Air rifle to FAC power?

Pellet Gun Pete

OK, I know I could have just bought an FAC version, but couldn't find an affordable one. (Despite the myth that they're cheaper).

I've bought a Daystate Air Ranger sub 12fpe with the intention of using it in my spare FAC slot. It's a tidy gun, with the slingshot hammer system. From what I've seen and read the FAC versions use much heavier hammers and springs.

Has anyone any experience of actually doing this, or can advise on hammer and carrier dimensions. Alternatively, are there any gunsmiths on here who could do the job economically?

Pete

although i think the above link is priced fair not a total bargain because it is an older rifle the truth is the ranger at fac power can have a power curve that needs mapping. the wolf regulates shots to make hits far more consistent . you can sell sub 12 anywhere to any one but fac has a very small market.i would sell and buy a ready to go wolf etc every time.

If I could access that link, I'd be able to comment. Seriously, I've looked at LOADS of guns for sale, this was the best deal I could find. There are a few "cheaper" offerings, most of them have been of a lower quality, or too far away to examine personally.

Pete

Sometimes you have to be prepared to travel for things you really want. I converted a TTR1 Rapid to FAC, which is simple by comparison, and have virtually destroyed the value in doing so. I didn't realise at the time, if I'd known I would have sold as is and bought a dedicated, factory regulated FAC rifle of a different make.

I still love it, wouldn't part with it, but could have done a lot better for the money. There are loads of FAC rifles on guntrader for instance, and the BBS (just join)

I bought the gun on gun trader. There was an old MK1 FAC for similar money, but that's an OLD gun. There was another I went to look at, only to be told "we sold that ages ago". Despite the fact I'd enquired about it that morning before traveling!

Pete

21 hours ago, Pellet Gun Pete said:

If I could access that link, I'd be able to comment. Seriously, I've looked at LOADS of guns for sale, this was the best deal I could find. There are a few "cheaper" offerings, most of them have been of a lower quality, or too far away to examine personally.

Pete

Just join Airgunbbs and you can?  It is a bargain, price it all up new!

Been there done that ,you will need to take the gun to a rfd and have it put on your fac ‘there is no minimum power’ you can then do what you want to it but it’s not easy.

Regulator pressure will need to be increased 

hammer spring will need to be changed  ,too light it won’t work too heavy it won’t work and it could damage the valve 

then you might have to alter the transfer port between the action and the barrel

it would be a lot easier to send it to either daystate or airfective tuning or the like .

you will also devalue the gun quite a lot .

I bought a sub 12 177 fx impact and took it to a .25 60 ftlb fac the difference is the fx was built to run at this level of power ,

23 hours ago, Aggy said:

Been there done that ,you will need to take the gun to a rfd and have it put on your fac ‘there is no minimum power’ you can then do what you want to it but it’s not easy.

Regulator pressure will need to be increased 

hammer spring will need to be changed  ,too light it won’t work too heavy it won’t work and it could damage the valve 

then you might have to alter the transfer port between the action and the barrel

it would be a lot easier to send it to either daystate or airfective tuning or the like .

you will also devalue the gun quite a lot .

I bought a sub 12 177 fx impact and took it to a .25 60 ftlb fac the difference is the fx was built to run at this level of power ,

It doesn't have a regulator (the MK1 did) it uses the slingshot system. Air Rangers were also sold in 60 and 80fpe versions so I think it'll manage 30fpe OK. I have ordered a heavier slingshot hammer, might need another spring too.

Pete