Specifying my first custom FTR rifle

MichalS

With the favourable currency rate, I decieded to order my first custom FTR rifle - I want to go for a Dolphin. I recieved a build sheet from Mik, who was also very helpfull with advice. I have a rough idea already and wanted to share it in case I'm missing something or getting something wrong:

Action: Barnard S Right Bolt Right Port Action
Scope Rail: 20 MOA Aluminium
Barrell: 32" Bartlein Stainless steel 1:9,5 twist throated for  Berger 200.20x fluted to get into FTR weight
Trigger: Jewel Match
Stock: Dolphin Modular Aluminium Stock - F/TR LW version with long F/TR Forend and ceracoated finish

I wanted to go for 9,5 twist for the new high BC bullets like Hornady ATIP or new 200gr Sierra in case they prove worthy - or should I just stay with a 10 twist? What else should I think about? 

TIA,
Michal

41 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

I don't think any FTR shooters would use GGG 7.62x51 ammo - not in a competition anyway. Most use the Lapua Palma small primer brass.

Look, once again I have to explain this

Michal is in Poland and uses a fair bit of GGG products

If you’re thinking of using the new Sierra 200 grain bullet (#2231), you will need at least 1:9 twist. Sierra state this on the box and all of who use them cannot get them to stabilise with slower twists.

The other thing to bear in mind is throating. If you throat for the 200.20X a 2231 will have a exceedingly long jump, and we have found that to be sub optimal.

The 2231 is difficult to tune, as the 200.20X can be. The Berger 200 hybrid is easier.

Bearing mind Bradders caution about GGG ammunition, you have two choices: 

Stick with a Barnard S and use Lapua cases or

Specify a different action. 

I do use GGG brass as it is cheap and high quality - thanks for mentioning that, I will check with Mik!

Regarding throating - if I deciede to go for 10 twist, 200.20x throat, what other bullets will work with that? I shoot a factory Sabatti now that works well with Berger 185 Jugs, 190gr SMK's, 178gr ELD's and 155gr Scenars but 155.5 Bergers and 155 SMK's I can't seat long enough...
Michal

As above. The Berger 210s and 185s will work in a 10 twist. Your best bet is to talk to Mik. He’ll guide in the right direction. Like all smiths I know, they want a happy customer. Just bear in mind there’s no such thing as a throat for everything, but if you throat it for the 200 hybrid it will shoot the 20X, 185 Juggernauts and both the 210 SMK and Berger, but not the SMK #2231.

Another key point about the stock is to go for standard F TR forend. A friend reminded me about this. Many of us have found that the long forend is prone to torquing and the shorter one avoids this.