New fox basher zeroing with new stock and load

Following on from the other night , I bought the GRS  Bi- frost stock for my tikka T3 super varmint. ..... well I finally got out today before the rain set in 

I have to say I’m still very impressed with the aesthetics of the stock and personally think it compliments the whole set up in general , and did seem to be well received by my friends . But how does the thing shoot and with some new load development, well ....

the following groups were shot at 100 m and 150 m in 3 and 4 shot groups. I only had 35 rounds made up so I had no choice but to limit my strings .

load was with 77 TMKs 

lap brass FL 

BR2 primers 

RS 52 powder 

20 thou from lands 

My T3 Rocks !

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bighairyhaggishunter said:

Impressive groups and set up....do the 77gr tmk ,s fit in the mag ok ?or are they single loaded? I'm thinking of upping from the 69 tmk cheers

thank you mate. 
no it’s all single shot for me. 
min this particular rifle I use a good fashioned bob sleigh 👍

Right then ..

77 grn TMK

RS52 = 24.4 grains  ( weighed with sartorius Entris ) 

CCI BR4 primers

Lapua brass full length sized  and bumped back 3 thou to 1453 ( with my case comparator , yours will now doubt be different ) 

bullet seated to 1930 @ ogive 

giving an average of 2803 FPS / SD 5.1 

I also found TMKs very difficult to seat without leaving a ring around the Ogive. After researching it everywhere, getting a custom seating stem made by RCBS, trying chemical metal in my existing one and mulding it to the shape of the TMK, the rings still persisted.

Eventually someone suggested neck tension was the issue, so I got a Redding neck Bushing die and full length size using the .247 neck bushing which gives about 1 thou neck tension. Problem solved, no more deformed TMKs.

I then use a Lee Factory crimp die with a light crimp as they are used in an AR straightpull.

1 hour ago, Roy W said:

I also found TMKs very difficult to seat without leaving a ring around the Ogive. After researching it everywhere, getting a custom seating stem made by RCBS, trying chemical metal in my existing one and mulding it to the shape of the TMK, the rings still persisted.

Eventually someone suggested neck tension was the issue, so I got a Redding neck Bushing die and full length size using the .247 neck bushing which gives about 1 thou neck tension. Problem solved, no more deformed TMKs.

I then use a Lee Factory crimp die with a light crimp as they are used in an AR straightpull.

I noticed the ring on the heads but soon sorted it with an easy fix 

the trick with the TNKs is to treat them like a  VLD. You need a VLD bullet seat. 
If your using LEE dies they have a standard seat. 
I have found over the years anything with a plastic tip tends to seat similar to a VLD 

like I said it’s  an easy fix Roy either way mate it’s not the end of the world.  And it certainly doesn’t seem to be affecting your accuracy 👍👍

I tried the VLD type stem which RCBS supplied, but I suspect it was the GGG brass I used being a little bit stiffer than other brands. The neck bushing solved it nicely, an doesn't have that annoying graunch as the ball expander pulls out of the case, so I am happy

2 hours ago, Roy W said:

I tried the VLD type stem which RCBS supplied, but I suspect it was the GGG brass I used being a little bit stiffer than other brands. The neck bushing solved it nicely, an doesn't have that annoying graunch as the ball expander pulls out of the case, so I am happy

Nice one 👍

yes mate it is annoying for sure. 
I use Redding dies with the custom VLD seating. They sorted it. 

21 hours ago, One on top of two said:

Right then ..

77 grn TMK

RS52 = 24.4 grains  ( weighed with sartorius Entris ) 

CCI BR4 primers

Lapua brass full length sized  and bumped back 3 thou to 1453 ( with my case comparator , yours will now doubt be different ) 

bullet seated to 1930 @ ogive 

giving an average of 2803 FPS / SD 5.1 

Thank you. Near identical to my load with N140 in my Tikka. Good to know I can switch to RS62 without changing recipe. That said you get significantly better MV than me, so perhaps might be worthwhile to swap sooner rather than later. 

32 minutes ago, markymark said:

Thank you. Near identical to my load with N140 in my Tikka. Good to know I can switch to RS62 without changing recipe. That said you get significantly better MV than me, so perhaps might be worthwhile to swap sooner rather than later. 

I’m using RS52 not 62 👍

11 hours ago, Roy W said:

Worth taking a look here.

A bullet chucked in the drill and some autosol sorted it for me .

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2016/04/20/seating-concerns-with-sierra-tipped-matchking-tmk-bullets/amp/

7 minutes ago, TC said:

Worth taking a look here.

A bullet chucked in the drill and some autosol sorted it for me .

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2016/04/20/seating-concerns-with-sierra-tipped-matchking-tmk-bullets/amp/

I tried that, still didn't work. Neck tension was my issue and no changing or polishing of stems changed the pressure needed to seat the bullet. I'll stick with my solution, it works and has done for 18 mths now.