New to FAC, looking for Bipod recommendations

Trigger73

Hello all,

As stated in the title I'm new to FAC coming from many years in the sub 12 world.  Currently I have a couple of 22 rimmies and a Tikka T3 22 250 (which is being sold) and I picked up a Tikka T3 Tac A1 in 308 yesterday.  I've usually used Harris bipods and a Vanguard for my sub 12s and my Rimfires but I don't think that these warranted a bipod that the likes of the 308 may need (I could be wrong?) - so, can anyone point me in the right direction regarding a decent bipod?  My use will be target NON competitive.

I've looked at Atlas and Spartan so far but maybe you guys know of others that are solid and won't break the bank?

thanks in advance.

Harris perfectly good and relatively cheap compared to Atlas etc.

You can often get these secondhand on here.

I use both .... the Harris is quickest to deploy if thats any issue whilst the Atlas has more positional options at a price and it needs to be 'loaded' to take up slack.

8 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

2CCCBCBB-2305-45FA-8684-42F99C9DD38E.thumb.jpeg.245832c54ac473d0aed566dc057c986c.jpegFortmeier rock !,

My tic Tac A1 in 308 

Thanks folks,  

BTW OOTOT, what scope have you got mounted on your Tic Tac?  Where in the East Mids are you out of curiosity , I was in the East Mids until a few weeks ago...

24 minutes ago, geek said:

Have a look at these, I have two (AI AT and Ruger PR): http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk/fortmeier-bipod.html

Have a read of this, http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=1831

I really like the look of these , I have a Harris which isn't being used, I wonder how much it's worth as it could go towards one of these Fortmeier's.  I'm currently trying to build up my Tac A1 slowly so it's ready for me to start target shooting albeit slowly, I'm very green to this, but I guess there's no better way to learn than get advice from you guys that know your stuff.  

2 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

Holy smokes that's some pennies!! I've got an old Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50 😂

39 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

It was either that or slum it with a S&B 

Yeah I see your predicament 😂

Mind you a few of the people that shoot BR at my club have some fantastic glass and in all fairness they do say that it makes a difference. 

Not wishing to hijack this thead, but are there any cheap, a relative term I know, options for pure target bipods? so no for need to have folding legs or much adjustment other than height, like the tier one clone i guess? ( But maybe that is a front bag)

57 minutes ago, martin_b said:

Not wishing to hijack this thead, but are there any cheap, a relative term I know, options for pure target bipods? so no for need to have folding legs or much adjustment other than height, like the tier one clone i guess? ( But maybe that is a front bag)

Feel free to hijack as I've been looking at a few different options and they're all a pretty penny, I know you get what you pay for but I'm hoping there maybe a company producing good gear that doesn't charge the earth? If not I better start saving or selling 😁

Can’t recommend the Phoenix tactical enough. Really stable, nice wide footprint. Good adjustment on the legs. You can lock it up or keep it loose on the cant.  They aren’t heavy and are rock solid. 

You can mount them in the traditional way or sling the barrel under the bipod so gives you options. 

Buy once cry once. The only time I would see a need for a Harris is for quick deployment, tactical shoots/hunting etc but if you practice with these you don’t loose much time. 

14 minutes ago, Vortex said:

Can’t recommend the Phoenix tactical enough. Really stable, nice wide footprint. Good adjustment on the legs. You can lock it up or keep it loose on the cant.  They aren’t heavy and are rock solid. 

You can mount them in the traditional way or sling the barrel under the bipod so gives you options. 

Buy once cry once. The only time I would see a need for a Harris is for quick deployment, tactical shoots/hunting etc but if you practice with these you don’t loose much time. 

Trust me if I had the spare cash I'd have one as they look and read great but in the past 3 weeks I've bought 2 rifles and a scope which add up to a small fortune.  

If you are looking for a well made bipod at a realistic price take a look at the Dolphin gun product.   I have Atlas, Phoenix and now Ckye and I’d say the build quality is on a par.    The legs are not notched so I would not want to adjust them on the clock is the only drawback I see.

http://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/phone/bipods.html

That said it’s still £175 which I appreciate is a chunk of cash for 2 legs just not as crazy as some of the others 😆

If you need something that will get you up and running and using the new to rifle  PM me your address.  I have a couple of Harris Bipod’s with swivel, notched legs and pod locks sitting in the draw not being used. I’m happy to lend you one👍  

D63DCD69-0B60-4C47-B123-8468847C16BD.jpeg

1 hour ago, TC said:

If you are looking for a well made bipod at a realistic price take a look at the Dolphin gun product.   I have Atlas, Phoenix and now Ckye and I’d say the build quality is on a par.    The legs are not notched so I would not want to adjust them on the clock is the only drawback I see.

http://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/phone/bipods.html

That said it’s still £175 which I appreciate is a chunk of cash for 2 legs just not as crazy as some of the others 😆

If you need something that will get you up and running and using the new to rifle  PM me your address.  I have a couple of Harris Bipod’s with swivel, notched legs and pod locks sitting in the draw not being used. I’m happy to lend you one👍  

D63DCD69-0B60-4C47-B123-8468847C16BD.jpeg

Much appreciated TC, I see I was late on your sale of the bipod for £210.  I was looking at dolphin the other day, I'll have another look. 

Thanks for the offer of the Harris I have one already but fancy something a little different 👍🍺

22 minutes ago, Trigger73 said:

Much appreciated TC, I see I was late on your sale of the bipod for £210.  I was looking at dolphin the other day, I'll have another look. 

Thanks for the offer of the Harris I have one already but fancy something a little different 👍🍺

Good, at least you can get out there and shoot.  In fairness a Harris with a podlock (add one if you don’t already have it) was considered state of the art not too long ago and for speed of deployment they are tough to beat.

Not mentioned above but the Evo Engineeting/Tier One  bipod is quality too.

https://tier-one.eu/products/evolution-bipod-1

Enjoy your new rifles 👍

Tony