Wildlife camera > Phone

andybrock

Thinking of upgrading my wildlife cameras simply to save time driving here there and everywhere checking them.

Cameras that send pictures to your phone, a couple of questions.

1 Do they work simply off a “pay as you go” sim card and are they expensive to run?

2 Is there a range limit that they’ll send pictures?

3 Are they actually worth the extra money over standard cameras?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Andy

These are about the cheapest decent ones at the mo (you can get them a bit cheaper, perhaps 180ish) https://www.scottcountry.co.uk/wildlife-cameras/cellular-wireless/spypoint-link-micro-cellular-wildlife-camera/

Quite a few use their own subscription services which aren't badly priced.

Range - same as a phone, if there's network coverage where you put it you're good to go.

Worth  it - really depends on the use I guess. Professional pest or deer controller, probably. Obviously if youre thinking of deplying a bunch of them then it would cost a tidy sum - before accounting for any that get robbed or vandalised!

17 minutes ago, GT3_richy said:

These are about the cheapest decent ones at the mo (you can get them a bit cheaper, perhaps 180ish) https://www.scottcountry.co.uk/wildlife-cameras/cellular-wireless/spypoint-link-micro-cellular-wildlife-camera/

Quite a few use their own subscription services which aren't badly priced.

Range - same as a phone, if there's network coverage where you put it you're good to go.

Worth  it - really depends on the use I guess. Professional pest or deer controller, probably. Obviously if youre thinking of deplying a bunch of them then it would cost a tidy sum - before accounting for any that get robbed or vandalised!

Getting robbed or vandalised would be my biggest problem.

I use cheap £50 cameras at the moment, even though it’s annoying when they do go it’s not too much of a financial loss, I’d be mighty pi55ed off if a £200 cam went!

I’ll have to work out good camera vs cheap cam, travelling, time, etc