Karl Kaps Scopes Suck

264wm

In January this  year I bought a new Karl Kaps scope (https://www.optics-trade.eu/uk/kaps-tactical-2-5-10x50-sniper.html), I would just like to say I did not buy it  from Optics Trade just using it as reference,not a  cheap scope  by any means, but certainly not  the  most expensive.

In April the  scope  developed a fault, the  windage turret clicks  had failed, consequently when you retrieved the scope  out  of the  bag the  turret would rotate if it caught the  side of the  bag  or  even rubbed against it when you where  carrying it, so obviously  needing urgent  attention.

So I contacted Kaps Customer service, who did not return any e-mails until I announced that their  Customer  service  sucks!

They suggested that I return the  scope to them Direct.

As we tried to ascertain what had  gone  wrong with the  scope  I pointed out  a few  other  problems, the  turrets were  marked  6mm clicks@ 100m, they were in fact 1cm clicks@ 100m, they accepted that the  turrets had been marked up wrong, the other  problem is in the  windage turret, I will post a  picture and  see if you  can see what the  problem is!

Scope  returned last week and guess what nothing had  been done to it in 5 months. I have tried to contact them again and they have told  me there  is  nothing wrong with the scope and  now refuse to discuss it  any further. As you  can see the scope still has  the  6mm clicks and the windage turret still turns  freely.

So if  you are thinking of  buying a Karl kaps scope think again..

sussed out the windage turret yet..

100_2911[1].JPG

Bit like the MTC scope I was given that had fogged up inside,out of warranty but seemed nice for a non expensive scope, so thought it would be worth spending a bit, depending on price getting fixed, but no, we can't fix it, throw it in the dustbin i was told😟.

Had 2 Swarovski's fog up inside over the years and both times they have been sent back with no trouble, and returned fixed, no charge, brilliant service.

2 minutes ago, Bob57 said:

Bit like the MTC scope I was given that had fogged up inside,out of warranty but seemed nice for a non expensive scope, so thought it would be worth spending a bit, depending on price getting fixed, but no, we can't fix it, throw it in the dustbin i was told😟.

Had 2 Swarovski's fog up inside over the years and both times they have been sent back with no trouble, and returned fixed, no charge, brilliant service.

Apples and Oranges:

How expensive was the Swaro?  MTC are at the cheaper end of the scope spectrum,  I'm not surprised they just say bin it, the labour costs and the handling costs make it cost ineffective I would expect. For companies like Vortex, their cheaper end warranty is supported by their expensive products,  MTC don't have that do they?

Gamekeeper mate has a Karl kaps and tried trading it in awhile ago, wasn't offered hardly anything for it, so still has it, still at least they didn't tell him to chuck it in the bin😃

Tech talk to Kaps company is a waste of time. I tried a couple years going to their stand at the IWA, it seemed they had no clue of target turrets or what movement their turrets do with one click. My guess is those who designed the scopes for the company are long gone.

edi

Thank god for that I thought I was going nuts trying to work out  the  graduations, just couldn't believe what i was looking at.

To make  it even worse there  are 21 clicks between 0-12, c'mon Popsbengo get the calculator out..

Below is part of an e-mail after trying to point out the  markings on the  windage turret..

Good afternoon Neil,

the engraving has nothing to do with the clicks. The clicks are only for the first calibrating.

It is made for Snipers, that they can see maybe they have to choose the marked 12 on 200m distance, if the have 1m wind/second, coming froum south, west, or whatever.

So if you want us to do a special engraving, where is a „10“ marked after 10 clicks, please advise.

Best Regards,

Mit freundlichen Grüssen 

Matthias Schäfer

20 minutes ago, 264wm said:

Below is part of an e-mail after trying to point out the  markings on the  windage turret..

Good afternoon Neil,

the engraving has nothing to do with the clicks. The clicks are only for the first calibrating.

It is made for Snipers, that they can see maybe they have to choose the marked 12 on 200m distance, if the have 1m wind/second, coming froum south, west, or whatever.

So if you want us to do a special engraving, where is a „10“ marked after 10 clicks, please advise.

Best Regards,

Mit freundlichen Grüssen 

Matthias Schäfer

Good grief !  Now there's someone who really doesn't get it 😱🤣

Hi A,

wouldn't mind but I have  another one that is the  56mm obj and its  great, but this  is just junk.

I think that Heath Robinson was the design engineer on this  one .

Left it on the  wall outside  hoping someone would pinch it but ended up with a  collection box and some  sympathy cards.. 

The idea behind these scopes is quite sound, they are of course outdated. The recent workers and owner of the factory have no clue of scopes and might even have difficulties putting them together. Main business of Kaps are microscopes for surgery.

If anyone is interested in the brochure of the tactical scope I can e-mail a copy.

This is what is written about the elevation turret.

Replaceable ring, scaled for .308/168

grain ammunition. The numbers on the

ring mark target distances from 100 to

600 metres. When a target distance of

600 metres is set, additional markings on

the reticle plate will allow distances from

between 700 and 1000 metres to be set

(for .308/168 grain).

• Bullet-proof up to calibre .50 BMG

• Rapid ballistic trajectory compensation

for standardized rifle calibres.

edi

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update,

Had a quick flurry of e-mails from Kaps customer service, was like trying to stuff string up a cats a**e. Never Have I met anyone  in customer service who had absolutely no clue about  their products, very frustrating..

Contacted the retailer of the Scope with this sorry tale, only to be told that that  was  the  norm,they have  now stopped sellling  any product associated with Kaps. The manager told they had  sent over 80% of the  scopes  back with similar faults and were  met  with the same responses.

He also told  me  on one  particular model 41  out  of  45 scopes had  to be sent back, and we are not  talking about £50 scopes..

regards

N

• 1 year later...

Wish I had read this earlier  just bought one!🙄8x56 illuminated (supposed to be!)Its is so dim that you can’t see it before it’s so dark you can’t shoot anyway!Same BS from seller and Karl Kaps!😤