Hornady ELD variability

Pat Allen

Hi all . Has anyone experienced weight variability in ELD bullets? Just checked 2 boxes from the same batch and had variability of 1 grain between top and bottom. My Berger hybrids only vary by 0.2 grains between 500 rounds . 

I checked the 7mm 180 grainers and found 4/10ths of a grain variation,the hybrids,scenar l's and 183gr smks varied 2/10ths of a grain, a mate tried the 7mm 180s in his 284 and they shot great at 1000yds, I've been testing them at 100yds myself and now I've loaded some to to see how the go at 1000yds,measurements I checked were as good as others mentioned 

When anyone tells me they weigh bullets and find a variation that makes them leery(often accompanied with the grudging admission that they shot fine, despite these variances)I ask them if they uniform primer pockets, or weigh brass. Are they certain that the neck tension from case to case is the same?? Lastly, I ask if they are skilled enough to be able to tell the difference on paper/steel at long range. ~Andrew

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

When anyone tells me they weigh bullets and find a variation that makes them leery(often accompanied with the grudging admission that they shot fine, despite these variances)I ask them if they uniform primer pockets, or weigh brass. Are they certain that the neck tension from case to case is the same?? Lastly, I ask if they are skilled enough to be able to tell the difference on paper/steel at long range. ~Andrew

+1:    With regard to a 0.1 to 0.2 % variation (0.2gn in 180gn), I think there's some misplaced worries here.  It's unlikely the powder is weighed to better than 0.2% and coupled to all of the other variations (discussed ad-nauseam elsewhere in other posts) this is a worry not worthy of bother.

It's more a curiosity thing for me but if you want to be top of your game you need to take these steps to get the best out of your set up.

4/10ths may not sound alot but at 1000yds may make a difference of winning or not 

Just now, No i deer said:

It's more a curiosity thing for me but if you want to be top of your game you need to take these steps to get the best out of your set up.

4/10ths may not sound alot but at 1000yds may make a difference of winning or not 

But does it?  What actual affect it observed - vertical displacement due to tiny velocity variations due to acceleration variations along the barrel ?  I understand the desire to drive variability to zero but there's so many factors.  What actual dispersement would be observed for a 0.1% mass variance?

24 minutes ago, No i deer said:

As my name sake I've no I deer but minimising the variables is bound to help.

I take the advice from some of the top f open shooters in the country as they've already done all's these things

Fair enough. Reduction in variables is desirable.  It doesn't follow that successful F Class shooters all do the same things in just the same ways so I'll remain skeptical.

They more than likely take every step needed to make the perfect cartridge and shoot regularly to keep there eye in. From what I've been told measuring and batching the bullets by base to ogive is more important than the bullets weight. Til now I've not batched weighed bullets or batched the bullets by base to ogive.ive not trimmed the meplats only pointed. My ammo is still pretty good.

Most of us can make very accurate loads. The art is in the wind calls or reading the mirage.

I was doing both at 900yds Sunday and dropped too many shots early in the COF and gave up on the flags and used the mirage, I shot shot much better only dropping 2 points in the last 8 shots and finished strong with VV.