39sbk 😃.

If you're shooting a lot of rounds in a session on prairie dogs, have you thought about trying Hbn on your bullets, I coat all my bullets and never see any signs of copper fouling.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:52 PM, Bob57 said:

I remember reading your post about having your 20br built, wasn't it because you missed a fox through misreading the range, hence wanting a rifle shooting the flattest bullet, why download a 20br when you especially wanted one of the flattest rounds possible for your fox shooting!!

It just shoots very sweetly at 3500,   .2 off a bench when I do my bit, no mod yet see the impact,  ( its a heavy old set up), in my 100BR days it used to agg high 2s or low 3s off a bipod with a rear bag,  no pedestal rest.      Start getting it up to around 3800 with Berger 50s and I get pressure signs on the primers,  I have taken 39 gr SBKs over 4000 yes but increased recoil ( and faster barrel life) means I dont see the impact.         Very rare I go much over 200 ( my old eyes are not getting any better) but have taken them comfortably off the Landrover wing mirror at 300.    All my other rifles are set up at around 3500 so it makes the trajectory curve that much easier to master if a snap shot is needed.   

Yes a 22 will make a bigger hole,   I had some spectacular splatter kills with 55gr NBTs through a 22.250 on things like rabbits but dead is dead,  bang flop with both every time.   Both Berger 50s and 39SBKs usually pass through,  front on fox at 300 the 39s dont usually.     Interestingly a friend shot a fox with a 257AI  some years ago and could not find it.  I went to pick it up next morning, about 100 yards further on that he thought,  front on chest shot,  no sign of an exit,  small smear of blood on entry,  but chest was twice the size it should be.  I was expecting to need a shovel !!.

A

18 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

It just shoots very sweetly at 3500,   .2 off a bench when I do my bit, no mod yet see the impact,  ( its a heavy old set up), in my 100BR days it used to agg high 2s or low 3s off a bipod with a rear bag,  no pedestal rest.      Start getting it up to around 3800 with Berger 50s and I get pressure signs on the primers,  I have taken 39 gr SBKs over 4000 yes but increased recoil ( and faster barrel life) means I dont see the impact.         Very rare I go much over 200 ( my old eyes are not getting any better) but have taken them comfortably off the Landrover wing mirror at 300.    All my other rifles are set up at around 3500 so it makes the trajectory curve that much easier to master if a snap shot is needed.   

Yes a 22 will make a bigger hole,   I had some spectacular splatter kills with 55gr NBTs through a 22.250 on things like rabbits but dead is dead,  bang flop with both every time.   Both Berger 50s and 39SBKs usually pass through,  front on fox at 300 the 39s dont usually.     Interestingly a friend shot a fox with a 257AI  some years ago and could not find it.  I went to pick it up next morning, about 100 yards further on that he thought,  front on chest shot,  no sign of an exit,  small smear of blood on entry,  but chest was twice the size it should be.  I was expecting to need a shovel !!.

A

Cheers A👍, stay safe😷

17 hours ago, Bob57 said:

So is that a .204ruger ?

Good to here that you don't get coyote runners with the 39sbk 😃.

If you're shooting a lot of rounds in a session on prairie dogs, have you thought about trying Hbn on your bullets, I coat all my bullets and never see any signs of copper fouling.

Yes indeed .204 ruger, Never used Hbn  , I don't worry  to excess about copper but less is better, sweets 7.62 or montana extreme copper killer all is well in 40ish strokes any way. Cfe223 produces better muzzle velocitys with good accuracy in several cartridges so I purchased "plenty"

5 hours ago, KABOOM said:

Yes indeed .204 ruger, Never used Hbn  , I don't worry  to excess about copper but less is better, sweets 7.62 or montana extreme copper killer all is well in 40ish strokes any way. Cfe223 produces better muzzle velocitys with good accuracy in several cartridges so I purchased "plenty"

Fast and accurate 👌👍