Problems with Strelok Pro and 185gr Berger Jugg

I encountered a major problem with my ballistic solution (Strelok Pro) and 185gr Berger Jugg. Yesterday I entered a competition at ~1000y (exactly 908m) with no sighting shots. I used my new handloads (185gr Berger Jugg BC G7 .284 @819m/s measured with Labradar). Strelok calculated I should adjust up by 32.9MOA from my 100m zero. That was around 1.8MOA too high... After adjustaing and calculating I found that actual elevation from 100m zero was 31.125MOA (final group was still 0.7MOA to high as pictured in the photo).

I tried "truing" my BC/velocity, and either the Bergers actual BC is 0.296 (unlikely), MV is 830m/s (Labradar error?) or the ballistic app is wrong...

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Michal

target_image-46.jpg

There’s a Strelok Facebook group that will probably have the answer.  Other than that can you give more details of your settings. 

Things like spin drift, powder temp and others can and do make a difference. 

Have you tested the scope for adjustment for elevation at distance to varify the click adjustment versus impact measurement ? Just a thought ...

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt that Strelok is at fault as the maths is sound.  What isn't are (generally) BC figures which are approximations  based on form factors for either out-dated projectiles or crude approximations for the bullets you shoot.  These are often incorrectly quoted by bullet makers.  There's no "one BC" for all ranges as changes in velocity affect the BC. Strelok has functionality that allows G7 BC multiple figures to be used  (using multiple values of BC over distance/with changes in velocity) which need verification at your distance, by measuring drops at say 300, 600 and 1000yds.  You can then true the BC or the velocity in Strelok.  I have tuned mine using the G7 multi-bc values then adjusted MVs and have found strelok to be very precise now when I want to shoot that load at any distance from 200 to 1000 yds.  Last outing at 600m and strelok got me to within 0.2 MRads of correct elevation first shot on target which wasn't great but had I re-entered MV from the latest batch of powder, I would have found that it would have been more accurate, possibly within 0.1MRads.  There's other considerations such as temperature effects on powder, atmospheric pressure, spindrift etc etc. By and large Strelock does a good job, as do many of the competitor ballistic solutions.  You just have to learn their individual peculiarities and work with them.

17 hours ago, VarmLR said:

I doubt that Strelok is at fault as the maths is sound.  .....

Thanks for this very useful info.  I also struggle to get ballistics programmes to agree with real life and agree that it could well be BCs being inaccurate. 

Also worth checking the data you have entered - scope height above bore, temp etc (when chrono'd and competition).