Pigs and 45/70

sandtrap

Some Danish friends have invited me to shoot wild boar in Sweden, I don't have an appropriate gun for the task, been looking at a Marlin SBL in 45-70  for some time , and now seen the ABL that I think I like more , no doubt this rifle is up to the job ! but after the pigs would it be unused until the next time I got to go

Who uses a 45-70 for club shooting or other types of shooting and what ?  

29 minutes ago, sandtrap said:

Some Danish friends have invited me to shoot wild boar in Sweden, I don't have an appropriate gun for the task, been looking at a Marlin SBL in 45-70  for some time , and now seen the ABL that I think I like more , no doubt this rifle is up to the job ! but after the pigs would it be unused until the next time I got to go

Who uses a 45-70 for club shooting or other types of shooting and what ?  

Hi 

Ran a Remington rolling block in 45/70 for a while, Good fun at the time and it got me into reloading. Regarding using the same rifle for boar hunting and range work well I’d say the novelty will soon wear off as what makes it a good quick handling rifle for boar will no doubt not make it much fun for a prolonged session at the range. Mind you each to there own and if it sits in the cabinet until next time apart from honing the skills is that such a bad thing. Access to a moving target range would be handy. 

2 hours ago, D Johnson said:

Hi 

Ran a Remington rolling block in 45/70 for a while, Good fun at the time and it got me into reloading. Regarding using the same rifle for boar hunting and range work well I’d say the novelty will soon wear off as what makes it a good quick handling rifle for boar will no doubt not make it much fun for a prolonged session at the range. Mind you each to there own and if it sits in the cabinet until next time apart from honing the skills is that such a bad thing. Access to a moving target range would be handy. 

Hi .. and the cost of the rifle wont break the bank to sit idle for 80% of the year .. seen one on guntrader for £950 new

The Marlin SBL is up to the job - but are you 😁?

No sure if you’ve ever fired full loads thru’ a light lever gun, you might not notice it in the heat of the hunt but the recoil will be quite ‘noticeable ‘

I have shot quite a bit of 45-70 but normally at lower levels (500g bullet @1200 is FPS) in a heavier single shot rifles - with a shoulder pad, and they are OK.

so full loads on Boar then load down for range use and you’ll have a nice rifle, put a rear peep  or ghost ring on the rifle for hunting and it will be very pointable, stick a tang sight on for range work and get nice sight picture. Please fo the love of God don’t put a scope on it !! 

Brgds

Terry

2 hours ago, terryh said:

The Marlin SBL is up to the job - but are you 😁?

No sure if you’ve ever fired full loads thru’ a light lever gun, you might not notice it in the heat of the hunt but the recoil will be quite ‘noticeable ‘

I have shot quite a bit of 45-70 but normally at lower levels (500g bullet @1200 is FPS) in a heavier single shot rifles - with a shoulder pad, and they are OK.

so full loads on Boar then load down for range use and you’ll have a nice rifle, put a rear peep  or ghost ring on the rifle for hunting and it will be very pointable, stick a tang sight on for range work and get nice sight picture. Please fo the love of God don’t put a scope on it !! 

Brgds

Terry

I have fired full load 405gn regularly from my Henry under-lever and I can attest to the "noticeable recoil" 🤣  Shooting from a sitting or standing position with a shoulder pad is an acceptable form of punishment for the pleasure of doing it.  Prone is horrific 😱  I have a .338LM and that's a pussy compared to the Henry.

I disagree with the "don't put a scope on it" but I know from whence terryh is coming.  I have a nice low powered Leupold with plenty of eye relief - you don't want to be wearing it!!  Very bright and excellent sight picture.

I'm no hunter but the rifle feels very quick to come on to target and follow-up shots, as the bore charges you, are quick 😉  They make excellent Alaskan bear rifles I'm told.

Henry copy.jpg

I use my Marlin GSBL 45-70 for deer and range.

It can be downloaded for range use, if needed. 

Homeloading is the way to go with 45-70; loads of info online about pinking loads.

I have a scope on mine (long eye relief) with QR mounts so I can switch to the peep/ghost ring if needed/fancied.

Incidentally, there is a Marlin 45-70 for sale on Stalking Directory at the mo- short and threaded with a muzzle brake. If I didn't have mine, I'd be tempted.

I've got a 24" barrelled Marlin 1895 XLR in 45-70 Gov. with a Leupold Vari-X IIc (3-9x40) scope on it (see pic).

With plinking loads, 405 gr cast at about 900-950 fps, it's very pleasent and a real pussy to shoot.

Medium power, 405 gr cast at about 1350-1,450 fps, so duplicating old BP loads, is a good compromise for practice.

It's quite a handful on fill house loads, 300 gr at +2,100 fps, and if you aren't used to the recoil, scope kiss is a real problem (as two people at the club can testify too).

Personally if you are going shoot boar, I'd get a Marlin 1895 SBL and put a ghost ring sight, reflex sight, or long eye relief low-power scope on it. It makes scope kiss impossible and following the target easier.

1923579063_Marlin1895XLR45-70-Smaller.thumb.jpg.1b625ab7ebfcbb7fcc5ec77eccb00ed9.jpg

I have owned all manner of 45-70 and one thing I know is that "full house" loads aren't necessary to kill anything within the guns operating range. I currently have a trapdoor Springfield, a Marlin 1895 Cowboy and  (my favorite) a Siamese Mauser converted properly to 45-70. For safety sake and simplicity, I shoot the same Trapdoor rated 330 grain HP loads in all of them. Everything hit with any of them falls over.~Andrew