A bad nights Foxing

Montey

Well we all like  to post when it goes well tonight it certainly didn't I missed two easy shots and two foxes both of which I had been asked to account for by a neighbour who keeps free range chickens and then on my return home  after texting the neighbour my poor performance I realise that I've lost my mobile phone ! 

Just thought I'd share I'm determined to learn by my mistakes. 

Mate !!! I dont often write on here, but i am up from shifts at work and i feel i owe you a pat on the back and a set of ears.

mate ive had a spell of misses recently, even worse so that it really knocked my confidence ! (Without blowing smoke i am renound as lethal on pheasant shoots near me).

the best thing i did was have a period of no live foxing.. some reflection and get on some targets pal ! 

It happens to all of us and no amount of immediate shooting is going to cast that doubt from your mind... if anything youll try TOO hard if you go out again too quick..

have a break and good luck with it pal ! Theres no other sickly feeling like missing.... but youll feel even more disgusted if you get an injured fox run off...

fox dropper

Sound advice Fox dropper had a miss couple of weeks ago myself couldn’t believe it , normally easy enough shot but when reviewing footage pulled to the right, at the time had to be the drone fault,once I’d got over it grabbed the rifle ,50 rounds and had some trigger time,back on form now , I only go out maybe once a week foxing sometimes don’t even see any so if you think about it ,couple shots a month isn’t that many over the year ,sometimes you just have to take a step back 

all the best lee 

18 hours ago, Montey said:

Well we all like  to post when it goes well tonight it certainly didn't I missed two easy shots and two foxes both of which I had been asked to account for by a neighbour who keeps free range chickens and then on my return home  after texting the neighbour my poor performance I realise that I've lost my mobile phone ! 

Just thought I'd share I'm determined to learn by my mistakes. 

Never mind montey, worse things have happened at sea !! 

You probably have already checked your rifle is still on, don't listen to others telling you to have time off, just get back out there, missing will give you the kick up the arse you need to stop taking the shot for granted that we all suffer from occasionally.

Always good to tell the truth to the landowner too as you did,  like I sent a text saying there were two foxes on a stubble,I'd shot one and missed the other, which I thought was a good shot,heard no wack and watched it run up the field 50 yds or so before coming off the n/v, only to get a call the next day to say it was found dead out on the stubble further up the field😃.

And now those two will be more of a challenge for your thermal, I'd be sitting out there right now to put things right😀

First thanks for all the advice

i got out at the end of the day the new light rifle in 223 I'm using is shooting high off sticks. I set it up using my bench then tweaked it using a heavy bag on the bonet of my Land Rover  The first fox i used it on was just over 200 yards and it dropped on the spot I then missed one on another piece of ground later that night  because I overestimated the range and shot over the top of it.

All a bit of a beginners mistake really should know better should've shot off the sticks first on the target before missing two and educating them.

Yes Bob I'm using the thermal scope on the new rifle I can honestly say I didn't miss a fox when I had it on the heavy 223  and shot from a vehicle. 

I'm used to shooting off sticks with my 22 rim fire through to my 308 stalker but I've not seen a change in zero like this before!

Although i used the same box of bullets all 53g  Hornaday I'm going to run the next box over the Mag Neto it's from the same batch.

Also considering using a small bag in the V of the sticks to absorb recoil obviously going to be a learning experience this. I will let you know how I get on as it might help others in the future. Just need the rain to stop.

• 2 weeks later...

A  brief update after using another box of bullets I can confirm that rifle and scope hadn't lost zero and at 200 yards off sticks I was very happy with the performance of  My set up been out tonight two shots two dead Charlie's  both were just over 100 yards.

Definitely put this one down to factory ammo when I've got time I'll have to come up with a load.

• 2 weeks later...

No I deer 

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you don't shoot using nightvision ?

Casting my mind back to the days of lamping I do understand what you mean you do then get a shadow and that shadow appears different. On stubble  

I've now come to the conclusion it's two different factors factor one factory ammo factor two the  new lightweight  walk and stalk 223 rifle sits on top of the yolk  of my bog pod sticks  i've just ordered a pig saddle set up from Scott country as the stock of the new rifle will sit well   Using this  set up I'm hoping .

Oh I c I didn't know you were using a night vision....

For the ones who's missed plenty shooting over stubble will check too see there not shooting at shadows from now on 😉.

We all miss at times though some never miss never ever 😳🤣😴

1 hour ago, No i deer said:

Oh I c I didn't know you were using a night vision....

For the ones who's missed plenty shooting over stubble will check too see there not shooting at shadows from now on 😉.

We all miss at times though some never miss never ever 😳🤣😴

I've shot loads of foxes from behind a scope with a lamp man beside me lamping on stubbles, for many years , and can honestly say I don't remember noticing a foxes shadow, yep I miss the odd one but I don't think it's because of shooting at a shadow👻.

13 hours ago, Bob57 said:

I've shot loads of foxes from behind a scope with a lamp man beside me lamping on stubbles, for many years , and can honestly say I don't remember noticing a foxes shadow, yep I miss the odd one but I don't think it's because of shooting at a shadow👻.

Look for the foxes shadow the next time your out shooting over stubble

1 hour ago, No i deer said:

Look for the foxes shadow the next time your out shooting over stubble

Yeah I can understand what you're saying, but ive just never noticed it, anyway I'll concentrate on the fox not it's shadow thanks👍, it does make a good excuse for a miss though 😂😂

Yeah ok mate,

i can just see it now, the next fox shooters bible titled "shooting shadows"😂😂

I hope you allways identify the shadow before shooting😱

I couldn't work out why I missed a rabbit the other night, now I know, I shot the bloody shadow😯😂