PRL 2019 - What Calibre, Action/Chassis and Optic

John MH

Well now that the 1st UK PRL Season is over what calibre, action and chassis did you use?

From my observations 6.5 Creedmoor seemed to be the most popular caliber but there were many others in use. Lots of different actions and chassis systems were also seen as well as plenty of AI rifles. Optics were represented by a wide range of low, mid and high end (what does that actually mean if other than cost?) scopes calibrated in Mils and MOA.

So let’s hear and see what you used.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

McMillan T2k in 6XC with 26” Bartein 5R 1:7.5 barrel, Area 419 Hellfire Brake, Area 419 Arcalock 14” rail, Atlas Bipod, S&B Ultra Short 3-20x50 PM2 P4FL MOA Reticle, 1/4 MOA Turrets.

1AF54E90-66A4-4E6F-8DC8-B43FBCBF6747.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5991b525125248068d201770ede34ecf.jpeg

all you need to source is a T-Slot nut and screw to lock the rail into the UIT channel.

The development of these rifles is a very interesting. For the heck of it I put together two rifles with different spec that I could use next year if I find the time to go. The builds took too long to get finished for this year. PRS is starting to be very popular in Ireland and we also have the Guardian LR competition coming up this month at our Midlands range. The good thing about the lighter end of PRS rifles is that they can double as hunting rifles. Yesterday I just received the NZ Terminator brakes that will go the rifles. S&B gave us a loan of a 3-27 PMII with Tremor3 reticle and a 5-25 PMII with the new Grid2 reticle. 

Rifle only weighing at 4.1 kg 6.5 CM with 24" Hawk Hill barrel on a T3 action.

iTzar55.jpg

or the lighter weight 6.5 CM with 20" Hardy Carbon barrel on Remmy action. (suits me better as I am horribly overweight and not fit) At only 3kg rifle weight and 20" it can be an all-round rifle. The barrel seemed quite fast with 136 gr Sako TRG ammo doing 2730fps av.

g1tGsTf.jpg

edi 

This year I shot with a PGWDTI Coyote  action set in PSE E Tac stock in 6.5x47 with PM11 4-16 up top (built by me)

Worked fine, but was out gunned by the Creedmoor and 140 grain users

Next year I’ll compete with same rifle but chambered in something else using slightly heavier bullets travelling slightly faster (considering a 7mm SwedCred Gali Inproved)

😊

Have new Kahles glass for the revised gun which is lovely (left hand windage makes perfect sense for fast changes) 

Have some shooting aids coming from Ulfhednar (Norway) 

3 hours ago, John MH said:

That’s where pros and cons come in 🤔

Recon all will need to adapt from competition to competition. For example PRL (Viking Series) in Denmark you have 27km to walk/run with all your gear between stages. Some (me for example) might not arrive at all....

Another thing is all the attachments that are being invented, constantly something new to fit or adapt. Over time I think we will see lighter weight base gear being the majority. The super fit SF guys will of course always have an advantage.... but they also get older. 

edi  

That's the thing, quite a lot of us would be out. With light gear chances are better to reach the destination at least. Just goes to show there is a big variety in comps on offer, all under PRS/PRL name. The gear will need to adapt. At least have a few rifles/bipods/rests to choose  for the type of comp.

edi

John,

Interesting thread.

Would be good going fwds to list after each PRL comp the spec of the top 5 (10?) rifles e.g. action, barrel, scope, cartridge, gunsmith, possibly bullet etc. Would help folks follow what is developing.

As much as I hate to recommend this, but the 'what the pros use' site is quite interesting, all be it from a US angle on things. The PRS/NRL has gripped over there, been a few issues with ownership, but very popular.

Not sure on the bigger is better though? if you look at the trends in shooting , folks have gone smaller as opposed to bigger - case in point the comps in the US prior to PRS etc. being invented, were originally pretty much all 308, then George Gardener turned up with a straight 243 running 115DTACS (at not silly speeds) and showed the way, within a few years the 308 did not feature. The current PRS/NRL has gone the same way, smaller more efficient (accurate) rounds. thus:  https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/14/rifle-caliber/

Not saying we should adopt the US approach (especially the daft  IPSC style shiny shirts 🤣, please!) but might be worth thinking about - considering the amount of shooters over there trying things out to be competitive. 

Also a different approach would be to look at why folks are missing targets as opposed to analysing the guys kit who are hitting them - just a thought?

T

People miss targets because of poor wind reading skills (myself) and poor fitness (high pulse rate) / adrenalin due to self induced stress 

Having competed in various types of comps for nearly two decades (be that  international “sniper comps” , F Class at international level or local BDS / deer events) - I find I only have myself to blame for missed 😂

I think once you appreciate that your the fallible variance the only way is “up”

Andy

That’s what I was hinting at - ‘we’ are the issue 😉.

over thinking kit might make you miss out fundamental skills perhaps?

I’ve yet to shoot a UK comp, have only attended a warm up down at Tiffs. I came away ‘concerned’ at the presence of £1000++ tripods and folks carrying 3 different ‘bean bags’. Just sort of left me cold, but getting to a comp might change this?

T

I think what is missing in these competitions is the list of gear used. Who will sponsor a shooter if no gear is mentioned anywhere? Would be so simple to fill out the entry forms with the info.

Who will read about a comp if one only reads names and points?

Years back still being at uni I went begging around for sponsored gear before going to a world championship, it was always the same question... how many TV minutes? How many articles in magazines etc.   

edi

16 minutes ago, terryh said:

Andy

That’s what I was hinting at - ‘we’ are the issue 😉.

over thinking kit might make you miss out fundamental skills perhaps?

I’ve yet to shoot a UK comp, have only attended a warm up down at Tiffs. I came away ‘concerned’ at the presence of £1000++ tripods and folks carrying 3 different ‘bean bags’. Just sort of left me cold, but getting to a comp might change this?

T

The bean bags are essential, tripods are optional

Nut behind the butt is key...

6.5 Creedmoor is a fine cartridge - and the 6’s maybe be better - but cannot make up for those dodgy wind calls, poor home loads etc etc. 

It should also be noted that some folks used the old 308 (flies like a pig) to very good effect. 

FWIW I ran a 6.5 Cm on a long action - this was a bad idea as I had to mag change on every stage > 6 rounds. Lesson there.

Nothing wrong with mag changes - practice makes you more fluid 

People get hung up on long action is slow - that’s another worry wort fallacy - milliseconds longer for bolt throw

Off the shelf, standard 24” Howa Varmint, in 6.5 Creedmoor, sending Nosler RDF’s around 2770. I put an MDT brake on it too. Scope wise, I did the first four rounds with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 and finished with a Sig Tango4 6-24x50.

Stock wise I ran a KRG Bravo, which I filled with wheel weights and bolted some MDT weights to the side of. Also added a KRG ARCA rail for an Atlas bipod and an Area419 Rail Changer bag.

I can’t say I’d have done any better this year with any of my custom guns, I started the year at the bottom of a steep learning curve and any misses were down to me. 

E92D2EBB-D66A-4B18-8A54-2906A51CEB61.jpeg