Quickload and rs60

swatty

I have been looking for data with rs60 and 6mm 75 grain  v max everything I’ve found is saying 44 grains as max load yet I found a thread on another forum where a guy ran data for the above combination and came back with 48 grains as max load I’ll attach a section of the thread to this I’ve pm d the original poster but had no answer 

17CB18DB-E670-49EF-9ED8-81897D85E733.jpeg

Go on the RS website and look at there data , throw that other shite in the bin ! 

I use RS powders in ALL seven of my calibre's

and I would not go anywhere near 48 grains of RS 60 in a .243 ..... not a chance . 

I use the 75 grain nosler and with 41 grains of RS52 I will get 3280  FPS 

With 41 grains of RS 62 I will get 3150 FPS . 

Thats out of a Sako 85  with 24” barrel 

RS 60 is a very poky powder in fact it goes like F***k 

start low and work up YOUR barrel and case will tell you when they have had enough 

I fully intend to work up a load and was very cautious of anything but manufacturers data I was more interested if that’s info posted above gas come  through quick load and if so is it right or is it simply a typo which I doubt due to the predicted Mv of 3750 fps that’s fast for a 75 grain pill in any calibre 

I'd be very wary relying on QL data for RS60.

For my 6.5CM for e.g. QL predicts a 97% fill max charge of 43.8gr will give 2874fps and 62K psi. Reality was 42gr was around that fps - 43.8gr = 3K fps and probably 75K psi in all likeliness...zing

It's a great shame that QL is so far from reality with RS powders.  I've found it excellent with many other manufacturer's products so I'm guessing it's to do wth the data that RS have provided more than anything else?  I find RS powders excellent in every resepct and I too use them for just about everything.....would be great to see the QL problem sorted out. 

I use RS powders exclusively, and while I agree that the QL predictions with RS52 leave a lot to be desired, I've found it pretty much spot on with RS60. Some recent results in 6x47:

38.6 grains RS 60       115 grain DTAC (HBN)    QL 2956,  Labradar   2970 fps

39.4                                                                           QL 3008  Labradar   3020 fps

However, neither of these grouped as well as 39 grains of RS62 which QL predicted  2932 fps, and Labradar measured 2854 fps.

RS62 is a bit slow, but won't fry the barrel like RS60, and at 2854 fps MV, the 115's are still comfortably supersonic at 1000yds.

These loads are OK in my rifle, but may not be in yours, so usual caveats apply.

Pete

I have found QL predictions of RS60 to be close to spot on if all the input data is correct, but RS62 tends to run much faster than predicted. Loading for 270 Win weekend before last a 145 ELDX was running 140 fps faster than QL predictions. Very happy I started low and worked it up.

1 hour ago, Moorlander said:

Stalking directory in the last place on the planet I`d go for reloading data ....come to think of it for anything else related to shooting.

Laurie Holland often posts on the stalking directory and has recently posted an excellent reply regarding a question I had about RS60. 

Interesting different opinions on ql and the rs powders funnily enough the original poster on sd has failed to return my pm were I sent him a copy of his post what’s slightly frightening about it is at 4 grains over max data found load it could do serious damage to someone not knowing  any better . It would be good if someone with quick load could run the figures and see if it replicates what’s above just to see if it is in fact a typo or genuine data 

1 hour ago, Scotch_egg said:

Laurie Holland often posts on the stalking directory and has recently posted an excellent reply regarding a question I had about RS60. 

I would of said Muir was a very reliable source for load data on SD besides Laurie who is very knowledgeable.

Quite a few of SD members are ukv members.

If it's the load for 243 load with 48grs of RS 60 pushing a 75gr vmax does sound alot of powder, when I had a 243 I used 41.5grs of Varget pushing the 75gr vmax,it's probaly 10 years since I've had a 243 so I've lost touch.

On 6/17/2019 at 6:01 PM, swatty said:

I fully intend to work up a load and was very cautious of anything but manufacturers data I was more interested if that’s info posted above gas come  through quick load and if so is it right or is it simply a typo which I doubt due to the predicted Mv of 3750 fps that’s fast for a 75 grain pill in any calibre 

I don't think my 25 06 pushed a 75gr v max that fast off the top of my head,I maybe wrong though. I can remember not getting anywhere near the published nosler data for the 25 06 with Rel 19 pushing the 85gr nosler ballistic tip, I went 2 or 3grs over there max and still couldn't get there.