Tikka CTR - Super Varmint

Good evening , 

i cant decide on the CTR or Super Varmint , the rifle willmainly be used for target and vermin with the occasional deer stalk. 

I have put put in for a variation for 6.5 and also 308. I am unsure of my fao will let me have both and may make me decide on one , if put in this position o don’t know which I would choose. 

My rifle club club shoots out to 1000m , I would love to shoot boar hence the reason for 308 and potentially head up Scotland , I don’t reload but am attending a reloading course at the end of the month. 

Any  opinions or help greatly Received 

regards

Matt 

Depends on the emphasis...

CTR - semi weight barrel is good for vermin and deer. Not tried it on the range.

6.5CM and 308 will work on anything running about up here. 

BUT if target dominates the round count and 1000 is available then you want 6.5CM (much as I love the 308, it is really an 800 yard round) with a long heavy barrel. You can suck that up on the odd stalk. I have shot a Varmint in the cairngorms for years. Depends on yer legs 😀

1 hour ago, Chanonry said:

Depends on the emphasis...

CTR - semi weight barrel is good for vermin and deer. Not tried it on the range.

6.5CM and 308 will work on anything running about up here. 

BUT if target dominates the round count and 1000 is available then you want 6.5CM (much as I love the 308, it is really an 800 yard round) with a long heavy barrel. You can suck that up on the odd stalk. I have shot a Varmint in the cairngorms for years. Depends on yer legs 😀

This ☝️

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

I'll try  not to let my RPR 308 become privy to this talk about an 800 yard limitation. It might get lazy.~Andrew

Yes, I know you can, and it was a sweeping generalisation but I didn't want to be a bore and write a dissertation 😀.  

Much as love my 308's the 7.62 was never really designed to be a 1000 yard target round unlike the 65CM where the modern bullets kick render the  uncompetitive. My 243 with a 107gr SMK make it look well frankly rubbish in comparison actually) and I am using Bergers/Amax/all those tricks to get the most out of the 308.

Equally I think there is a lot of hype around the new 65's. They don't do anything the 65Swede can/could do and funnily enough its not nearly as popular as the 308. Wonder why, and its not action length !

Sounds to me like you've got good reason for BOTH. Don't let your FEO push you around.

The Home Office Guidance refers to .270 being the minimum for Boar, so the 6.5 (.264) doesn't meet that. Have you got an invite/booking for the Boar shoot to demonstrate your 'good reason'?

Equally the use of calibre outside of .308W for long-range target shooting is well established. As long as you have access to a suitable range and your Club has bookings on these, I think you have 'good reason' for a 6.5. Very few members of my club are limited to just one rifle.

Triffid

Get a 20" 308 stainless CTR for hunting and boar.  Another Varmint or CTR in 24" 6.5CM for target and long range varmint... later get a T1X 22lr trainer rifle . Get one good aftermarket stock and share the stock between the three rifles. I don't even need to re-zero when I swop stocks around.

edi

I'd advise slightly differently.  Don't buy a heavy barreled varmint or CTR for hunting, buy a sporting profile and shed the extra mass.  You'll thank yourself, trust me.   I'd go with a Shultz & Larsen personally for boar/deer in 270 or .308 and then buy a 6.5 of some flavour for target.  The whole point of the 6.5, especially in CM flavour, is that long for calibre high BC bullets can be shot way under the velocities needed with a .308 and still get you way beyond 1000 yds above transonic.  The .308 will shoot to 1000yds, just don't expect much precision from a 20 inch barrel...way too short to generate decent performance at 1000.  Fine for steel basing and having fun, but for target, there's a reason serious comp shooters use 30 to 32 inch barrels in .308.

Archived