Restrictions on MoD Ranges

38 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

It’s always Money ! ! 
it will be about the damage to the butts caused by larger calibre rifles , and who’s gonna pay for the damage .

note . I’m not saying the larger cals ARE causing damage , just that will be there reason . 

And NRA will just get into a stalemate argument which will only end one way .....

us paying more money in some way , shape or form.

wait and see .

Maybe it is;  problem is it's their bat their ball (DIO that is).  The only reason to allow civi shooting is income.  I can't think of any other rationale as we surely accept that the bull shine about "readying the population for time of war" claptrap often seen in club constitutions is laughably out of touch with modern requirements.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

Maybe it is;  problem is it's their bat their ball (DIO that is).  The only reason to allow civi shooting is income.  I can't think of any other rationale as we surely accept that the bull shine about "readying the population for time of war" claptrap often seen in club constitutions is laughably out of touch with modern requirements.

My only concern over this apart from the obvious burden which will no doubt be placed on the shooters .Is the pending augment that is going to take place between two party’s that are just as capable of being up there own backsides as each other ! 
this will not be sorted out over night that is for sure . 

just have to hold tight and wait . 

4 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

My only concern over this apart from the obvious burden which will no doubt be placed on the shooters .Is the pending augment that is going to take place between two party’s that are just as capable of being up there own backsides as each other ! 
this will not be sorted out over night that is for sure . 

just have to hold tight and wait . 

Here's to it all being quite innocent and resolved quickly  😁

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 12:53 PM, Laurie said:

A bit hard on 7.92 Mauser shooters in historic arms rifles. Does it affect 303 too (it is a larger calibre even if only just than 7.62/308)? If so the MoD has banned the cartridge most of its ranges were built for and its own regular and reserve troops used for 70 years, the cadets a few more years longer.

I never thought of it like that. 

As for it being about the money, totally agree. MOD ranges are managed by Landmarc. I assume they have to be paid to open up if the range isn't in daily use. 

21 minutes ago, Private Marker said:

I never thought of it like that. 

As for it being about the money, totally agree. MOD ranges are managed by Landmarc. I assume they have to be paid to open up if the range isn't in daily use. 

An annual range license is obtained for a club (at about £160) from DIO.  This permits a club to then book range time on that regions ranges.  The range booking is made and a fee is calculated on a "per lane" rate in half days and then x hours "overtime" for the warden split between clubs sharing on the day.  In 2018 it was around £220 for four lanes for a day at Kingsbury.  Not cheap.

6 minutes ago, Private Marker said:

No, npt cheap. Depending on the distance and number of shooters  you might as well drive to Bisley!

I know there's a good marker there to book 😉😁

On 10/9/2019 at 11:48 PM, Popsbengo said:

True, their bat & ball - already paid for by me, personal tax and corporate by my company. (Along with their wages, pensions, the desk they sit at etc.etc )

Concur, some constitutions do date from WW1, sort of traditional, but not everyone wants to burn it al down and *iss on the ashes because it no longer fits? (is the Army ‘fit’ for modern requirements i.e. 4th generation warfare?)

Believe if you look deep into Land-shark’ s contract it states something along the lines of maximising revenues etc from the items they manage on behalf of the country.

T

Exactly Terry....we have paid for the ranges and it sticks in my throat to feel like we are being granted some sort of 'privilege' in being allowed (to pay) to use them!

On 9/20/2019 at 8:42 AM, Popsbengo said:

DIO are not known to be reasonable in my experience.  What might this mean to those members of clubs reliant on MoD ranges with regard to justification for holding large calibre firearms?

I recall having a crazy discussion with DIO management over muzzle loading .44/.45 pistols being banned from Barrack Ranges as they were over range limits for calibre (never mind the fact you can shoot full power 9mm or even .762 rifle!!).

If you join Gardners Guns Rifle Range Club (current offer of 15 months membership for the price of 12) you have access to the only privately owned 2 mile range in the UK which has no calibre limit, which will maintain the justification on your FAC. email me for details helen.gardnersguns@gmail.com

new offer oct 19.png

I can vouch for both these venues as a current member …..well run ,well organised and I am still trying to hit the 1 mile gong.....brilliant facility and Marc and Davy always willing to assist /spot.. Wish it had been there a lot longer.

On 9/21/2019 at 2:23 PM, Popsbengo said:

Don't tell 'um your name Pike!

If I was RCOing at a military range I'd want to apply the Nelson touch to .303 and 7.92 Mauser but I suspect the consequences of getting 'caught out' by an audit might be too damaging to the club in the long run.  If this turns into a permanent restriction I'd expect the NRA will champion the historic rifles.

We can hope... But the NRA has the MoD as a land lord at Bisley and given a lot of NRA staff are ex-Forces / Constabulary it seems unlikely they'd be willing to stick it to the powers that be...

9 hours ago, gazzarM1 said:

I can vouch for both these venues as a current member …..well run ,well organised and I am still trying to hit the 1 mile gong.....brilliant facility and Marc and Davy always willing to assist /spot.. Wish it had been there a lot longer.

+1 great venue, great people.

Eskdalemuir is excellent.  I find it's rally hard to get a sense of distance - the 100yd gongs look like 20 yds!  Thankfully there's a gravel area on the slope in front of the mile target so it's possible to see fall of shot and fine-tune.  The .338 hits at +1 ml are reasonably easy to see with a spotting scope or through a 25x scope  (I need about 18 mil with 300gn Lap Scenar at 2900 fps).

It's fun to shoot, count 3sec whilst recovering hold and then see your bullet hit!

The first target back from 1ml is 2000yds, then one at 2000metres.  Last time I was there (Oct) there had been no hits on the 2mile as yet.  Wind at +1600yds is "challenging".

27 minutes ago, terryh said:

Anything more than a 100’s smoke 🤠

PP or greaser at that distance??

Set up for patch 👍
 and yes BP all the way . 
I want to be one of the few  shoot the mile with BP terry . 🤔
 And try to show these urban operators how to shoot steel bill Dixon style ! 

13 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

Set up for patch 👍
 and yes BP all the way . 
I want to be one of the few  shoot the mile with BP terry . 🤔
 And try to show these urban operators how to shoot steel bill Dixon style ! 

Marc should do you a special badge for BP to a mile!  Take a protractor and plumb-bob to set the elevation for plunging fire. The bullet will be coming down at not far from vertical 😁

Do make a video to share.